Apple Debuts New iPod Print Ad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    Nice, I like it. Do you mind if I email it to a friend of mine along with a pic of the Ipod ad? He loves the Simpsons, but just doesn't get Macs. But I think he can appreciate this, He is the man with 4 Rolling Stones/Simpson parody covers framed on his wall.
  • Reply 42 of 70
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Knock yourself out. Just be a pal and include my name (Paul Scates) and e-mail address with it:

[email protected]

That's all.

I'd like to see where it might wind up...
  • Reply 43 of 70
    Cool, will do, thanks.
  • Reply 44 of 70
    You can see all the ads at the new iPod store site. The ads that ran last week said "7,500 songs in your pocket". The new ones will need to say "10,000"! Here's the page. Click on the color squares at the top right for the various ads.
  • Reply 45 of 70
    Anyone notice the five colors Apple offers to choose for the backgrounds of the iPod ads?

Seems like five familiar fruits...
  • Reply 46 of 70
    Yup. The translucent versions worked so why not the more solid rich versions. All pleasing colors. Can you say 2 million iPods sold by the end of the year!?
  • Reply 47 of 70
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Anyone else think these iPod ads would make a great series of posters (like Think Different)?

I can definitely see them popping up as such at the Apple Stores or even as bus shelter ads. Anyone know how to disassemble a bus shelter?
  • Reply 48 of 70
    Totally! You just KNOW that by this weekend these large format versions of these colorful iPod things will be hanging in the front windows of the Apple retail stores!

And yeah: bus stops, billboards, signage in CompUSA, etc. will all be carrying this new campaign.

GOOD! It's much more eye-catching and exciting than the stark white stuff, so that's good.

I just think it's neat because, in a roundabout way it's sort of a revival of the cool iMac clors. Not on hardware or anything (really passe and overdone at this point), but just nicely used in some marketing.

Nice to see Apple using my favorite color again...
  • Reply 49 of 70
    Prediction: Look for Apple to offer versions of the posters for sale.
  • Reply 50 of 70
    Prediction: I seriously $#!@ing doubt it.

They haven't offered any of their other cool stuff for sale, have they? Unless, of course, you're lucky enough to live -or vacation - near the Cupertino HQ and can visit their cool store there, I guess.

\
  • Reply 51 of 70
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I don't know. Apple did offer the 'Think Different' series as posters. Of course, these aren't nearly as groundbreaking, but I'm sure there's lots of little Apple-geeks that wouldn't mind a poster of the girl on blue. Even as a silhouette she's a hottie.
  • Reply 52 of 70
    Perv.
  • Reply 53 of 70
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Guilty.
  • Reply 54 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

You can see all the ads at the new iPod store site. The ads that ran last week said "7,500 songs in your pocket". The new ones will need to say "10,000"! Here's the page. Click on the color squares at the top right for the various ads.

EXTREMELY PICKY NOTE OF THE DAY:

The leading of the letters on the blue poster are different from all the rest. Go back and forth between the red and blue and see what I mean. Lots of shifting going on there....DAMN YOU APPLE!!!!

http://www.apple.com/ipod/

----------------------

RosettaStoned
  • Reply 55 of 70
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    by the way, having just left toronto in the rearview mirror, i can say that this is almost EXACTLY the same color and "silhouette" technique of print and television ads for The Flow radio hip-hop, r&b, and rap station in toronto. it's actually version 2.0 of their ads, but even their first ad campaign (where they took items from music and used them as dual imagery for african-american culture -- or would that be african-canadian culture?). all in all, they kicked serious ass as an ad campaign.

i wonder if the same studio who did those did these for apple? i am serious when i say they looked almost exactly the same (minus the ipod, of course).

i will see if i can find images to post to make the comparison.

edit: yep, found 'em. certainly, the colors are subdued compared to apple's offerings, but i can say without a shadow of doubt that this ad campaign came first (i want to say almost a year ago).

Here's their website, for anyone who is interested.
  • Reply 56 of 70
    Please do! That would be interesting to see.
  • Reply 57 of 70
    ...bout time we had some colour on that ghostly white Apple site.

White is nice. I love it.

The new print ads look great. Kick ass. More like it for the iPod. Now. Some tv ads with Austin Power groovy colours? Maybe even get Austin Powers to groove with his iPod?

But...I've been gagging Apple to bring back a little bit of colour. I think they do colour very well.

Well, apart from the pattern iMacs...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 58 of 70
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

by the way, having just left toronto in the rearview mirror, i can say that this is almost EXACTLY the same color and "silhouette" technique of print and television ads for The Flow radio hip-hop, r&b, and rap station in toronto. it's actually version 2.0 of their ads, but even their first ad campaign (where they took items from music and used them as dual imagery for african-american culture -- or would that be african-canadian culture?). all in all, they kicked serious ass as an ad campaign.

As a Torontonian, that was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the iPod ads. But Toronto is a small market in the bigger picture so I doubt Apple would have cared one way or the other.

I know the ad agency who did the Flow ads, and I don't believe they have Apple as an account. The campaign did win some industry awards so it doesn't preclude the possibility that some other agency "borrowed" the same basic design but threw in an iPod.
  • Reply 59 of 70
    Wow, good pull!

Definitely a closeness there. But with a silhouetted figure on a solid, colorful background I guess they're bound to look a like a little bit.

Not too much you can do to make them different.

But yeah, I think there was some friendly "borrowing" going on here. But they both look great (the Toronto station and Apple).
  • Reply 60 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

...bout time we had some colour on that ghostly white Apple site.

But...I've been gagging Apple to bring back a little bit of colour. I think they do colour very well.

Yes the injection of colour on the website was very striking when I pulled up the website!

Is anyone else thinking coloured iPod's? a la flavoured iMac's or is Apple to far past that now? People love choice of colour, just there's nothing like that in the range at the moment apart from the metal / white divide which is already present in the iPod.

[Spelling edit]