New Displays Maybe Note

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    30" Display - sure hope so. AND I earnestly hope the new cinemas will have continued SWOP certification and any additional certs related to color fidelity and print, pre-press, graphic and design folks. I can hardly wait for a nice 30" SWOP cert display and more!
  • Reply 42 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by coolmac

Now this is a gorgeous display

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...W%2fB&Dept=cpu

I would rather get the Apple 23" over that... and the Apple's costs $1000 less
  • Reply 43 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by coolmac

Now this is a gorgeous display

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...W%2fB&Dept=cpu

No big whoop. Apple's is designed so much better, check out the ugly "disk" at the bottom. It looks stupid. Most publications I have read say that Apple has the best displays out there, not to mention in real life they DO look sharper.
  • Reply 44 of 73
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I've said it before, but any new display from Apple will need to have a thinner bezel framing.

But instead of just making it smooth stainless steel, add the same cheese grater texture of the G5 (but make the holes much smaller and closer together). Keep the same easy tilt/adjust third leg at the back but somehow make it wall mountable as well.

And oh, make the 17" a widescreen.
  • Reply 45 of 73
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah, I'd love to see a standalone 1440x900 17" display from Apple...in new "aluminated" design with less wasted area around the screen area itself.

Since the displays are meant to go with the G5 and the PowerBooks, I'm hoping to see an update/redesign at SOME point. Besides, it's been YEARS at this current design. Everything else has changed so drastically over the past 3 years (the iMac, iBook and towers).
  • Reply 46 of 73
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 570member
    The Sony's nice - I like the swivel/tilt stand, and the thinner bezel. I don't really like the 23" Apple - I use one every day at work. The bezel is FAT, the screen ghosts a lot and it just sits there, impossible to move. I also think it looks too plasticky.

Hope fully an Apple update will include the thinner metallic bezel, better stand and slightly higher resolution. The I'll buy one for myself.
  • Reply 47 of 73
    sunreinsunrein Posts: 138member
    Hey all,

I'm a brand new switcher w/ a maxed out 15" albook on the way. (80 gig 5400 HD, superdrive, 2 gigs ram) I'm on pins and needles to get it. The only thing that sucks is buying all new software, but I'm grinning through the pain.

Back to topic... I'm just wondering what kind of price drop we'll see in the existing size displays. I'd get one of the 20" in a heartbeat if it dipped below 1k.
  • Reply 48 of 73
    When could we be looking at new designs of Displays? Nov or Jan?

The current Displays are in the style of the toilet seat iBook ferrkrissakes!
  • Reply 49 of 73
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Peerpee

When could we be looking at new designs of Displays? Nov or Jan?

Toilet seat iBook?

Hadn't heard of that one before...

I am guessing November. As I recall, AI noted one source saying Nov too.
  • Reply 50 of 73
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    the 20" is also about 20% brighter than the rest of the apple display lineup.
  • Reply 51 of 73
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Peerpee

I think they were designed to look good alongside the pre-Quicksilver G4 tower and Cube (around 2001). They have the same expanses of clear plastic. I'm not sure where the pinstripes came from.
  • Reply 52 of 73
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

I'm not sure where the pinstripes came from.

OS X menu bar
  • Reply 53 of 73
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but when the G4 first came out in August 1999, I really don't remember it having a matching display. By that, I mean that the blueberry tripod Studio Displays were still around and sold in the catalogs at the same time.

I remember telling people "okay, THIS is wrong...a company this concerned with style/appearance isn't going to sell this gorgeous, silver/graphite tower along with a Smurfy-looking display!"

Sure enough, those things eventually went to graphite.

Granted, they were the same displays...just colored differently.

Point is, several weird months seemed to go by that the G4 co-existed with the blue displays. Am I wrong on this? Someone check the dates.

But I could swear I'd look in the catalogs for a few months, hoping to see graphite-colored Studio Displays and it took a while before they arrived.

Maybe the same thing is happening now and there are indeed more G5-styled displays waiting in the wings?
  • Reply 54 of 73
    What better way to get rid of a overstock of displays than to lower the price and introduce a kick asset computer like the Dual G5?

My luck I'll wait a bit for the new monitors, then they will come out a week after the new system is up and running.
  • Reply 55 of 73
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Well, I hope they come out soon. I ordered a Radeon 9800 pro and can't use it until I get a new display. I have the old 17" crt (ADC) and the dvi-adc adapter doesn't support it. So... I'm waiting to see what Apple releases. Hopefully they'll be DVI so I won't have to buy the adapter.
  • Reply 56 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Yeah, I'd love to see a standalone 1440x900 17" display from Apple...in new "aluminated" design with less wasted area around the screen area itself.

Since the displays are meant to go with the G5 and the PowerBooks, I'm hoping to see an update/redesign at SOME point. Besides, it's been YEARS at this current design. Everything else has changed so drastically over the past 3 years (the iMac, iBook and towers).

Something like this perhaps?

http://www.theapplecollection.com/de...isplay_g5.html
  • Reply 57 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by tsukurite

Something like this perhaps?

http://www.theapplecollection.com/de...isplay_g5.html

I must have this now.
  • Reply 58 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Point is, several weird months seemed to go by that the G4 co-existed with the blue displays. Am I wrong on this? Someone check the dates.

I think you are mistaken.

I have a Yikes! machine and a graphite 15" LCD (gooseneck sytle) display that I got at the same time.

Man that was a long time ago.

I'm also working right now on a (client's) Dually G5 and getting very spoiled by the speed.

When i get this site built and hand it over to them (intranet server for them) I'm really going to miss it.
  • Reply 59 of 73
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    LG | Philips has announced a second-generation 23" LCD unit that will be available in Q4 of this year. If they still have the exclusive agreement with Apple for their top-end stuff, that's pretty much all you need to know. The only question is how soon. January announcement seems likely to me but maybe they'll surprise us sooner than that.
  • Reply 60 of 73
    what are the specs?