New iBooks?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
When do you expect new iBooks and what could be the specs? G4 with QuartzExtrem?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I expect to see new iBooks with improved graphics cards, Airport Extreme, Internal Bluetooth, and a G3 processor.

This will be the last iBook with a G3 and will be released within the next 2-3 months.

The iBook will go to a G4 in October/November after the 970 has been released. I expect Apple to upgrade the PowerBook line to include the 970s and at that point, we will see 970s in the Professional line and G4s in the consumer line. 970s will make it into the iMac within 1 year after the launch of the 970s.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    sounds likea realistic timeline
  • Reply 3 of 45
    [quote]Originally posted by Gulliver:

<strong>with QuartzExtrem?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Current top model already has this, and G4 has nothing to do with QE.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>I expect to see new iBooks with improved graphics cards, Airport Extreme, Internal Bluetooth, and a G3 processor.</strong><hr></blockquote>I believe your pretty much on target. I would specify the date to be Tuesday, April 29th for new iBooks.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    All the latest iBooks support Quartz Extreme, not just the top model. The previous models with the 700MHz chip and the Radeon mobility graphics also support QE.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    [quote]Originally posted by DHagan4755:

<strong>Tuesday, April 29th</strong><hr></blockquote>

Based on...?
  • Reply 7 of 45
    ensoniqensoniq Posts: 131member
    I'd agree that whatever else the next revision of the iBook includes, a G4 is not going to be one of the upgrades.

Take a look at the 12" Aluminum PowerBook. THAT is the G4 iBook we've all been waiting for. The fact that it exists clearly indicates that we're at least one revision away from a G4 in the iBook line.

When it comes time for Apple to release a 12" G4 iBook, it's going to be a very simple process for them. Using exactly the same hardware in every detail, simply replace the outside Aluminum casing with white plastic. Done. You have a 12" G4 iBook, and the crowd cheers.

But to do that, one of two things would have to happen first:

1 - Apple needs to convert the entire PowerBook line to a mobile version of the PPC 970, so that the "obsolete" G4 can be used in iBooks without any worry of non-distinction between the iBook and PowerBook 12" machines. (Unlikely...)

2 - Apple needs to add all of the special features that the 17" PowerBook (and likely the updated 15" PowerBook) has. Meaning FireWire 800 port, GeForce 440, backlit keyboard, L3 cache, etc. Then the only difference between the 12" and 17" are size, not features. This allows for the previously "crippled" 12" PowerBook to be renamed the iBook. (More likely...)

Like it or not, I just don't see a G4 being used in an iBook until one of the above two scenarios occurs first. Apple has very little way to separate the two lines otherwise.

-- Ensoniq
  • Reply 8 of 45
    johngrjohngr Posts: 3member
    Hmm, I do not believe that the iBooks will ever get a G4 CPU. I think that it will have a light version of the PPC970 or G5 or whatever... and it's the best thing to do!

I believe that all Macs should jump on the 64bit bandwagon
  • Reply 9 of 45
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    [quote]1 - Apple needs to convert the entire PowerBook line to a mobile version of the PPC 970, so that the "obsolete" G4 can be used in iBooks without any worry of non-distinction between the iBook and PowerBook 12" machines. (Unlikely...)<hr></blockquote>

Based on information we have, the 970 could be put into a PowerBook. The only reservation I have about is that the motherboard would have to be redesigned to allow for the 970 in the current case design (which is already brand new).

It will be interesting to see what happens.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    It could be that they new Aluminium enclosures were prepared with this in mind, while the 15 was allowed to stay as is, because it is merely an update of an older Mobo.

They are just thin slabs really, a mobo would be made to fit the enclosure and not the other way around, probably.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>

Based on information we have, the 970 could be put into a PowerBook. The only reservation I have about is that the motherboard would have to be redesigned to allow for the 970 in the current case design (which is already brand new).

It will be interesting to see what happens.</strong><hr></blockquote>

i will be very interested to see what happens too

what is the powerconsumption of a squeest 970 comparing to nowadays G4 1Ghz?
  • Reply 12 of 45
    os10geekos10geek Posts: 413member
    This is what I am seeing:

The 970 gets released in the Powermac. (July)

The 970 is instituted in the xServe (November)

Then, finally, the 970 goes into the Powerbook(December)

My Xserve and Powerbook release dates might be in reverse, but Ihope that July for the PM is correct. The G4 iBook will be released at the same date as the 970 powerbook, so the Powerbook is one prcessor generation ahead.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    gullivergulliver Posts: 122member
    [quote]Originally posted by os10geek:

<strong>This is what I am seeing:

The 970 gets released in the Powermac. (July)

The 970 is instituted in the xServe (November)

Then, finally, the 970 goes into the Powerbook(December)

My Xserve and Powerbook release dates might be in reverse, but Ihope that July for the PM is correct. The G4 iBook will be released at the same date as the 970 powerbook, so the Powerbook is one prcessor generation ahead.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That would mean new iBooks only in January 2004?

I cannot believe that, since the last update took place in November 2002!
  • Reply 14 of 45
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    G4's run much hotter than G3's. One of the reasons for the metal cases of the PBs is this increased heat dissipation. They also have fans. (Does the iBook have a fan?)

This being the case, I doubt that iBooks will get G4s until the 7457s are available (in late 2003), and possibly not even then.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I really, REALLY doubt all the PowerBooks will stay with just GeForce 440s/Radeon 9000s. ATI just released the Radeon 9600 Mobility, I don't see why Apple would choose anything other than that for their top end PowerBooks. Maybe GeForce 420/440 or Radeon 9000 on the iBooks, while the PowerBooks get GeForce Ti4200s and Radeon 9600s. Apple's shown that they're able to really roll out graphics updates quickly for their laptops, and they'll need to go all out in every area if they're going to compete with the new Intel Centrinos.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by cubist:

<strong>G4's run much hotter than G3's. One of the reasons for the metal cases of the PBs is this increased heat dissipation. They also have fans. (Does the iBook have a fan?)</strong><hr></blockquote>

G4s are currently fabbed on a .18 micron process, and G3s on a .13 micron process. That's most of the reason. The 7447 G4 should not require much more than the G3 does now.

The iBook does have a fan, BTW. Read/write optical drives get hot, and so do hard drives.

[quote]<strong>This being the case, I doubt that iBooks will get G4s until the 7457s are available (in late 2003), and possibly not even then.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd vote for iBooks getting G4s shortly after the debut of the 7457. Once the PowerBooks go 970, there's no reason not to. The iBook can always get an upgrade to a higher density battery to compensate for the extra couple of watts.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Good point. The hottest component in my iBook has got to be the hard drive. The rest stays very cool under all circumstances.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    Here's a practical Time line...

- 15" PowerBook update this Spring

- PPC 970 goes into PowerMacs this Fall

- PPC 970 in PowerBooks Summer 2004 (possibly later)

- After all that, then the iBook might be bummped to a G4

You can't just update your whole line to PPC 970 as you please. Things have to be completely redesigned. Updates take time. Anyone who has been waiting for the G5 should understand that.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    I think the next thing we'll see on the ibook is Airport Extreme. After that, probaby ATI 9000 video. I don't think ibooks are going to jump to G4.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

sounds likea realistic timeline

Joke? I can?t a see Apple moving to a new laptop chip before this time next year (clue - they just introduced two new machines).