Once again Limbaugh proves he's . . . . .

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
An idiot:

McNabb is touted only because he's black

Limbaugh says that the media wants McNabb to do well because they want a black quarterback to succeed:

HELLO!?!?!?!? Rush, there are many successful . . . very succesful, black quaterbacks . . . there are, and have been.

Besides McNabb's record speaks for itself, he IS good and not just good in the "media's" eyes . . . the media that evil lefty bastion that pays Limbaugh to be a spokesman . . . and Hannity and O'Rielly and etc etcectetc

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Warren Moon was a pretty good black QB too IIRC.
  • Reply 2 of 73
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    What the hell's he doing on ESPN to begin with?

Jeff
  • Reply 3 of 73
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeffyboy

What the hell's he doing on ESPN to begin with?

Ratings.

Quote:

With Limbaugh,ratings for the ESPN show are up 10 percent overall this season, and up 26 percent among men 18 to 34 years old, Nagle said. Sunday's show drew its biggest audience in the regular season since November 1996.

"ESPN hired Limbaugh for his passion and his ability to express opinion and spark debate as a football fan," Nagle said. "In just one month, he has certainly delivered."

AP
  • Reply 4 of 73
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    spark debate? yeah, i guess. but like shannon sharpe said, the man doesn't know the difference between a screen pass and a screen door.

• Reply 5 of 73
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    ESPN hired Rish Limbaugh?!

Bad enough they have started these ridiculous reality shows (Bimbos on a Boat) and even a fictitious series about professional football players. Now this. I'm really starting to lose respect for ESPN as a serious sports network. The magazine isn't too bad of the articles I've read, but the enterprise as a whole is lagging badly.

Get a clue Bristol.
  • Reply 6 of 73
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    actually, "playmakers" is a really good show. a bit unrealistic to think that all of those problems would be on ONE team, but still, i enjoy it...

i like how rush's reply (paraphrased here) was "i must have said something right if everyone is up in arms about it." uh, huh. right, rush. we NEVER get mad at public figures spouting idiocy as if it were gospel truth.

pisser is that on espn.com, they state like three times how much the ratings are up since he has been brought on board. i got good money tom jackson walks over and beats the crap outta rush by the end of the season.

p.s. i also love how rush says hides behind the "if we really had freedom of speech in this country, then everyone should recgonize that these are just words." dear rush, it's called "tact." and yes, you are a tactless jackass. true, i can go to a funeral and tell the deceased's living relatives "well, gosh, aren't you gald they're dead? i know i am. what? it's JUST my opinion." it is manipulation of this "right" to get a rise out of people that is unfair. you live in a social atmosphere, rush. not a vaccum. every action has repercussions. to ignore those reverberations and act indignant all the while is utterly irresponsible, especially considering the fact that you are afforded a position int he public spotlight not available to most.
  • Reply 7 of 73
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Okay, diverging on the topic of Rush at the moment, this DOES bring up something I've always thought about McNabb.

HE REALLY IS OVERRATED considering his salary

As far as black QBs go, I'd take a healthy McNair over him, because he plays with even fewer options at WR and a considerably worse o-line. I'd even take a risk on Vick over him considering how much raw speed he has. And we may yet get to see Culpepper shine as they finally have a teammates that can actually suppress the pash rush.
  • Reply 8 of 73
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    McNabb is one of the most overrated QBs in the NFL right now. He can't carry the team, he never has. The fact that the Eagles were still dominant last year with Detmer starting should tell you something.

Rush overplays the race factor (but it's there) and completely ignores the East Coast media bias. He's big because he's a black QB in Philadelphia, not because he's just a black QB.
  • Reply 9 of 73
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    And Rush is just plain big. Huge, really... full of shite, as it were.
  • Reply 10 of 73
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

He's big because he's a black QB in Philadelphia, not because he's just a black QB.

What gives you this idea?
  • Reply 11 of 73
    The reason I think that?

Steve McNair
  • Reply 12 of 73
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    This sounds like a pretty good QB to me.

Compare McNabb's first four seasons in the NFL to McNair's first four seasons, and the Eagles' quarterback comes out ahead.

McNair, the third overall pick in the 1995 NFL draft, started 38 games and completed 634 of 1,130 passes in his first four NFL seasons. He had 38 touchdowns, 28 interceptions and a 77.9 quarterback rating. He started just six games in his first two seasons and led his team to a 16-16 record and zero playoff appearances in his third and fourth seasons.

McNabb started 48 games in his first four seasons and has led the Eagles to the playoffs in each of the last three seasons, including appearances in the NFC championship game the last two years. His playoff record is 4-3. He completed 932 of 1,639 passes in his first four years and had 71 touchdowns, 38 interceptions, and a 79.2 quarterback rating.

McNair, 30, has been sensational his last four seasons, leading Tennessee to the Super Bowl in the 1999 season and the AFC championship game last season. He also has become a more accurate passer while remaining a dangerous runner.

McNabb, who by his own admission didn't play well in the first two games of this season, is only 26 and definitely has a chance to continue developing. After the critical comments by the ESPN panel Sunday, McNabb went out and had his best game of the season, leading the Eagles to a 23-13 win over the Buffalo Bills.

He completed 18 of 29 passes for 172 yards and also ran nine times for 47 yards.
  • Reply 13 of 73
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Boycott Sunday Night Football?

Boycott ESPN?

I have eliminated ESPN as my internet sports news site and will not visit again until they fire Rush Limbaugh.

• Reply 14 of 73
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Anyone remember Jimmy the Greek? Didn't think so

(an unfair comparison but ...)
  • Reply 15 of 73
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    You know, the whole race issue with athletes and head coaches seems like such a red herring to me. I might lead a very sheltered life, but not a single person I know thinks about these people's skin color or background having anything to do with their talent, expectations, qualifications or popularity (er, with the probable exception of Allen Iverson ). The race card only gets pulled when the jock gets arrested. Do people really think in these terms?

I mean, I think McNabb is OK. He is a great athlete but he isn't a good passer, doesn't see the field well, and has the dubious distinction of being the most qualified for any position on his team's offense including the O-line. Limbaugh is falling into the trap that even McNabb and the Eagles' coaching staff has fallen into. They all expect him to do everything, when in fact, he can't and he doesn't have the support around him that he needs.
  • Reply 16 of 73
    chu_bakka:

Quote:

This sounds like a pretty good QB to me.

Compare McNabb's first four seasons in the NFL to McNair's first four seasons, and the Eagles' quarterback comes out ahead.

It sounds like a pretty good QB to me as well. McNabb is definitely a pretty good QB.

McNair's first two years were with the Houston Oilers who were falling down the shitter Bengals-style. McNair's second two years were spent with the Tennessee Oilers, who were equally sucktastic.

McNabb came in with the Philadelphia Eagles. Quite a different situation; quite different. He is in an easier division on a better team.

McNair is better than McNabb by quite a bit. It's really not even close.
  • Reply 17 of 73
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Anyone remember Jimmy the Greek? Didn't think so

(an unfair comparison but ...)

Yes I remember him . . ..
  • Reply 18 of 73
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

McNair is better than McNabb by quite a bit. It's really not even close.

Err, by quite a bit? It's close to be sure, but if one asks a hundred people, I think McNabb comes out slightly ahead. On top of that, are there any other quarterbacks you would rather have than those two?

I'm drawing a blank right now on who I would choose over them. Michael Vick is close, but still immature. Chad Pennington, Joey Harrington? No. Daunte Culpepper? No. What's his name from the Patriots? No. Hometown QB David Carr has a great arm but still needs a little more matriculation. Byron Leftwich looks to have huge potential.

And I would debate the suggestion that a QB can carry a team. I really doubt any QB can carry bad team. Really really doubt it. A good team really is an integration of good coaching, motivated players, and good offense/defense design schemes.
  • Reply 19 of 73
    Rush Limbaugh Resigns

In the wake of his controversial statements regarding Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, Rush Limbaugh has resigned from his position on ESPN's NFL pregame show. ESPN has accepted the resignation.

http://espn.go.com/
  • Reply 20 of 73
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    yeah, I gotta admit... Rush kind of blew this one. Rush isn't a racist, but it was a pretty stupid thing to say. His point may have even been well intentioned, but nonetheless, he was smart to resign - it was a dumb thing to say.