Great things to come from....APPLE - part 2

Comments

• Reply 61 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by kormac77

Happy New year 2004!

Is rumored "iBox" quiet resemble something ?

Maybe we can expect unexpected ?

I will make some note here.

/Beavis mode on

Uh..... yeah.
  • Reply 62 of 85
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

What does this accomplish that iMovie and iDVD can't with a $3 disc and the DVD player you already got for $79? Even an iBook can plug into a TV, although not (yet) at HDTV resolutions.

I can see Apple offering monitors with HDTV resolutions + a few vertical pixels for creating and viewing HDTV content, streamed or stored locally or read from optical media (DVDs). I can see Apple moving aggressively into HDTV content creation. But they can do all of this without tying Macs to TVs themselves in any specific way. After all, if you want to play Mac-authored content on a TV you can do that right now.

If TiVo supported Rendezvous (are they working on that? I forget...) the Mac could even stream a movie to it over wireless and the TiVo could play it on the TV. All the pieces are available, they just have to be put in place.

All the pieces were there for the iPod and iTMS as well, but no one else did it. I think that is the point, when everyone else drops the ball (developer wise) Apple feels that it is their duty to move in and fill the void created by poorly or incomplete implementation of technology. Rendezvous has been out for how long? Philips and one other company said they were going to support it, but I couldn't name a product that uses it by them. I do think TiVo or Replay said they were going to support Rendezvous as well, again no shipping product to date. This is a perfect opportunity for Apple to move in, just like they did with the iPod, and show the industry what will work, and how to make it work right.
  • Reply 63 of 85
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I got a TiVo for Christmas, so an iBox is, dare I say it, CONFIRMED!
  • Reply 64 of 85
    Quote:

What does this accomplish that iMovie and iDVD can't with a $3 disc and the DVD player you already got for $79?...

After all, if you want to play Mac-authored content on a TV you can do that right now.

James, as always, you are one of the few to "get" it. The whole iBox thing is by definition unnecessary.

A "set-top" version of iDVD is especially ludicrous.
  • Reply 65 of 85
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    happy new year to y'all...

hiya kormac77.

it's funny you only post when someone digs up a old thread!

c'mon give us something to chew on! it is the eve of macworld afterall!
  • Reply 66 of 85
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by whoami

happy new year to y'all...

hiya kormac77.

it's funny you only post when someone digs up a old thread!

c'mon give us something to chew on! it is the eve of macworld afterall!

He's never given us a damn thing.
  • Reply 67 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

I got a TiVo for Christmas, so an iBox is, dare I say it, CONFIRMED!

You missed some stars... you mean to say:

Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

I got a TiVo for Christmas, so an iBox is, dare I say it, **CONFIRMED**!

• Reply 68 of 85
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

James, as always, you are one of the few to "get" it. The whole iBox thing is by definition unnecessary.

I think the definition of the iBox needs to be changed. Currently there is no cheap & easy way to network your TV to your Mac so that you can view/control recorded TV content or downloaded content on your TV. The Mac/PC doesn't want to live with the TV, but the two need to talk. The box to do this needs minimal capability, should be cheap, small, and utterly silent.
  • Reply 69 of 85
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I don't think the broadcast industry wants their stuff anywhere near a computer that has video editing, burning and publishing capabilities. They even fought time-shifting bitterly, and the Mac is capable of much more than that. Given that Apple has not accepted the industry's push for absolute lockdown of content, they doubtless see the Mac as a threat: After all, they know full well what kind of ability it has to take existing video, play with it, and share it.

Television is a final destination, and the corporations that create content for television prefer it that way. All the HDTV standards are pushing hard in the direction of making that more true than it currently is with broadcast TV. The movie studios, anxious about broadcasting movies to HDTVs, are behind this 100%. Considering that these are the very industries that Apple is currently trying to break into, they will have to tread very carefully here. The TV and movie industries make the music industry look libertine.

In the meantime, most of the desired capabilities already exist, even if they're not entirely seamless.
  • Reply 70 of 85
    For the telephony phreaks out there: PhoneValet
  • Reply 71 of 85
    For mini-pod, Can this make some sense ?

To make 2GB version, you need only 4 of this.

And if you think the price will be way too high,

think again.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semi...ily_cd=FME0111

K9W4G16U1M 256Mx16 2.7~3.6 C,I 50 48TSOP1 Mass Production 0.12um,Dual die(2G DDP*2)

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semi...K9W4G16U1M.htm

================================================== =======

K9W4G16U1M

128M x 16 Bit NAND Flash Memory

General Description

Offered in 256Mx8bit or 128Mx16bit, the K9K2GXXX0M is 2G bit with spare 64M bit capacity. Its NAND cell provides the most costeffective solution for the solid state mass storage market. A program operation can be performed in typical 300µs on the 2112-byte(X8 device) or 1056-word(X16 device) page and an erase operation can be performed in typical 2ms on a 128K-byte(X8 device) or 64Kword(X16 device) block. Data in the data page can be read out at 80ns(1.8V device) or 50ns(3.3V device) cycle time per byte(X8 device) or word(X16 device). The I/O pins serve as the ports for address and data input/output as well as command input. The on-chip write controller automates all program and erase functions including pulse repetition, where required, and internal verification and margining of data. Even the write-intensive systems can take advantage of the K9K2GXXX0M's extended reliability of 100K program/erase cycles by providing ECC(Error Correcting Code) with real time mapping-out algorithm. The K9K2GXXX0M is an optimum solution for large nonvolatile storage applications such as solid state file storage and other portable applications requiring non-volatility.

An ultra high density solution having two 2Gb stacked with two chip selects is also available in standard TSOPI

================================================== =======
  • Reply 72 of 85
    Jesus, just stop it already? When have you been right?\
  • Reply 73 of 85
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Thing is he has been right once...the 22" Cinema Display. Since then we have heard of him reading PDF's after a Keynote showing a product that used Domino that was "pulled at the last minute". While stories like this are ridiculous and hurt credibility he does add to the board.

While his cryptic wording makes him allude that he knows something what he is actually doing is just generating discussion which is what we are all here to do...yes?
  • Reply 74 of 85
    naderbynaderby Posts: 131member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bodhi

Thing is he has been right once...the 22" Cinema Display. Since then we have heard of him reading PDF's after a Keynote showing a product that used Domino that was "pulled at the last minute". While stories like this are ridiculous and hurt credibility he does add to the board.

While his cryptic wording makes him allude that he knows something what he is actually doing is just generating discussion which is what we are all here to do...yes?

...and the slot loading iMac.
  • Reply 75 of 85
    merlionmerlion Posts: 143member
    Happy new year K-Man!

Thanks once again for the insider info.

• Reply 76 of 85
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Yeah, the nerve of discussion that doesn't make it to market, Hang-em I say, Hang-em high from the Moscone iPod Banner...
  • Reply 77 of 85
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

I don't think the broadcast industry wants their stuff anywhere near a computer that has video editing, burning and publishing capabilities. They even fought time-shifting bitterly, and the Mac is capable of much more than that. Given that Apple has not accepted the industry's push for absolute lockdown of content, they doubtless see the Mac as a threat: After all, they know full well what kind of ability it has to take existing video, play with it, and share it.

Television is a final destination, and the corporations that create content for television prefer it that way. All the HDTV standards are pushing hard in the direction of making that more true than it currently is with broadcast TV. The movie studios, anxious about broadcasting movies to HDTVs, are behind this 100%. Considering that these are the very industries that Apple is currently trying to break into, they will have to tread very carefully here. The TV and movie industries make the music industry look libertine.

In the meantime, most of the desired capabilities already exist, even if they're not entirely seamless.

True, but I do see that HDTV displays could become a viable "big screen monitor" very soon. Afterall,, it's just a DVI plug, and most computers already have some form of that. I'd love to buy a small form fator computer that just plugged right into my choice of DVI display, be that LCD panel, or 1080P television set. That set wouldn't be doing anything differnt than what my display normally does -- show me what the computer is doing.

As for the rest, that's more a question of having an onboard HDTV tuner on the machine, or a "DVI-in" -- if you want to play with broadcast content.

We're really just waiting for true 1080P sets to arrive, a couple years to go yet. When they do, they won't require much, if any, UI changes from the current UI/web standards. Desktop displays may have moved on to higher resolutions still, but the roughly 2MP resolution of an HDTV set, viewed at comfortable distances from 42"+ displays... that's going to look good and be comfortable for work and play too.
  • Reply 78 of 85
    kormac77kormac77 Posts: 197member
    Happy New year matsu !!!

I was waiting for you to come.

Do you remember whay we have talked last year.

I wish to see this time.

To other;

If you don't know what it was , then you can read this topic again.

Happy MWSF.
  • Reply 79 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

I think the definition of the iBox needs to be changed. Currently there is no cheap & easy way to network your TV to your Mac so that you can view/control recorded TV content or downloaded content on your TV. The Mac/PC doesn't want to live with the TV, but the two need to talk. The box to do this needs minimal capability, should be cheap, small, and utterly silent.

Thanks, Programmer! You say it much more clearly than I (in another thread).

We need to look beyond the simplistic images of DVR vs computer/TV amalgamation: the computer needs I/O access to the audio & video equipment - AND it needs fair-use access to a/v content.

Of course the copyright conglomerates object to fair-use considerations; the question is, ultimately, political: do the rights and prerogatives of citizens outweigh the agendas of corporations?

In the short term, as long as audio & video recording are not prohibited technologies, there is no legal or moral basis for limiting or restricting the equipment involved.
  • Reply 80 of 85
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    aren't physical displays a little old fashioned?

laser/retina systems were discribed more then 5 years ago? where the hack is my Wired collection................ But using goggles as a monitor makes you seasick, my experience?-

TV sets for the wall are done by Samsung.

Apple is not a TV set producer.

tonight? sorry, for you guys in the new territories: this morning, there's just music in the air: jam with your band in the garage and take it with you with a miniPod!

good night from europe