Panther: Annoyances

Comments

• Reply 41 of 96
    These are the things that I don't like:

http://homepage.mac.com/justspaztik/panthergui
  • Reply 42 of 96
    panther rocks my face off and i haven't run into any major problems yet, but since this is an 'annoyances' thread i thought i'd mention the scroll bars in the finder.

in icon view, if you delete a lot of files the scrollbutton would usually resize at least after one click. now it doesn't until you leave the folder and come back in. also, in column view, if i rename something from a to z, it automatically sends it to the bottom of the bottom of the column, but the scrollbar stays at the top. doesn't anybody else see this?

i've also had some problems with networking two macs over airport cards. it wasn't this hard in jaguar, can anybody point me somewhere so that i can get some info about this? thanks.
  • Reply 43 of 96
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    I haven't played with it much but so far things seem ok on my G5. MissingSync for PocketPC doesn't seem to be seeing my handheld though.

One thing that was VERY strange though was the install: I did an archive and install, chose "Easy Install" and once it was finished and restarted it didn't prompt me for disc 2 but booted off the CD again and I had to archive and install again. So, now that everything is working, I have 2 archived system folders: my 10.2.8 and my incomplete 10.3. Did this happen to anyone else? Could this have mucked with things at all?
  • Reply 44 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by RosettaStoned

It's the little things that bug me. Here's one for you.

Open up a finder window in list view with only a few items in it. Make sure the window is not full.

Now in Jaguar, I could click in the open white space below the list and drag to select as many items as I want. Easy, right?

In Panther, I can't select items in list view without clicking on the line of one of the items. You can't click below the last item and drag up. What upsets me the most is that this DOES work in column view!! Click below and drag right up. Sucky.

Hope this wasn't too confusing. Anyone else bothered by this??

-----------------

RosettaStoned

Rosetta,

You hit the nail on the head. I absolutely can't STAND this in Panther. I've always clicked-drag-select files in list view, and Panther's new behavior is almost impossible for me to get used to. I dont' care if Apple changes something, just make sure the new way is as good or better than the old way. 10.3's method of selecting files plain sucks.

And what's up with hilighted icons in 10.3? Do they think Mac users are too dumb to see a subtley grayed icon? Now we have this garish windows-like box around the icon PLUS the file name hilighted blue. What's next in 10.4, are they going to put flashing neon lights and dancing bears around the file so we don't miss it?
  • Reply 45 of 96
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Is having a shaded highlight for icon selection so terrible and gaudy? I personally prefer it over darkening the icon since that makes the icon less readable. I do wish that there were some form of open app/document icon status though, not just for folders.
  • Reply 46 of 96
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by epimetheus

What's next in 10.4, are they going to put flashing neon lights and dancing bears around the file so we don't miss it?

That would be a hilarious easter egg, actually...
  • Reply 47 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Is having a shaded highlight for icon selection so terrible and gaudy? I personally prefer it over darkening the icon since that makes the icon less readable. I do wish that there were some form of open app/document icon status though, not just for folders.

I suppose that's a valid argument, although icon readability never seemed to be a huge issue for me in the years prior to OS X.

I can tolerate the gray box around the selected file, but shading the file name blue drives me nuts. I think the file has a label, when in fact it's highlighted/selected. And considering the new labels color the file name and not the icon itself makes it doubly confusing (and ugly in list view).
  • Reply 48 of 96
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Hard drive noise: in my first 1/2 hour of playing with Panther it sounded like the HD was spinning around and being accessed far more than it used to. Could this have anything to do with Journaling (and, on that topic, is it normal for Disk Utility to ID your startup disk as journaled after an Archive & Install but not grey out the button to toggle this on and off?)?

Still a bit nervous after my 2 Archive & Installs in a row. Since I haven't read about this anywhere else I wonder if it might not have been a Panther problem but me accidently unchecking those items which are on disc 2.

On the plus side, simply reinstalling the two apps that were giving me problems, MissingSync and the Cisco VPN client, fixed them up.

As an even bigger plus, it looks I can bin said Cisco client because the built-in VPN client actually seems to work now (and has a pretty new menu bar icon to boot!).
  • Reply 49 of 96
    I'm running a 1.8 G5 w/ 2 gigs ram. I updated to Panther last night (didn't opt for the clean install) and proudly state that it went very, very smoothly. So far FCP4 and its related programs appear to be functional, which is most important for my purposes.

BUT...(there has to be a but)..here's the minor annoyance:

The bubbles in my Marine Acquarium have become a solid white column.

Let this be the least of my problems, but it's slightly annoying regardless. Also, I have to put the disc in to use it now (guess I should have deauthorized somehow). Any tips or suggestions for either problem? Thanks.
  • Reply 50 of 96
    I'll add my voice to those not digging the highlighting of the icons. I wish I could at least change the color of the shading around the name to something else other than blue. I have my appearance selected as graphite for a reason.

My main annoyance right now is the fact that I now have to enter my admin password to eject my Firewire HD. I don't know if they figure that since there's an eject button next to the disk's icon in the sidebar, folks are going to be ejecting accidently all the time now or what.

I've also noticed that my HD (my FW one, at least) is also louder/busier. Normally this wouldn't bother me too much, but combined w/reports of Panther hosing FW HDs circling around, it's freaking me out. I did a clean install FWIW.
  • Reply 51 of 96
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by epimetheus

Rosetta,

You hit the nail on the head. I absolutely can't STAND this in Panther. I've always clicked-drag-select files in list view, and Panther's new behavior is almost impossible for me to get used to. I dont' care if Apple changes something, just make sure the new way is as good or better than the old way. 10.3's method of selecting files plain sucks.

And what's up with hilighted icons in 10.3? Do they think Mac users are too dumb to see a subtley grayed icon? Now we have this garish windows-like box around the icon PLUS the file name hilighted blue. What's next in 10.4, are they going to put flashing neon lights and dancing bears around the file so we don't miss it?

iThink they do that to make it so Aqua icons look prettier.
  • Reply 52 of 96
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Help, Panther is driving me crazy. The hotspots on the little red, orange and green gems loose there clickabilty. It doesn't happen all the time, but enough where I would like to put a bullet through the screen. I tried reinstalling, still the same thing, I know some people must be having this problem as every machine I install it on ( 5 so far) has this problem. Safari's Back and Forward button also seem to be affected, plus the Preferences tab under the blue Apple. It's so strange, I literally have to hunt around to find a pixel that allows clicking.
  • Reply 53 of 96
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Oh yeah, one more thing, anbody notice that the triangles under the Dock icons seem to blink. Weird
  • Reply 54 of 96
    Maybe it's your mouse... maybe the button is getting worn out. Did you try plugging in a different mouse to see if it was the problem? I am not having clicking problems in Panther at all (except for TextEdit. Sometimes I will click a mark I want, and it won't register that I clicked it, so I have to click it again.)

Everything else works fine for me.
  • Reply 55 of 96
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:

DMBand0026

Ya'll have to remember that this is 10.3, not 10.3.5 or something like that. It is in many ways a new OS. There are going to be bugs, there are going to be little annoyances. There were some with Jaguar. There were tons with the original OS X. I know this doesn't make any of this better, but we will soon see improvement. Give Apple feedback, let them know what you want changed and they will listen. We're gonna see 10.3.1 soon enough, that should solve many problems. Like I said, tell Apple, if they don't know what we like and don't like, nothing will get fixed..

I've sent about three bug reports, but they're all from crashes form various apps. I don't like sending reports, I reckon Apple are getting quite a few at the moment, so I've stopped now. We'll just have to wait for the next point release..

Quote:

eVo

The mouse speed/acceleration in OS X is still really horrible. It's just too unnatural. Of course, you can use 3rd party software to tweak the acceleration, but the built in acceleration is just plain bad and should be made better.. like it was in OS 9.

If you move the mouse slowly, the cursor will pretty much not move at all. Move the mouse quickly, and the cursor will jump across the screen too fast. This makes gaming and any graphics-intensive work impossible to do well. I wish they would just turn the acceleration OFF by default and gives more true, natural-feeling cursor movement.

But acceleration is more natural. Windows PCs are annoying for that very reason, if your mouse speed is high, moving the mouse a centimetre will leap the pointer across the screen. Very very annoying. But you are definetely right, there should be an option for turning it off..

Quote:

sc_markt

I miss the option of putting the clock in the dock.

Tickety tock with a hocketty pock.

(I'm sorry.. I just couldn't help it )

Quote:

Luca Rescigno

Look on the bright side: that's one more sale for Apple, contributing to their sales figures, and you get the nice shiny box and the nice shiny new CDs. All yours, all for you. Mmmmmm... shiny new CDs

Damn straight!

Quote:

Tuttle

iTunes:

The couple second delay when switching to the app is extremely annoying.

I haven't had this one.. I've heard of it a lot though. Strange the way everyone has different bugs. You'd think installing something from an identical copy would give identical results. I guess the configuration of each machine is slightly different and that's what makes the difference.

Quote:

mac's girl

Jimzip-- check your system log. looks like my problems under 10.3 are being caused by prebinding errors. everytime one of my apps crashed it said "could not be launched prebound." now, if i only knew what that meant and how to fix it... (reinstalling doesnt help.)

I don't know how to find the log or what prebinding is! But I don't seem to be getting that message either. Thank you for trying though, it is greatly appreciated.

On another note, I can honestly say I like the new selected icons. The grayed out ones were good, but we had them for thirteen years, they were getting old.. They fit with the general design feel of the OS.

The background selection mode looks much nicer than Windows! What are you talking about!

Jimzip
  • Reply 56 of 96
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I'll repeat an annoyance already mentioned: the grid size for icon views smaller than 128x128 is too sparse. I can't imagine that it's too difficult to treat the grid as proportional to the icon with Quartz in action. That said, it's another convenient thing about the background shading for selected icons is that you can get the idea of the grid size with it.

And one more admittedly nit-picky thing: in Jag, the icons with the image preview on in icon mode would not highlight on the desktop. Now they do, but that now means that they're the only icons that have both the new shaded background and the traditional shaded icon.
  • Reply 57 of 96
    Here are my problems:

Safari: I can't right click any option without killing the program. No matter if I'm trying to save an image, download link or open in new tab. Mozilla works just fine, though it is some much uglier than safari and I do like Safari much better. I keep sending Apple all the crash messages. But Safari is fine on my 400 MHz G3 iMac. I can right click away and no problems!

Putting my Dual G5 to sleep takes almost 40 seconds now (used to take about 10 secs), with or without a lot of stuff open. My 400 MHz iMac is 9 seconds flat. Both were upgraded at the same time. Sleep is my favorite feature and major reason for justifying spending so much for this system. I feel with the time savings I'll earn back the extra money for going Apple vs. Wintel. Coming out of sleep is is quick on both systems.

Network connections break after coming out of sleep. In Jag, when coming out of sleep, net connections (smb connections to my Linux server) were always ready to go. Now under Panther, I have to reconnect each time, a big time waster.

I made an Apple Talk connection to my iMac (finally figured out how to do that vs. smb) and when I turned on my G5 without the iMac running the Finder got so flaky and unstable that I finally had to login ssh and issue a "sudo reboot" to get the machine working correctly. That's was my first and only Panther crash so far.

Other than these items I like Panther a lot. Network speed is really good. I can VNC to my PC with very good screen refreshes. But PC keyboard locks up after a while and I have to reboot it. This is the VNC viewer programs fault not Panther. Can easily print to my PC printer. The system help is very good. Unlike Windows where I could never find anything, I have been able to type in an english like sentence and get back all the right matches to my questions, plus I can make the font as big as I want! A very nice feature if you eyes aren't that great at reading tiny print.

All in all very nice, but hope they fix these bugs or maybe should have done a archive install or clean slate install(????) But iMac is fine and has none of the G5's problems - Strange. . .

-Scott
  • Reply 58 of 96
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    The only bug I've noticed in Panther is this:

When you quickly resize a metal Finder window smaller, there is a sharp black corner on the top right corner of the window, probably a layering/buffer problem of some kind.

Weird.
  • Reply 59 of 96
    Well I got one for you guys!!! I can't Use it!! This stupid cat keeps killing my system. Its more unstable than a windows box. So far i have had the 6 crashes, 7 kernel panics and one instance of the UI become so screwy that i had to restart. Its not like i was doing major stuff either. Load an avi file, crash. eject a cd, crash. save a homework assignment, crash. i hope 3.1 comes out soon cuz i need some stability.
  • Reply 60 of 96
    spikespike Posts: 20member
    I can't set "align to grid" on the desktop. If I do, and I try to re-arrange the icons, as soon as I click anywhere else everything jumps back to where it was. Repeated clicking causes icons to jump back and forth.

SMB browsing is completely screwed up.

Sometimes my iBook won't automatically go to sleep. It sleeps fine if I close the lid or click on "Sleep", but if I leave it alone it won't go to sleep by itself. Rebooting fixes the problem temporarily, but eventually it comes back. This was a problem with Jaguar too, but kind of rare. I used to be able to leave my iBook running for a week or two without a reboot, now I'm restarting pretty much every day so the darn thing will go to sleep when I'm not using it.