Panther: Annoyances

Comments

• Reply 61 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by trebek

I'll add my voice to those not digging the highlighting of the icons. I wish I could at least change the color of the shading around the name to something else other than blue. I have my appearance selected as graphite for a reason.

My main annoyance right now is the fact that I now have to enter my admin password to eject my Firewire HD. I don't know if they figure that since there's an eject button next to the disk's icon in the sidebar, folks are going to be ejecting accidently all the time now or what.

I've also noticed that my HD (my FW one, at least) is also louder/busier. Normally this wouldn't bother me too much, but combined w/reports of Panther hosing FW HDs circling around, it's freaking me out. I did a clean install FWIW.

open 'Get info' window of that FW drive, make sure 'ignore ownership on this volume' is selected.

That's it.
  • Reply 62 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

* I'm often getting a spinning rainbow cursor for 2-4 seconds when I click on iTunes after iTunes has been in the background.

I was getting this too until I deleted the iTunes icon from the Dock and copied a new version there - I had done and archive and install on my 1Ghz 15" PB and it ocurs to me that perhaps the delay was due to system having to find the new copy of iTunes rather than the old? I dunno, but it works as it used to again now.
  • Reply 63 of 96
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spike

I can't set "align to grid" on the desktop. If I do, and I try to re-arrange the icons, as soon as I click anywhere else everything jumps back to where it was. Repeated clicking causes icons to jump back and forth.

SMB browsing is completely screwed up.

Sometimes my iBook won't automatically go to sleep. It sleeps fine if I close the lid or click on "Sleep", but if I leave it alone it won't go to sleep by itself. Rebooting fixes the problem temporarily, but eventually it comes back. This was a problem with Jaguar too, but kind of rare. I used to be able to leave my iBook running for a week or two without a reboot, now I'm restarting pretty much every day so the darn thing will go to sleep when I'm not using it.

This sounds like some app or another keeping your iBook awake. Some apps won't respond properly to the timed sleep, as opposed to the "sleep now", either by menu or lid.
  • Reply 64 of 96
    I plugged in a digital camera (a Canon Elph) and it didn't mount on the desktop as a drive. I had to use Image Capture to get stuff off it. I didn't like that.

Also, I've had some problems copying things... The Unreal Tournament 2003 demo and the Matlab Panther updater both wouldn't copy onto my desktop properly; I had to stuff the files on the disk image into an archive on the desktop and then unstuff them there (UT didn't work anyway...)

I was getting some error about the destination not supporting a particular kind of alias...
  • Reply 65 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ssendam

I plugged in a digital camera (a Canon Elph) and it didn't mount on the desktop as a drive. I had to use Image Capture to get stuff off it. I didn't like that.

Ermm, my Canon Elph has never mounted on the desktop. I've always had to use either Image Capture or iPhoto.
  • Reply 66 of 96
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Ermm, my Canon Elph has never mounted on the desktop. I've always had to use either Image Capture or iPhoto.

I was just about to post the exact same thing: I've never been able to mount my S200 as a drive (as much as I would have liked to!).
  • Reply 67 of 96
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Has anyone run into this - The system is losing my sharing settings on reboot. I have both file sharing and web sharing turned on. It also is NOT running the items in my /Library/StartupItems such as my MySQL startup which worked fine under 10.2.

I have already 'fixed permissions'. This has happened three times so far (I really don't want to reboot but the aiport update etc. has made me)

System 15" PBG4 1GHz 1Gbyte

Thanks
  • Reply 68 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

That would explain it then.

Every other camera I've ever plugged in has popped up on the desktop; this is the first time I've plugged in an Elph, and the first camera since Panther, so I made an assumption (... and made an...)
  • Reply 69 of 96
    Another annoyance: Everything I download winds up in the upper-right corner of my desktop, in a big pile. Things don't politely find a nice open space to land in any more.
  • Reply 70 of 96
    i did the update_prebinding thing in the terminal, and AOL and MS Word have not quit unexpectedly since then. however, no change with MSN Messenger and i also installed 10.3 on my other mac, and the same thing is occuring there with MSN. that leads to to believe there is some compatibility issue.
  • Reply 71 of 96
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Other Safari things:

1) I can't click on a downloaded item in the download window to reveal it in the Finder

2) It downloads streaming links as if they are normal files, that is it opens the download window and fills my download directory with the streaming url files

3) I really miss keywords from Mozilla, g for google, gg for google groups, dict for dictionary.com, and band for rollingstone.com

4) Not exactly sure why, but I just hate the bookmark management in Safari

5) I want to be able to block images and flash animations for individual sites

6) A confirmation dialog box if you close a window with multiple tabs open

Not really a Panther gripe, but I really wish there was a standard key command for Close Window, Close Tab, and Hide App
  • Reply 72 of 96
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    On your last gripe:

Command-W closes windows in Mac applications across the board. Command-W also closes tabs in Safari.

Command-H hides apps.

Or is that different from what you were asking?

One thing I'd like is the ability to skip over hidden applications when Command-Tabbing through the running applications. It's less of an issue now that that floating application window pops up in Panther and as long as you're holding down Command, the applications don't actually pop to the front until you let go of the Command Key. Back in the days before Panther, though, I would have really loved to skip over hidden apps.
  • Reply 73 of 96
    xenuxenu Posts: 204member
    I seem to have lost keyboard illumination - yes I have the box ticked in the keyboard preferences. My F8, F9 and F10 keys don't work.

1.25 GHz, 15" PB.
  • Reply 74 of 96
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mlnjr

On your last gripe:

Command-W closes windows in Mac applications across the board. Command-W also closes tabs in Safari.

Awful. One reason why tabs as implemented in web browsers suck. Command-W no longer means Command-W.

This is JUST like "single-window" Mac OS apps quitting when you close the window. It's pure shit. I hate how consistent interface designs are being ignored. This is one reason why I hated Windows. Some apps use Control-letter and others use Alt-letter for the same thing.

Gah. I HATE IT.

\

Command-W CLOSES WINDOWS

Command-W SHOULD NOT QUIT APPS

Command-W SHOULD NOT CLOSE TABS
  • Reply 75 of 96
    wwworkwwwork Posts: 140member
    safari has become unworkable. bookmarks don't work. when I click on one part of the screen it thinks I've clicked on another. and no download for the 1.1 version so I can reinstall.

edit: just checked with another "user" on my computer - fast user switching. and it works fine on the other account. I think I can fix it.
  • Reply 76 of 96
    asenasen Posts: 93member
    After an erase & install on a 1GHz 17" PB, I wanted to check out the new Preview.

I opened up a suitable pdf (the Columbia Accident Report 248 pages, 10MB low-res version) and scrolled through. I wasn't expecting the scrolling to be Stevenote-fast, but I found it to be, well, a bit sluggish. Once I'd scrolled through a couple of times, it appeared to speed up a little. Is this as good as it gets?
  • Reply 77 of 96
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wwwork

safari has become unworkable. bookmarks don't work. when I click on one part of the screen it thinks I've clicked on another. and no download for the 1.1 version so I can reinstall.

edit: just checked with another "user" on my computer - fast user switching. and it works fine on the other account. I think I can fix it.

Safari hasn't worked for me in a long time. It consumes 100% cpu resources while booting up, and then the same thing happens when loading new pages.
  • Reply 78 of 96
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    One thing that bugs me is that you have to type in a password when you use fast user switching. They should allow auto log in for several accounts.
  • Reply 79 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

This is JUST like "single-window" Mac OS apps quitting when you close the window. It's pure shit.

while I agree with you about consistency, I like how now when you close the system preferences window it quits system preferences. Especially since it loads up so fast now.
  • Reply 80 of 96
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

while I agree with you about consistency, I like how now when you close the system preferences window it quits system preferences. Especially since it loads up so fast now.

Control-Click on the running System Preferences icon when you have a chance. What good is that when it's not running? Answer that and you get a prize.

Oh, and it uses sooo many resources while it's loaded...

Code:

PID COMMAND %CPU TIME FAULTS PGINS/COWS MSENT/MRCVD BSD/MACH CSW

1159 System Pre 0.0% 0:01.06 0 0/0 0/0 0/0 0

What the hell good are Dock menus when half of them won't work properly?

Yeah...If I want to close the damned window, I should have an option to close the window.

Command-W and Command-Q are different actions.