Adobe recommending PC's in print, now

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
according the thinksecret.com

"In his new book Illustrator CS for Dummies, Ted Alspach, Adobe's Group Product Manager for Illustration Products, advises new computer buyers to get a PC: 'As of 2003, Windows systems have taken a decisive lead over Macs when it comes to performance. The difference is most apparent with graphics applications such as Photoshop and Illustrator, but you'll notice it with other applications as well. If you're thinking of purchasing a new system, and speed and responsiveness is important (or at least more important than the feel of the OS, I suggest getting a zippy PC over a (comparably) sluggish Mac.?' "

okay, now i know steve said their relationship with adobe has never been better, but what exactly is their problem? i mean, i can understand maybe playing up advantages, but when they start using direct words like "sluggish" for the mac, it makes me very nervous...

p.s. thanks for the spelling fix, murbot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    adobe needs to be bitchslapped
  • Reply 2 of 83
    One word in choosing a Mac over a PC...wait...two...

1. Postscript

2. ColorSync

Done. Adobe is now sucking both MS's (and the WinPC market in general) tits.

• Reply 3 of 83
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

p.s. can a moderator PLEASE fix the spelling in the thread title. my brain isn't working well this morning.

Ask as ye shall receive.

BTW, excellent combination of quote and personal commentary to start off the thread, rok.

That is a pretty troubling comment though, isn't it. I'd say the guy has no clue what he's talking about, but he obviously has to have a lot of knowledge to be where he is. Damn, I'm not sure what to say about that. \
  • Reply 4 of 83
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i could kind of forgive a web article, like adobe did previously, since it is so ephemeral. here today, offline tomorrow... but why are they even MAKING hardware purchasing advice in a book about illustrator??? shouldn't the book be about, i don't know, maybe ILLUSTRATOR??? you may have to do the obligatory "we got our screenshots from both mac and pc" statement, but taking the opportunity to rag on the mac for a paragraph in print seems unnecessary and juvenile. who pissed in his coffee, i wonder?

and this is in every illustrator for dummies book in print, and that means this will last a long time. and say what you will about the dummies books, but hey, i bought them when i didn't know anything about anything, and they influenced me a lot.
  • Reply 5 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i could kind of forgive a web article, like adobe did previously, since it is so ephemeral. here today, offline tomorrow... but why are they even MAKING hardware purchasing advice in a book about illustrator??? shouldn't the book be about, i don't know, maybe ILLUSTRATOR??? you may have to do the obligatory "we got our screenshots from both mac and pc" statement, but taking the opportunity to rag on the mac for a paragraph in print seems unnecessary and juvenile. who pissed in his coffee, i wonder?

and this is in every illustrator for dummies book in print, and that means this will last a long time. and say what you will about the dummies books, but hey, i bought them when i didn't know anything about anything, and they influenced me a lot.

And they will look more and more wrong as the G5 continues to power ahead of PCs. Keep in mind that at the time the book was written, the G5s probably weren't out yet. Not to mention Panther. Discussing hardware trends in books is a bad idea in general. But that was a STUPID thing to say.
  • Reply 6 of 83
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    That's pretty freaking stupid. The dumbest part is the "As of 2003..." part. Macs have suffered from the performance gap starting in 2000 or so, and finally they recovered in 2003. Maybe it was written before the G5 came out, but still...

He should just leave the whole thing out and let the user decide
  • Reply 7 of 83
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    another ridiculous thing i just noticed...

"...most apparent with graphics applications such as Photoshop and Illustrator, but you'll notice it with other applications as well."

wow, not only does he target apple's lack of speed as an issue with adobe's products, but he also makes the claim ON BEHALF OF OTHER VENDORS' PRODUCTS, TOO!

unreal. i hope he gets a call from steve, or better yet, a personal visit. he won't know what hit him.
  • Reply 8 of 83
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Maybe he is PC advocate who has decided to go up against Scott Kelby for all his comments.
  • Reply 9 of 83
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I'd recommend that Dummies buy PCs too.
  • Reply 10 of 83
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Alspach saying this doesn't bother/sadden me as much as the numbers of chuckleheaded spec whores - who couldn't find their butt with two hands and a flashlight - who'll read it and go "yeah, okay...sounds good!" and follow his advice.

• Reply 11 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Maybe he is PC advocate who has decided to go up against Scott Kelby for all his comments.

Scott Kelby doesn't bash PCs in his software books.

(he has his magazine for that)

• Reply 12 of 83
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Actually, I've never seen Kelby NOT take a swipe at PCs!

Even if only a little sentence or an aside. Most of the time it's kinda funny. Sometimes it's not.
  • Reply 13 of 83
    I have Killer Photoshop Tricks (or whatever the hell it is) and I don't remember reading any in there.

I do however have an issue of MacDesign, and his book The Naked Truth... buh-rutal PC bashing in those. But yes, it's funny at least.
  • Reply 14 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

That is a pretty troubling comment though, isn't it. I'd say the guy has no clue what he's talking about, but he obviously has to have a lot of knowledge to be where he is. Damn, I'm not sure what to say about that. \ [/B]

Oh come on, this guy is a Group Product Manager. When was the last time he used any of his products in a production environment? Never to rarely I'd guess. I bet he couldn't string together a decent bezier curve outside of an Adobe tutorial to save his life.

The last big credits I found on a bio of his were in the mid 90's. Since then he's been an author with the dummies series. I give this guy about as much credit as he deserves. None. Group Managers keep their teams on task. He's a goddamned babysitter for adults. Hmph. Now I'm all cheesed off.
  • Reply 15 of 83
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    What's the betting that Photoshop will disaappear from the mac universe within the next 12 months?
  • Reply 16 of 83
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spooky

What's the betting that Photoshop will disaappear from the mac universe within the next 12 months?

Zero percent. G5 changes everything.

That nonsense was obviouly written by someone who didn't drop by "future Hardware" even once in the last year.

CV
  • Reply 17 of 83
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    It doesn't matter if the G5 is fast or not. Ted Alspach has slandered EVERY former and future Mac and branded the platform as Sluggish.

Apple has a serious problem with Adobe that needs to be addressed one way or another. Frankly I'm sick of their attitude toward my platform of choice. Adobe needs to grow up and stop infusing adverstising in their books. Ethically they have really fallen off the deep end the last year.
  • Reply 18 of 83
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    While Adobe certainly needs the revenue, they know that Mac users have no real alternative.

Freehand? CorelDraw? PhotoPaint? I doubt it.

This guy can bash our platform till he's blue in the face and Mac users will still buy their products.
  • Reply 19 of 83
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Freehand is a real competitor to Illustrator but Photoshop really is the king of it's field. Too bad.
  • Reply 20 of 83
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Freehand is a real competitor to Illustrator but Photoshop really is the king of it's field. Too bad.

On the PC side, I use Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8, and i'll be damned if it can't do 99% of what photoshop can do. I always thought of it as a consumer-type thing, but it really has all the professional print-shop features. Of course, it isn't standard, and that's half the battle, but still, it's damn good. only $99, too. I wish Jasc would make a Paint Shop Pro for Mac, i'd buy it in a flash.