20" iMac Tomorrow?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 128
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Who would be willing to buy a 20" iMac with all the current specs of the 17" at the current price of the 17"?

I think it would be amazing if the 17" dropped to the price of the 15".

Of course, knowing Apple, the 20" will be the most expensive iMac ever.
  • Reply 22 of 128
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Damnit, Nick was watching this thread. Now I look like a total suck-up.

Um, yeah, Nick, your mamma so fat!

...that ought to do the trick...

Barto
  • Reply 23 of 128
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

Who would be willing to buy a 20" iMac with all the current specs of the 17" at the current price of the 17"?

I would, and I'd be grinning all the way home.
  • Reply 24 of 128
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    There goes the resale value of my Rev. A G5 1.8 GHz

That's ok: it has more power than I'll need for years.
  • Reply 25 of 128
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    6 or so months ago, I wouldn't have believed this AT ALL. But hell: the new iTunes for Windows, G4 iBooks (NOBODY saw that coming) and just the general flurry of activity Apple has maintained this year almost makes me go "yeah, sounds about right...".

Plus, ThinkSecret is no MOSR. They rarely blow it or miss by too far.

Wow...a 20" iMac. ULTIMATE switcher's machine for the home user/consumer who is - right or wrong - turned off by the current iMac's perceived "tiny screen".

I've got all new ammunition to come at my Mom and sister with if this 20" iMac actually gets unveiled!

Think it'll be the same resolution as the 20" Cinema Display? Man...
  • Reply 26 of 128
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Just me, or is this becoming the evolution of the iMac?

• Reply 27 of 128
    I'm still happy with my 1.6Ghz price, did an Education pricing with Combo (with plans to buy own DVD+-RW)

all for 1650.00
  • Reply 28 of 128
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

... G4 iBooks (NOBODY saw that coming)

sorry and i qoute myself
    Quote:

i still don't expect a G4 in the next revision of the ibook though. but i do expect in the fall/winter 2003 timeframe

but you're right: i didn't saw it coming.

Quote:

Think it'll be the same resolution as the 20" Cinema Display? Man...

yes,

(you're the multiple products one screensize evangalist)

but i am curious about the videocard 64mb or 128mb
  • Reply 29 of 128
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

yes,

(you're the multiple products one screensize evangalist)

but i am curious about the videocard 64mb or 128mb

My exact thoughts.

My brother is in for a new mac, and we've been looking at the G5. He's a 99% gamer, and doesnt want to go Windows!

So its a Radeon 9800 in the iMac, or we'll go with a G5... Reb B..
  • Reply 30 of 128
    A cookie for you then. Okay, everyone but gar didn't see it coming.

Any way you look at it...what an AMAZING year for Apple. Simply think about all that was released this year, both hardware and software.

I'm extremely impressed!

Go to the press release on Apple's site:

http://www.apple.com/pr/

New PowerBooks, G5, G4 iBooks, new iPods, new this, updated that, refreshed this, tweaked that, etc. Nearly everything has been been massively redone, except for the eMac, iMac and displays. And it's looking like one of those might be taken care of tomorrow. And you just KNOW new displays are lurking around the corner too!
  • Reply 31 of 128
    Quote:

Wow...a 20" iMac. ULTIMATE switcher's machine for the home user/consumer who is - right or wrong - turned off by the current iMac's perceived "tiny screen".

The current iMac is not perceived as having a "tiny screen". It is perceived as having a slow processor and a high price, two things that will not be rectified by a 20" display.
  • Reply 32 of 128
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar yes, (you're the multiple products one screensize evangalist)

Just always seemed to make sense to me: buy 12", 15", 17" (and now 20") and spread 'em across the product line!

• Reply 33 of 128
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver The current iMac is not perceived as having a "tiny screen". It is perceived as having a slow processor and a high price, two things that will not be rectified by a 20" display.

I'm only commenting on what I know/hear, Ensign: my PC-using friends/relatives most often comment on the screen (since they're all used to using 17"-19" CRTs and LCDs on their various Gateway, Dell, Compaq, etc. gear.

They don't know enough about "horsepower" and so forth (and none of them are afflicted with specwhoreitis) enough to comment or judge the "slow processor". For the things they do (digital photos, music, making greeting cards, surfing, e-mailing, Solitaire, etc.), a 1GHz or so G4 is more than up for the job.

We Mac-heads ding the stuff harder than the other side, many times.

Believe me, they're just looking for something that works. Especially my Mom...she's got, quite possibly, the crappiest computer I've ever seen or used.

A 20" (or 19") iMac that doesn't feel "smaller" or "lesser" than the 19" Viewsonic she's using (albeit at 1024x768...jeez) might be just enough to make her consider a serious switch. I've been bringing my PowerBook around the past few Sundays and the iTunes/iPhoto demo I did for her pretty much opened her eyes. She seems to be slowly coming around to the notion that Macs are "real computers" and not just a specialized, "niche" platform. And that she can do everything she does now - and then some - in a slicker, more straightforward and hassle-free way.

And I just know there are some cool, 3D-based Solitaire games floating around out there for OS X...

• Reply 34 of 128
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Believe me, they're just looking for something that works. Especially my Mom...she's got, quite possibly, the crappiest computer I've ever seen or used.

not a mac, i hope?
  • Reply 35 of 128
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    The thing I don't understand is that a 20" iMac would convince me to run out and buy one to replace my Power Mac G4. Immediately.

But I'm in desktop publishing. I'm in the demographic Apple's supposed to be pitching the G5 at. I'm one of the guys who frets at the demands for screen real estate that Adobe apps inflict on the world.

I understand that the iMac seems to have moved upscale a bit, but I can't see how Apple can fathom having DTPers running away from the towers.

Chasing Consumers is great, but Pros are where Apple makes their money now.

This rumor just seems bizarre to me.
  • Reply 36 of 128
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar not a mac, i hope?

Of course not! Read my post: my "PC-using friends and relatives...". She's got some huge HP tower thing that looks like a Jeep or crashed spaceship.

And runs about as well...
  • Reply 37 of 128
    Quote:

my Mom...she's got, quite possibly, the crappiest computer I've ever seen or used.

My mom has pretty much commandeered my 933 quicksilver with it's decent Apple 15-inch LCD Studio Display
  • Reply 38 of 128
    AI Second Page weighs in with more confirmation:

AppleInsider received several pieces of information over the weekend that stated Apple would release a 20" iMac and dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5 on November 18th. The information was not published and assumed to be part of a misinformation campaign due to a lack of confirmation. However, numerous media outlets are now confirming similar tips as authentic.

According to two anonymous reports, Apple retailers in the north east had received shipments of both dual 1.8 GHz Power Mac G5s and a new 20" iMac as of early this morning. A third 'mystery' product, priced at $749 USD, was said to be unknown and rumored to be either a wide-screen 17" display or possibly a reduced price on the 20" Apple Cinema Display.

The 20" iMac is said to included a 1.25GHz G4 processor and the 1.6GHz Power Mac G5 is to see a "significant reduction in price," according to the information.
  • Reply 39 of 128
    I'll bet $1.47 that any "mystery item" priced at $749 or whatever is a new display.

Or the iWalk.
  • Reply 40 of 128
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    i think i'm most excited about the mystery product $749...

i sure hope it's either a 17" widescreen or a price drop for the 20"...

tomorrow will be a good day any way you look at it!