20" iMac Tomorrow?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 128
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Might wanna start checking the online store regularly, starting tonight.

There's always a chance the new gear (or info about them) gets accidently uploaded/posted early.

What's the official "okay, it's a no go" time tomorrow that if nothing appears on Apple's site, we consider it a bust?

12 noon PST?

Or earlier?
  • Reply 42 of 128
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    I hope this is the end of the line for the 15" iMac and that the 17" iMac will be right there to fill it's shoes...
  • Reply 43 of 128
    psh 20" only?

WHERE'S 23" MY CINEMA DISPLAY iMAC

• Reply 44 of 128
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eric_Z

This might allso be of interest.

Btw, when was the last time Thinksecret was right?

I'm suspecing that there "source" is the one who's posting on MacNN.

ThinkSecret is perhaps the most reliable mac rumor site nearly everything they report happens...one of the most recent things they reported that didn't happen that i can remember is the Special Edition Apple Paris Expo iPod.
  • Reply 45 of 128
    The news of a 20 inch imac has got me excited enough to post...

Is this the 'new' imac Quanta were talking of producing?

*Going into fantasy land*

Wouldn't it be great if they did managed to shoehorn a G5 in there but at a lower clock speed, say 1.25Ghz?...

*Cold reality*

Nah. Probably not.
  • Reply 46 of 128
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O and A

23"? You're easy to please.

You know those rumors of a 30" display? Yeah...
  • Reply 47 of 128
    Quote:

wouldn't it be great if they did managed to shoehorn a G5 in there but at a lower clock speed, say 1.25Ghz?...

Where will they put the 6 fans?
  • Reply 48 of 128
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

On the back of that honkin' big screen.
  • Reply 49 of 128
    Quote:

See the latter part of my post!

On the serious (but slightly fantasy inhabiting) side...

Would it be possible to add a G5 to the current design without the other motherboard improvments that the powermacs have? This may reduce the heat. Would the lower clock speed help this?
  • Reply 50 of 128
    Quote:

Originally posted by gramsci

Would it be possible to add a G5 to the current design without the other motherboard improvments that the powermacs have? This may reduce the heat. Would the lower clock speed help this?

That would be a no and if you could why would you want to severly cripple the g5
  • Reply 51 of 128
    Quote:

That would be a no and if you could why would you want to severly cripple the g5

As I said, this is fantasy land stuff, why else post on the future rumours board?

I personally would not like to cripple the G5, but thinking about Apple's past record of 'reducing' the feature set of their consumer orientated comps in relation to their 'power user' comps...

Also, what do you think the media (and forum) reaction would be if they did manage to do this, even if it was crip, ahem, reduced?
  • Reply 52 of 128
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Well, it seems safe to say that the 1.6 G5 will drop in price, the 1.8Ghz tower will fall to $1999 and the dual 1.8Ghz tower will slot in at around $2399.

Now the only major question left is whether or not the 15" iMac will be discontinued and if the 20" iMac will replace the 17" as the top-end model.

We have several situations here:

1. Apple decides to keep the 15" and 17" iMacs where they are now and releases the 20" iMac at an extremely high price point.

2. The 15" iMac is axed, the 17" becomes the new 'low-end' iMac and the 20" iMac sells at the price of the current 17" model.

or...

3. The 15" drops drastically in price leaving the 17" to also drop a few hundred in order to fit the 20" iMac into the line-up.
  • Reply 53 of 128
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    If any of this is tru then it si very good news. One it means that apple IS responding to the market. Maybe not in the way we would like but something is better than nothing.

AS to the 1.6GHz machine, this is the saddest machine of the lot, if Apple really wants to move this machine they have to consider doing a couple of things: Keep the current configuration and drop the price to about $1100, because frankly it is not worth much more than that. Or two bring the configuration up to the same standards as the other machines. That is the same PCI busses and memory expansion capabilities.

Thanks

dave

Quote:

Originally posted by job

Then the 1.6 tower would have to drop in price...maybe $1699?

Honestly though, I think the price of $2399 is more likely.

• Reply 54 of 128
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

psh 20" only?

Stuff in that rumored 30"! "Your new widescreen TV... and oh yeah, it's a computer too."
  • Reply 55 of 128
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

I personally would not like to cripple the G5, but thinking about Apple's past record of 'reducing' the feature set of their consumer orientated comps in relation to their 'power user' comps...

I don't think a G5-based iMac (in the current form) will have any PCI/PCI-X slots so Apple may not be crippling the feature set so much as 'reducing' (like you mentioned) in order to save costs/reduce heat/whatever.
  • Reply 56 of 128
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Well that depends on what you mean. NO the G5 will never be able to run with the old chip sets, the bus interface won't allow it. Yes the G5 can be implemented with the current technology at a lower power level.

To get to a lower power level some of the things that can be done are:

1. Can the bus interface multiplier. Instead of 1:2 make it 1:3 or 1:4. A 1:3 bus would 400 MHz for a 1.2 GHz machine, this would still be a rather large leap in performance over current hardware but would reduce power used by the system.

2. Us a completely new chip set that is slower, as above, and more limited in scope. The possibility here would be to elimanate a memory channel and maybe go directly to PCI for the I/O bus. Agian a performance limiter but still an improvement over the current machines.

The lower clock rate would help with power but may have a dramtic impact on certian applications. The 970 needs the clock rate to compete against the G4's vector unit. So if one where to use a bus rate of say 533MHz, to compete with intels low end, then we could get and IMac running at 1.6GHz with a 3X multiplier, save a little power and get reasonably good performance.

Knowing Apple though they probally will milk the G4 for the holiday season and then upgrade the machine in the new year.

What is most interesting is what are they doing with the 1.6GHz G5? It would be nice if they brought it up to the same level as the rest of the fmaily.

Dave

Quote:

• Reply 57 of 128
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

On the back of that honkin' big screen.

You might be on to something for the future: We're all wondering how Apple's going to get the G5 (or faster processors down the road) into the iMac and keep a compact base design -- well, I'm sure we've all read the rumors about liquid cooling for the PowerBooks, and with the iMac you've just got this big ol' screen standing up in the open like a radiator... I bet that would open up some radical design possibilities! Not soon, but down the road? Sure!
  • Reply 58 of 128
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jginsbu

You might be on to something for the future: We're all wondering how Apple's going to get the G5 (or faster processors down the road) into the iMac and keep a compact base design -- well, I'm sure we've all read the rumors about liquid cooling for the PowerBooks, and with the iMac you've just got this big ol' screen standing up in the open like a radiator... I bet that would open up some radical design possibilities! Not soon, but down the road? Sure!

And to think I was kidding! Maybe I'm smarter than I am dumberer....
  • Reply 59 of 128
    Update from Think Secret:

Quote:

The company will announce 20-inch flat-panel iMacs as well as Dual-1.8GHz Power Mac G5s, sources confirmed to Think Secret.

The 20-inch iMac will bring up the high end of the consumer line, reportedly shipping with a 1.25GHz G4, like the current 17-inch model. Pricing for the new iMac is not known, but sources said that availability of the 20-inch iMac will be limited early on.

The Dual-1.8GHz G5 would be a new addition to Apple's professional desktop lineup; the G5 line currently includes only one dual processor unit, the fastest and most popular Dual-2GHz model.

According to reports, the new Dual-1.8GHz model will be priced at $2,499, the Dual-2GHz model will remain at $2,999, the single 1.8GHz model will drop to $2,099 from $2,399, and the single 1.6GHz model will drop to $1,799 from $1,999.

Sources said that Apple plans to announce the new models tomorrow -- Tuesday, November 18. As always, we must stress that release and announcements dates are always subject to change. However, sources believe that Apple's current plans call for a release on Tuesday.

• Reply 60 of 128
    Quote:

Update from Think Secret:

Yes... that means that if they keep they still keep the 1.8 single I won't be so left behind with mine...