20" iMac Tomorrow?

Comments

• Reply 81 of 128
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stingerman

For the G4 to be equal with the P4 it needs to be at .6 the speed. That means between 1.8 and 1.9 GHz for the top end G4. Apple needs to make a quick change to 970's and move beyond 2GHz. Leave the G4 for the iBooks and eMacs.

1.8 or 1.9 GHz G4 on a 167 MHz bus ?
  • Reply 82 of 128
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

PH34R

I don't understand your internet slang boy! Would you care to elaborate?
  • Reply 83 of 128
    Quote:

Originally posted by KANE

I don't understand your internet slang boy! Would you care to elaborate?

At a guess, that would be "fear", the emotion engendered by the price-tag, and the years of debt-bondage required by it.
  • Reply 84 of 128
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    PH34R = Fear

The 20" iMac is so good, it strikes fear into the hearts of PC users.

Fear the debt you'll rack up on it (thanks staphbaby).

ph34r my l33t photochop skillz!

Barto
  • Reply 85 of 128
    Quote:

PH34R = Fear

...it strikes fear into the hearts of PC users.

May I ask why, especially if it's going to use the same 1.25 GHz G4 and probably, the same graphics card?
  • Reply 86 of 128
    The sheer intimidation factor of a floating 20" viewable display.
  • Reply 87 of 128
    That is a good proto-manipulation Barto! I think a 20-inch display on the iMac looks really cool. Sadly I have my mind set on a 15-inch Powerbook and therefore won't be affected by this product update.
  • Reply 88 of 128
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Well, the British Apple Store is down... Canada and the US are still up...
  • Reply 89 of 128
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    If there really is to be a 20" iMac then that must put back any change in form factor to accomodate the G5
  • Reply 90 of 128
    It's fairly obvious that there will be no G5 iMac until next year when Apple DOES probably change the form factor. (When they do it will not be for just one configuration as being touted but the complete line. )Also I'd expect the lower wattage G5 to be in the first iMac when it comes ou t and not the current George Foreman grill heat output of the PowerMacs with the 6 fans running. Get it?
  • Reply 91 of 128
    The swedish Apple Store is down too...

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/swedenstore/
  • Reply 92 of 128
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

If there really is to be a 20" iMac then that must put back any change in form factor to accomodate the G5

It was always extremely optimistic to expect a new form factor before mid next year.

Barto
  • Reply 93 of 128
    Quote:

The sheer intimidation factor of a floating 20" viewable display.

I have some doubts that iMac's arm can hold properly a 20" display. Well, we will soon see, the online Apple Stores are closing one after the other .
  • Reply 94 of 128
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    And down goes Canada...
  • Reply 95 of 128
    Quote:

I have some doubts that iMac's arm can hold properly a 20" display. Well, we will soon see, the online Apple Stores are closing one after the other

Not necessarily so. The current size of the 17" including the VERY wide bezel is nearly 21 inches diagonally. Add another 3/4 inch or reduce the the b ezel width and there would seem to be no need to make the display that much larger. We'll know in a few hours.

U.S. Store now down at 7.52 AM ET
  • Reply 96 of 128
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Not necessarily so. The current size of the 17" including the VERY wide bezel is nearly 21 inches diagonally. Add another 3/4 inch or reduce the the b ezel width and there would seem to be no need to make the display that much larger. We'll know in a few hours.

Surely s/he's talking about weight and not horizontal dimensions? Perhaps display hardware is heavier/thicker than lucite?
  • Reply 97 of 128
    Apple can make the bezel lighter in weight. Anyway, within the hour we'll know.
  • Reply 98 of 128
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I have some doubts that iMac's arm can hold properly a 20" display.

As someone who has taken apart iMacs, They could probably hold 30" LCDs no sweat. The base is far, far, FAR heavier than the display.

Barto
  • Reply 99 of 128
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

As someone who has taken apart iMacs, They could probably hold 30" LCDs no sweat. The base is far, far, FAR heavier than the display.

Barto

The base isn't the issue, IMO. The torque/stress on the attachment points of the tilt/swivel arm is a far bigger concern to me. In addition, at what size would a display in the fully prone position block the optical drive or hit the surface of the table?
  • Reply 100 of 128
    Quote:

Great, but I am not talking about base weight; I am talking about the mechanical features of the arm.