iPod Ads being defaced

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    Apparently, it's some guys named Neistat. They were stupid enough to tape themselves doing it.

http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com/
  • Reply 22 of 54
    they taped themselves...
  • Reply 23 of 54
    what a bunch of morons.

i'd hate to see how much that's going to cost them when they lose in court.

probably more than a new iPod.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    I can't wait for these stupid bastards to get hit with a lawsuit. I will LAUGH MY ASS OFF.

Morons don't even know they can get it replaced for $100.
  • Reply 25 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Appleberry

people have said that opening it and unplugging and plugging the battery back in somehow gives it life again

i cant remember the details.

Ya, this usually works for things like Remote controls and flashlights, but it usually only gives it a couple more minutes of life each time.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    ...quite frankly, I support the Neistat Brothers beef with Apple (the dead battery issue should be grounds for a recall). Not to mention, any price higher than 20 bucks for a replacement battery is just crazy! I doubt Apple would want to sue (bad PR).
  • Reply 27 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by /mandolux/

...quite frankly, I support the Neistat Brothers beef with Apple (the dead battery issue should be grounds for a recall). Not to mention, any price higher than 20 bucks for a replacement battery is just crazy! I doubt Apple would want to sue (bad PR).

Man, sony batteries for cameras cost like $70... and they juice out in about a year and a half
  • Reply 28 of 54
    Quote:

The battery should only cost 10 bucks! No, even better, they should replace the batter for free! For the rest of my life!

Seriously though, what do you think is worse PR: suing a guy for vandalism or having tons of signs around New York dissing your product?

This guy is a jackass and he deserves to be fined.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    Quote:

You honestly believe that a company should replace a YEAR AND A HALF OLD battery? As a shareholder, I thank god you do not run Apple. This is quite frankly one of the most ridiculous statements I have come across in a while.

Come on now, in 18 months of use this thing could have been charged and discharged 500 times, many of those being partial charges.

No way should it be replaced for freaking $20.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    This campaign might have had a shred of relevance when the iPod had a 90 day warranty, period.

It now has a battery replacement program and a 2 year (>18 month!) warranty option. So the campaign is simply wrong, on top of being vandalism.

• Reply 31 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

people have said that opening it and unplugging and plugging the battery back in somehow gives it life again

i cant remember the details.

That worked for me before firmware 1.3 came out and fixed the problem. You open it up, unplug the battery for about 5 minutes and plug it back in. Instant fix back to 10 hours of battery life.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clayton Magnet

You honestly believe that a company should replace a YEAR AND A HALF OLD battery? As a shareholder, I thank god you do not run Apple. This is quite frankly one of the most ridiculous statements I have come across in a while.

Come on now, in 18 months of use this thing could have been charged and discharged 500 times, many of those being partial charges.

No way should it be replaced for freaking $20.

Do you think the prices set by Apple are fair?

Check this article on battery replacement in iPodlounge.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    Quote:

[B] Do you think the prices set by Apple are fair?

Yes.

The mail-in service from PDA Smart is $68. Apple's charge is $99. Apple gives you a 90 day guarantee on workmanship and materials. It says nothing of PDA Smart doing the same.

I'll drop an extra $31 to have Apple do something to my iPod before I'll have some place I've never heard of do it.

And I'll bet the vast majority of people want nothing to do with cracking open their iPods.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    Quote:

Yes.

The mail-in service from PDA Smart is $68. Apple's charge is $99. Apple gives you a 90 day guarantee on workmanship and materials. It says nothing of PDA Smart doing the same.

I'll drop an extra $31 to have Apple do something to my iPod before I'll have some place I've never heard of do it.

And I'll bet the vast majority of people want nothing to do with cracking open their iPods.

Well, I hope your iPod's battery dies soon.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Yes.

for 99 bucks you don't even get YOUR iPod back, they send you back another one
  • Reply 36 of 54
    Quote:

Well, I hope your iPod's battery dies soon.

How very constructive of you. I am just pointing out that it's only about $30 more expensive than another option you linked to, and you are wishing me ill will. Your character rears its ugly head.

applenut... that I did not know. Hmm. (at least you didn't try to put a hex on me)

• Reply 37 of 54
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

for 99 bucks you don't even get YOUR iPod back, they send you back another one

so what happens if you have custom engraving?
  • Reply 38 of 54
    Gosh, it must be nice to have that much time at one's disposal to go around NYC defacing iPod ads. The WHOIS record for that domain, yields quite a bit of information about Casey Neistat, including his address, telephone number and email address. Not hard for Apple to find out who they want to sue, or for a crazy Mac head to pay him a visit too.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

so what happens if you have custom engraving?

You may or may not get your iPod, but it will have the same engraving on the back. It just takes longer for you to get it back.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Oh everyone getting their panties in a bunch over some free speech that causes no real harm. Boo hoo.