Tabs in Finder

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwill

oh well..I'm not kidding, that's for sure. Like everything else, it's an open dispute. It would be best if it was there as a preference, ya kno?

Fine. Tell me something, though, how the heck would expose work with tabs? I'll answer it for you: it won't. I don't use tabs anywhere. My windows are separate and they will remain that way. And I'd bet you my next year's salary that my window management and cross application usage is better than anyone who uses tabs instead. They hinder all kinds of productivity and people like them just because they are the current fad.
  • Reply 22 of 83
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

They hinder all kinds of productivity and people like them just because they are the current fad.

Same thing was said about the mouse.
  • Reply 23 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Same thing was said about the mouse.

I'd agree with you if there wasn't anything that could help ease window clutter, but expose does that exceptionally well and it leaves in place the benefits of windows. I seriously can't think of a problem tabs solve that expose doesn't cure. That's slightly different from the mouse thing.
  • Reply 24 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

ok... Agent Macintosh...

Save that photoshop file as a jpeg. (flatten image if needed)

Then upload it to an image hosting site like photobucket.com.

Then with the URL of the picture from the image hosting site

post it here so we can see what you did.

We all want to see your creation... post it.
  • Reply 25 of 83
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Ohhhh, another tabs war thread... I better get out while I can.
  • Reply 26 of 83
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

So it's not an image browser even though I browse images with it?

And No again, I drag links from all sources...news sources, e-commerce sites, photo galleries, etc. Any web document that has draggable objects is subject to dragging and dropping.

1) Of course Safari isn't an image browser. Why do you insist on making up bogus crap like that to forward you argument? Why even have an argument that "tabs are bad", and instead look at each individual situation and say "well, here, contrary to most situations, tabs are actually good"?

2) Why would you want to drag links TO web pages in anything other than forums? Is command-clicking too hard? Because the only situation where tabs impede drag-n-drop is where you want to drag from one web page to another.

Barto
  • Reply 27 of 83
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

I'd agree with you if there wasn't anything that could help ease window clutter, but expose does that exceptionally well and it leaves in place the benefits of windows. I seriously can't think of a problem tabs solve that expose doesn't cure. That's slightly different from the mouse thing.

Tabs on a browser work very well. Go read [plug]macsurfer[/plug] with and without tabs. If you know how to use tabs your experience will be more gratifying and faster with tabs.
  • Reply 28 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Tabs on a browser work very well. Go read [plug]macsurfer[/plug] with and without tabs. If you know how to use tabs your experience will be more gratifying and faster with tabs.

I've got no doubt that they do. It's a matter of opinion of course, but I don't like them because they undermine so many of the UI habits I've developed (cmd+w is close tab, etc.) I prefer to let my mouse do the window switching and my hands to the keyboard shortcuts I know and love. But to each his own...
  • Reply 29 of 83
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

I've got no doubt that they do. It's a matter of opinion of course, but I don't like them because they undermine so many of the UI habits I've developed (cmd+w is close tab, etc.) I prefer to let my mouse do the window switching and my hands to the keyboard shortcuts I know and love. But to each his own...

Thats the problem, each CANT have their own (way) because its not an option. Tabs in Finder, well I have no real use for that but just because I develop a workflow that doesn't contain tabs doesn't mean they shouldn't be there. Things need to be flexible ya know?

I like tabs in text editors. People don't need to act like asses saying "oh it ruins drag-n-drop blah-de-blah", tabs only ruins behaviors you _let_ them ruin. For a smart method of tabbing pickup a nightly of Adium. You can drag tabs around anywhere, grouping whatever you need and up-grouping them again just as easily. But even then you don't need that method of smart tabbing to exist in order to protect traditional multi-window interaction (drag-drop). Same can be done with Safari, it having tabs doesn't make it harder to use.

Even Apple offers a tab-like method of working with Xcode (single-window editing). Something I'd like to see with BBEdit but they are still trapped in the Classic era. If I want to compare two files I will have two windows. If I want to open a file based on the first I'd tab it to the first having two windows still but one tabbed. The option for "Smart tabbing" would be great to have, again look at Adium for what I'm referring to.

Sigh...
  • Reply 30 of 83
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Having OLE style tab servers is BAD. Continually rearraging your tabbed workspace undermines the unconsious workflow process.
  • Reply 31 of 83
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

I like to put hard copies of papers into tabbed folders and leave them in a small rack on my desk. I can put them away easily and retrieve them easily later.

Right, everybody does this already. The folder icons in the Finder are tabbed folders...

But browser-tabs are much more dynamic...they're for the short-term and not for long term storage like actual folders/directories.
  • Reply 32 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

1) Of course Safari isn't an image browser. Why do you insist on making up bogus crap like that to forward you argument? Why even have an argument that "tabs are bad", and instead look at each individual situation and say "well, here, contrary to most situations, tabs are actually good"?

Why do you think this is a bogus argument? Safari allows you to browse images quite nicely. It doesn't let you manipulate them, but I never said it was an image manipulation tool. Is Windows Explorer not an image browser?

Quote:

[/b]2) Why would you want to drag links TO web pages in anything other than forums? Is command-clicking too hard? Because the only situation where tabs impede drag-n-drop is where you want to drag from one web page to another. [/B]

Because dragging a link from one window to another doesn't create a new window and it doesn't force me to destroy and old window. It also keeps a back/forward history so I can easily go back to other pages I've dragged onto the window. When I browse the web, I have several windows open for different tasks. Given the example of the bargain hunt, one window would be used for price searching. Another window would be used for browsing a particular item. Another window would hold the page of the cheapest item found so far.
  • Reply 33 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Web Browsing and preference panes. Guess what, all ... have tabs in Panther.

Tabs in browsers and the old-style tabs in preferences are two entirely different things. No-one who would put themselves in the "anti-tab" camp would confuse the two.
  • Reply 34 of 83
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Indicating, to me at least, a problem with the nomenclature. :P

Stupid self-proclaimed GUI designers on other platforms that couldn't design their way out of a wet paper bag...
  • Reply 35 of 83
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Quote:

Fine. Tell me something, though, how the heck would expose work with tabs? I'll answer it for you: it won't. I don't use tabs anywhere. My windows are separate and they will remain that way. And I'd bet you my next year's salary that my window management and cross application usage is better than anyone who uses tabs instead. They hinder all kinds of productivity and people like them just because they are the current fad.

Good point there, it wouldn't. But that's for the people that have more than one Finder window open at a time, which does happen (I do it sometimes as well). That's why I said preference

Everybody has their different opinions on every issue. I can live without the tabs in the Finder, of course, but who knows, it could probably promote workflow in one way, but also hinder it in another. So it's give and take.
  • Reply 36 of 83
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    Agent Macintosh
    Quote:

why not?

I think you have a really great idea and I'd like to see your image.

Your image link
    Quote:

file:///Users/Shared/dock.psd

is linking to your User folder on your computer. While it is in your shared folder we would need to know the IP address to get to your computer.

If you can up load it to a .mac account (free try out) or some other free service,(someone here might post it).

Also your Photoshop file (.psd) should be (saved as) a .gif or a jpeq or (save for web) in Photoshop. You probably could also print>save to PDF and post that too... lots of options.

• Reply 37 of 83
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwill

That would be great..but that would take a LOT of wiring and collaboration (look, big words for a 15 year old ) to do I would think, since they're from three different apps.

Finder tabs would be cool though..

Safari is an application that displays read-only visual content: web pages. The Finder, on the other hand, is an application that facilitates the manipulation and organisation of the user's files. If you say that the Finder needs tabs, you are also saying that iTunes and iPhoto need tabs also, which they most definitely don't.

(look, big words from a thirteen year old)
  • Reply 38 of 83
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Facilitate, manipulate..been there, done that (j/k )

iPhoto and iTunes definitely don't need tabs. But the Finder might benefit from it (if you don't like the sidebar, anyway).

I think the Jaguar Finder would have a much better benefit from it actually. The Panther Finder seems like it doesn't need it as much.
  • Reply 39 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Safari is an application that displays read-only visual content: web pages. The Finder, on the other hand, is an application that facilitates the manipulation and organisation of the user's files. If you say that the Finder needs tabs, you are also saying that iTunes and iPhoto need tabs also, which they most definitely don't.

Big words from a thirteen year old, but you are incorrect. Safari handles advanced web applications, forms and what not. Those are not read-only. The web is like one HUGE interactive application.
  • Reply 40 of 83
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    They're also not saved as documents to a space where you can generally get to them.

I consider the web to be read-only, with some minimal content pushback to the server. Still a far cry from user-controlled document creation.