Tabs in Finder

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    So basically you want workspaces, but in a bastardized MDI fashion.

*shudder*

Workspaces, yes. Tabbed, no.

I still think this should be possible with simple AppleScripting... if more apps were scriptable... \ C'mon developers! Get your acts together!
  • Reply 62 of 83
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

*shudder*

No, workspaces aren't cool like tabs, tabs, tabs!
  • Reply 63 of 83
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

I still think this should be possible with simple AppleScripting... if more apps were scriptable... \ C'mon developers! Get your acts together!

As usual, it's the big developers who are the culprits. They have such crap going on people's Macs that flimsy crutches like this seem necessary.
  • Reply 64 of 83
    Not just the big ones. The vast majority of small developer apps are similarly lacking.
  • Reply 65 of 83
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

*shudder*

Explain what you mean. Are we getting nit-picky about terminology again?

Quote:

AppleScripting UI features? Now that definitely is a bastardized use of Applescript.
  • Reply 66 of 83
    A workspace is a collection of windows, from various apps, grouped for a specific task.

Basically what Eugene described, without needing a special window container, and allowing you to see two or more of those windows at once.

And AppleScript is *perfect* for this, since hiding/showing windows is one of the basic dictionary verbs.

A workspace, when double-clicked, would open each file in the workspace at one shot, regardless of what file types or apps were involved. That part's easy, it just uses the Finder's open capability in one of any number of ways.

The harder part is switching between workspaces, but AppleScript could be used to iterate over the apps involved, and tell them to hide/show the windows involved in each workspace. Really quite simple.

Now if only the Dock would allow for adding/deleting apps/files in the same way, you'd be able to have workspaces complete with customized Docks. Ah well.

Unfortunately, the biggest problem is that so few apps really handle AppleScripting at all, even the basic functionality such as this. (IIRC, Cocoa apps get this much for free.)
  • Reply 67 of 83
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Haa, I see. Thanks for the explanation Kickaha
  • Reply 68 of 83
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Oh dear. Sorry Eugene. Hope the Psychiatric Ward doesn't keep you too long.

As for tabs in Finder, that is BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD !

Have a nice day.
  • Reply 69 of 83
    I'm surprised noone has mentioned Fluxbox yet.It does exactly the thing Eugene ridicules, and many linuxusers swear by it. Then again, linux has no exposé.
  • Reply 70 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Oh dear. Sorry Eugene. Hope the Psychiatric Ward doesn't keep you too long.

As for tabs in Finder, that is BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD !

Have a nice day.

Why the $$$$ would it be bad? Don't be a hypocrite. If optional tabs in Safari are good, so are optional tabs in Finder. Nobody is forcing you to use them. Every app should have tabs. It should be a system-wide feature. I should even be able to have tabs within tabs if I elect to use them that way.
  • Reply 71 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by LowB-ing

I'm surprised noone has mentioned Fluxbox yet.It does exactly the thing Eugene ridicules, and many linuxusers swear by it. Then again, linux has no exposé.

I'm not ridiculing it. I'm loving it!
  • Reply 72 of 83
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Why the $$$$ would it be bad? Don't be a hypocrite. If optional tabs in Safari are good, so are optional tabs in Finder. Nobody is forcing you to use them. Every app should have tabs. It should be a system-wide feature. I should even be able to have tabs within tabs if I elect to use them that way.

They confuse the end user. That's why.
  • Reply 73 of 83
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Optional tabs in Safari are good because safari displays web pages, not documents. You don't need to drag and drop from one web page to another. If you want to open a link in a new window, you right click and open a link in a new window. Dragging and dropping is NOT a good way to open files, it's way way too complex.

Likewise, thumbnails in Preview are good because you are dealing with uneditable images. You don't need to drag and drop.

You certainly positively DO need to drag and drop in the Finder though.

Which is why tabs in the Finder encourages bad user interaction, especially from windows converts. Tabs in Safari, while they might not be the ideal spacial bullshit, you can justify.

Remember, one of the reasons we use Macs is because they are not overcomplicated with useless options. *cough*KDE*cough*GNOME*cough*

Barto
  • Reply 74 of 83
    What a cop out. Are you trying to tell me Safari discourages drag & drop usage? That's pure bullshit.

At least with Preview, the thumbnail is provided and they implement a shoddy "New from clipboard" option which prevents you from opening a blank Preview window.

In Safari you can drag images out of pages onto other windows. You can drag links to other windows. You can drag blocks of text into text fields. You can drag clippings and other files into Safari windows. To say Safari doesn't utilize drag & drop behavior is folly.
  • Reply 75 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

They confuse the end user. That's why.

How?
  • Reply 76 of 83
    It's true, you do drag stuff out of Safari windows. However there is no good reason to drag stuff INTO Safari windows. Web applications are absolute evil, and if you hate tabs you should hate web applications too. If you want to open something in Safari, you right click and "open with Safari". If you want items to open in the same window or a new window, that's a Safari preference. Tabs only impede dragging stuff into windows.

Barto
  • Reply 77 of 83
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

It's true, you do drag stuff out of Safari windows. However there is no good reason to drag stuff INTO Safari windows. Web applications are absolute evil, and if you hate tabs you should hate web applications too. If you want to open something in Safari, you right click and "open with Safari". If you want items to open in the same window or a new window, that's a Safari preference. Tabs only impede dragging stuff into windows.

Barto

That's patently untrue. I drag & drop files into Safari from time to time, and I'd love the ability to drag a folder of images to the window and have each file open as a seperate tab. Preview doesn't work well for this, since image files can be of varying sizes but the window doesn't (and shouldn't) resize properly.

And "web applications are evil"? Care to explain that?
  • Reply 78 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

Preview doesn't work well for this, since image files can be of varying sizes but the window doesn't (and shouldn't) resize properly.

Like I said before, thats a case for Preview being improved, not a case for you or anyone else using Safari for something other than what it is intended for.

Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

And "web applications are evil"? Care to explain that?

Some aren't too bad because of simplicity (like simple admin interfaces - eg SWAT). But the majority of interfaces become terrible when confined to a single, fairly static window. Not to mention slow as all heck.

Barto
  • Reply 79 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Like I said before, thats a case for Preview being improved, not a case for you or anyone else using Safari for something other than what it is intended for.

That seems to be your lack of foresight getting in the way, not the browser paradigm.

Any object can be a webpage. Imagine if I added "index.jpg" as a possible index file and made that my website. Would that be any less of a webpage than any other? Should I not be able to drag it back in and view it in a web browser? If I can view it in a web browser, drag it OUT of a web browser, why shouldn't I be able to drag it back into a web browser? How is a folder full of .jpgs logistically different from a folder full of .html files?
  • Reply 80 of 83
    Because one is a folder full of images and the other is a folder full of web pages.

There is no way in hell a JPEG file could be considered a web page by itself.