best digital camera...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
college freshman seeks best digital camera for fun



must be portable and cheap. i like higher resolutions, but more than 2 is too much for me. must be able to live with a smoker and cats...



anybody got suggestions?



subquestion: i know it wouldn't work as a digital camera, but is the isight worth it?
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 45
    Quote:

    Originally posted by voodoodle

    college freshman seeks best digital camera for fun



    must be portable and cheap. i like higher resolutions, but more than 2 is too much for me. must be able to live with a smoker and cats...



    anybody got suggestions?



    subquestion: i know it wouldn't work as a digital camera, but is the isight worth it?




    Pentax Optio S4. Fits into an Altoids tin. 4 megapixels. 3x optical zoom. Flash. Uses SD memory. Also mounts onto the Mac desktop as a drive.



    Picture quality is excellent for a small camera.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    Quote:

    Originally posted by voodoodle

    i like higher resolutions, but more than 2 is too much for me.



    More than 2 what? 2 megapixel? That's hardley the BEST digital camera as your title states. You can get numerous 2 megapixel cameras that are cheap ass and are priced very inexpensively these days.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    knappaknappa Posts: 106member
    I just love my Olympus C740UZ. Great camera, although it might be out of your range...
  • Reply 4 of 45
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Akumulator

    More than 2 what? 2 megapixel? That's hardley the BEST digital camera as your title states. You can get numerous 2 megapixel cameras that are cheap ass and are priced very inexpensively these days.



    "best digital camera for fun" for him. See the ellipsis. As for 2 megapixel and cheap, I'd look to the Canon A-Series.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    Definitely get the u30. It is the most stylish camera out there. It is also the smallest 2 megapixel camera.



    www.sonystyle.com





    I have it and so does Luca Rescigno. People stop and look at my camera all the time. Its cool factor is max.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    Quote:

    Originally posted by stevegongrui

    Definitely get the u30. It is the most stylish camera out there. It is also the smallest 2 megapixel camera.



    www.sonystyle.com





    I have it and so does Luca Rescigno. People stop and look at my camera all the time. Its cool factor is max.






    Exactly!!, i've got the older u20 and people still comment on it now!



    Stevegongrui is right on the money - cool factor is max!



    (oh, and i takes great photos)
  • Reply 7 of 45
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by youngjohn

    Exactly!!, i've got the older u20 and people still comment on it now!



    Stevegongrui is right on the money - cool factor is max!



    (oh, and i takes great photos)




    I hate SONY. Their memory sticks are MORE expensive than Compact Flash cards.



    I say get a nice Canon A70 3.2mp digicam. Or the Nikon Coolpix digicams. Or any other Pentax, Olympus, or Minolta brand digicam. They all use either CF or SD format.



    Cheers,

  • Reply 8 of 45
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Eugene

    As for 2 megapixel and cheap, I'd look to the Canon A-Series.



    I second the vote for the Canon PowerShot A-series. They offer the best quality and value in their price class. They use inexpensive AA batteries (get NiMH rechargeables) and CF memory (still the lowest $/MB). Plus Canon has the best software bundle, especially for OS X.



    Escher
  • Reply 9 of 45
    I would say Canon or Nikon and only because they are the two manufacturers that use Compact Flash, which seems to be both cheaper and more durable than other memory formats. I personally have a Nikon Coolpix 885, which takes excellent pictures by my estimation, but is probably in a price range above what you want.



    If I was buying right now and had your criterion, I'd look Canon (though I'm more than pleased with my Nikon).
  • Reply 10 of 45
    Quote:

    Originally posted by cj3209

    I hate SONY. Their memory sticks are MORE expensive than Compact Flash cards.



    I say get a nice Canon A70 3.2mp digicam.



    Damn Straight. Perfect form factor, most functions for the money, etc. I bought this after much research and LOVE it. Buy it.. love it.. you can't go wrong with this one.



    It's my 6th digital camera and by far the best I've ever owned (although I still have a soft spot for the QuickTake 150 that got me started).
  • Reply 11 of 45
    If you really care about style, go for the sony I say. You should all go take a look at it and take it for a spin because it is in my opinion the best made 2 megapixel small form factor camera.



    It costs 199 and you have a further 55 dollar rebate making it even cheaper.



    The Canon A series is a very nice camera, but it is far too large and in my opinion rather ugly compared to the sony.



    Compact flash cards? You're going to buy a camera just for the type of media it takes? Sounds like utter foolishness to me.



    The Memory Stick and now the Memory Stick Pro, while a bit more expensive is the best designed flash memory card for a number of reasons. I actually did my physics report on flash card memory.



    So before you jump to conclusions, think.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    plus, this guy wants a 2 megapixel camera to have fun. i think for his needs the u30 is the best.



    why are you recommending him the canon? lug around a big piece of ugly brick of a camera like the canon?
  • Reply 13 of 45
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Escher

    I second the vote for the Canon PowerShot A-series. They offer the best quality and value in their price class. They use inexpensive AA batteries (get NiMH rechargeables) and CF memory (still the lowest $/MB). Plus Canon has the best software bundle, especially for OS X.



    Escher




    I like our Canon A40. Now of course that model is phased out, but another vote for the A-series.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    stevegongrui, I'd have NO fun with any camera of any size that didn't have an optical zoom.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    I second the SONY U30. At $200, you're not going to find much difference between any of the brands with the exception of the design of the device and memory format. For this price range then, I find the size and ergonomics of the U30 to be stellar. And at 2MP, not a bad camera at all. It also has a fixed lens at f.2.8, which is far superior to the crumby zoom lenses that most cheap cameras have. "The best lens in a photographers bag is his own two feet." Believe it or not, the quality of the SONY optics are on par with Nikon or Canon in the consumer realm. Personally, unless Apple makes it, I buy SONY (for consumer products). Granted, I'm an anal s.o.b. and like all my electronics to match but that's for another thread.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    Oh yeah, I completely agree.



    My electronics are either Apple or Sony, period.



    Actually, almost everythnig I have is Sony.



    Sony=Mercedes Benz



    Canon and others=Volks Wagen or Japanese cars



    Yes, you get more for the price with canon, but Sony will always be on top, just like the star.



    To those of you who diss Sony and Mercedes-Benz, f uck you!!!!!
  • Reply 17 of 45
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by stevegongrui

    Oh yeah, I completely agree.



    My electronics are either Apple or Sony, period.



    Actually, almost everythnig I have is Sony.



    Sony=Mercedes Benz



    Canon and others=Volks Wagen or Japanese cars



    Yes, you get more for the price with canon, but Sony will always be on top, just like the star.



    To those of you who diss Sony and Mercedes-Benz, f uck you!!!!!




    Are you for real?



    Sony=Mercedes? Canon/others=Volkswagen or Japanese cars?



    'nuff said...



  • Reply 18 of 45
    back on subject... does anybody recommend the nikon coolpix 2100. i have a nikon n65 so the controls are similar. i know that it uses only 2 aa batteries instead of 4 like the canon. it's smaller and more ergonomick, but how is it after a couple of weeks? how are the pictures?



    thanks for all the help
  • Reply 19 of 45
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 448member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by voodoodle

    back on subject... does anybody recommend the nikon coolpix 2100. i have a nikon n65 so the controls are similar. i know that it uses only 2 aa batteries instead of 4 like the canon. it's smaller and more ergonomick, but how is it after a couple of weeks? how are the pictures?



    thanks for all the help




    Steve's Digicam Review



    DP Review



    These are good places to check out digi cameras. There are even owner's comments.



    The Sony U30 is, no doubt, a nice camera, and cute too.

    But personally, I wouldn't want one with no optical zoom, as someone else stated, and there is such a thing as too small, which IMO that one is.

    Good luck with your choice!!
  • Reply 20 of 45
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    All I know is there's a D70 coming from Nikon in the spring (probably summer) and that it's going to resurrect a set of Nikon lenses -- from a film SLR that's been gathering dust in closet. Go Nikon.
Sign In or Register to comment.