best digital camera...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

All I know is there's a D70 coming from Nikon in the spring (probably summer) and that it's going to resurrect a set of Nikon lenses -- from a film SLR that's been gathering dust in closet. Go Nikon.

What he means is that Nikon is coming out with a digital slr that will compete with Canon's Digital Rebel, probably around $999 for the body only and 6 MP.

Isn't competition great?

• Reply 22 of 45
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Fvcking right it is!

I have a 28mm, 50mm, and 70-200 zoom just waiting for that Nikon body. All manual, but that's not really a problem, I'm guessing Nikon will provide one kit lense with about 28-90/28-105 equivalent zoom, and with the multiplier, my 70-200 will be good for about 100-300. So I'm covered for most stuff. I shot a few rolls of Black and white with this camera, but in the end it was just too much hassle to buy film and get it developed, and I wouldn't have the resources and time to learn how to develop my own film, so it gathers dust most of the time.

Canon sells their kit for 999 with a kit lense. I'd bet that Nikon also provides a kit lense at the price.

Who knows, mebbe Fuji or Kodak will jump in with a consumer priced Nikon-mount digital body?
  • Reply 23 of 45
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I picked up Canon's Digital Rebel 2 weeks ago and I'm loving this camera! It takes some of the sharpest pictures I've ever seen! Definitely worth the $$$ (but obviously out of the thread-starter's price range).
  • Reply 24 of 45
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj3209

Isn't competition great?

Fvcking right it is!

As Nelly says: "It's getting hot in here, so take off all your clothes."

Having the Canon Digital Rebel available now and the Nikon D70 in the spring helped me decide to wait at least another six months to get a DSLR. Of course, the lenses gathering dust in my closet are Pentax lenses, so I really want a sub-US$1000 Pentax *ist D. The Pentax would also let me coninue to use the AA NiNM from my PowerShot A20 instead of forcing expensive new proprietary batteries on me.

In the meantime, I'm tempted to upgrade my aging Canon A20 point & shoot. But I can't decide between the 3MP A70 (relatively cheap) and 4MP A80 with the foldout screen.

Escher
  • Reply 25 of 45
    Sony cybershot dsc p72 (i tihnk that model number's right). trust me, thats the one you want
  • Reply 26 of 45
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

Oh yeah, I completely agree.

My electronics are either Apple or Sony, period.

Actually, almost everythnig I have is Sony.

Sony=Mercedes Benz

Canon and others=Volks Wagen or Japanese cars

Yes, you get more for the price with canon, but Sony will always be on top, just like the star.

To those of you who diss Sony and Mercedes-Benz, f uck you!!!!!

You're crazy. Canon has been making glass longer than Sony has. Canon doesn't advertise its lenses as being 'Carl Zeiss' lenses when they really aren't.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    Quote:

Fvcking right it is!

I have a 28mm, 50mm, and 70-200 zoom just waiting for that Nikon body. All manual, but that's not really a problem, I'm guessing Nikon will provide one kit lense with about 28-90/28-105 equivalent zoom, and with the multiplier, my 70-200 will be good for about 100-300. So I'm covered for most stuff. I shot a few rolls of Black and white with this camera, but in the end it was just too much hassle to buy film and get it developed, and I wouldn't have the resources and time to learn how to develop my own film, so it gathers dust most of the time.

Canon sells their kit for 999 with a kit lense. I'd bet that Nikon also provides a kit lense at the price.

Who knows, mebbe Fuji or Kodak will jump in with a consumer priced Nikon-mount digital body?

Er, first of all, Kodak would be using the lenses designed for E-System or whatever Kodak decides to call its own branded version of the Olympus equivalent.

Second of all, Nikon has been really lagging. As far as D-SLRs go, I wouldn't look twice at any Nikon offering right now, especially if the D70 doesn't show any major improvements over the D100. Don't even get me started with the D2H...that camera has one foot in the grave already.

I wonder what Canon will have announced by the time Nikon ships the D70...
  • Reply 28 of 45
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I'm probably going to get a Canon A60 by month's end. It recently dropped to $199. Small body, iPhoto/OS X savvy, 3.2x optical zoom, 2 megapixels, etc.

For anything I do, it'll be wonderful. Can't really justify the extra $100 for the 3.2 megapixel A70 since...I don't even have a printer and will be using it 96% of the time for online/screen-based stuff, so...
  • Reply 29 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Er, first of all, Kodak would be using the lenses designed for E-System or whatever Kodak decides to call its own branded version of the Olympus equivalent.

Second of all, Nikon has been really lagging. As far as D-SLRs go, I wouldn't look twice at any Nikon offering right now, especially if the D70 doesn't show any major improvements over the D100. Don't even get me started with the D2H...that camera has one foot in the grave already.

On the last point, yeah, don't I know it. But I have these here lenses, they were free, and while they're all manual focus, they would still cost a bit to replace.

I'm not so sure Kodak or Fuji, both signed up for 4/3rds, will stay with 4/3rds for long, even if they come out with something. Nikon and Canon are turning APS/35mm hybrids (APS sized sensor in a 35mm body) into a defacto standard for digital photography (pro and sports) while moving full frame into the domain of medium format. With "digital" lenses from Canon and Nikon, the APS-size format is doing really well now. Fuji's S1 and S2 take Nikon mount and can avail themselves of the new DX lenses. Kodak's full frame camera likewise uses Nikon lenses and needs no special wides. What would it take for Kodak to drop an APS sized sensor into the DCS14n ? Photogs already know where to go for wides, and the camera would accept them. Done. I wonder what the delay is? I think Kodak and Fuji are weighing their decisions carefully. It cost them nothing to support Olympus on paper, but they know that photographers have big money in lenses, and that the OLy lenses aren't any cheaper. Pros will not "switch", and consumers won't bite unless the cost of 4/3rds drops a lot. This guarantees that Nikon and Canon mounts remain the leaders for a good long time. If consumer models come in with a decent kit lense (like Canon has done) and good affordable 3rd party lenses, 4/3rds is going to be in trouble -- it already is.

A 6MP APS-size sensor has about 70-75% the resolution of a 35mm negative. For some uses the much lower noise characteristics of digital surpass film already. With a new generation of 8-11MP (APS size) sensors in about 18 months, digital will be the equal of film in just about every respect. Some films will still have more outright resolution, but they will also have a lot more grain that negates much of that advantage, particularly at higher speeds. Funny you mention the D2H with what seems like a paltry 4MP, because at the ISO 3200 speeds where the camera will earn it's living it is about the equal of ISO 3200 film. Weird huh? The noise (grain) of higher speed film negates much of the advantage in resolution. So long as individual pixels stay above 6um the noise characteristics of digital exceed those of 35mm film.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    Quote:

Have you ever used a D2h? I have one and use it extensively. I doubt very much that it 'has one foot in the grave.' When the Canon 1D came out people were decrying the banding issues, blah, blah, blah...Canon released a fix and it's turned out to be a superb dSLR. All the hoopla about the noise issues will be resolved with the D2h. Actually, if you expose properly the noise is not even an issue.

Why would an amateur-class camera like the D70 need to show improvements over the D100? Does Canon's Digital Rebel show improvements over the 10D? Most people I know who have used the Digital Rebel have gone on to the 10D.

Please don't get ME started on this type of ridiculous banter by people who may not have even used the cameras that they decry so readily.

Have a nice day.

• Reply 31 of 45
    Anyone here get to play with the Canon PowerShot A80? Seems like this would be the perfect choice regards the original post..
  • Reply 32 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I'm probably going to get a Canon A60 by month's end.... Can't really justify the extra $100 for the 3.2 megapixel A70

Very wise decision, pscates. My A20, the 2MP predecessor of the A60, cost twice as much but has served me very well. It makes brilliant 4x5 prints (via iPhoto) and even 8x10's are acceptable. Obviously anything for the web looks just great. Seeing that the A60 is two generations newer, it can only be even better.

Escher
  • Reply 33 of 45
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Originally posted by voodoodle

college freshman seeks best digital camera for fun

must be portable and cheap. i like higher resolutions, but more than 2 is too much for me. must be able to live with a smoker and cats...

Canon S230

Small, great pictures, pretty inexpensive/uses compact flash. Easily carried in a pant/short pocket. I bought one as a "second" camera (to my Pro90 IS), but I use it primarily. If I were a college freshman (16 years too late), it would always be in my backpack/bookbag.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    Quote:

Have you ever used a D2h? I have one and use it extensively. I doubt very much that it 'has one foot in the grave.' When the Canon 1D came out people were decrying the banding issues, blah, blah, blah...Canon released a fix and it's turned out to be a superb dSLR. All the hoopla about the noise issues will be resolved with the D2h. Actually, if you expose properly the noise is not even an issue.

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm sure it takes nice photographs, but at what price? How big of a step up is it from the D1X and D1H? It's a camera that should have been released a year ago.

Quote:

Why would an amateur-class camera like the D70 need to show improvements over the D100? Does Canon's Digital Rebel show improvements over the 10D? Most people I know who have used the Digital Rebel have gone on to the 10D.

Again, the D70 MUST be a remarkable improvement on the D100 because the older camera never had several issues resolved....namely stepping issues on diagonal edges and absurdly soft interpolation (noise? ominous...)

Quote:

Please don't get ME started on this type of ridiculous banter by people who may not have even used the cameras that they decry so readily.

Have a nice day.

Not quite.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    Hi Guys,

I just got the Canon Rebel Digital EOS 300 today....

....OMFG!!!!!! It's soooooo f ucking cool!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys, you need to check it out.

But f uck, to transfer photos to iphoto takes so long!!!!!! It's a stupid usb 1 interface. And the microdrive comes with a pc card adapter but my ibook doesn't take them.

what is a cheap alternative to have an external pc card thing so I can connect it to my ibook?

Steve.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

Hi Guys,

I just got the Canon Rebel Digital EOS 300 today....

....OMFG!!!!!! It's soooooo f ucking cool!!!!!!!!!!!!

*grumbles in a jealous tone* I want to use my 70-200 f2.8 lens again dammit !

When the Nikon equiv comes out I would imagine Canon will be ready for them, cause hey nobody saw the 300d coming like it did. The modes that are firmwared out will probably be unlocked. There might even be a bump in its res to the next level, hmm maybe the revision after.. What eva happens in the next few months or so, the "affordable prosumer' dslr landscape changed the minute the 300d came a calling. Its only going to get better

p.s. The A70/80 range is the best in its class.. if you can squeak the xtra go the runout a70

p.p.s. I have never scene a professional photogapher using a sony camera so me thinx they might not be merc class just yet.. There is a reason the pros use Canon and Nikon..
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Quote:

Not quite.

So, Eugene, have you actually used a Nikon D2H? Or are you just parroting what you've read on the web? I want to know whether your opinion is based on your own experience or whether you're just opinionated.

Needless to say, I wholeheartedly agree that Nikon has a lot of catching up to do on the prosumer DSLR end. Canon's D30 and D60 were way ahead of Nikon's D100. And the Digital Rebel is way ahead of Nikon's (nonexistent) competing offerings. It seems obvious to me that Nikon announced the D70 a few months before availability just to stem a flood of holiday defections to Canon, even by Nikon (lens-owning) loyalists.

Back on topic, voodoodle's choice will hinge on his definition of "fun." Many of us in here count picture quality as a requirement for fun (and thus favor the Canon A-series), while others rate small size and fresh design more highly (those that are rooting for the Sony). As with so many purchases, it all depends on your (more detailed) requirements.

Escher
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

So, Eugene, have you actually used a Nikon D2H? Or are you just parroting what you've read on the web? I want to know whether your opinion is based on your own experience or whether you're just opinionated.

I have never used a production D2H outside of a tradeshow, but I have used *all* of its competitors. And the local shop doesn't have a loaner yet, so I probably won't be playing with one anytime soon. And NO, I don't think its issues can be resolved simply via a firmware upgrade.

Still, given the wide variety of criticisms from trustworthy sources, selecting a D2H over something else doesn't make sense to me *unless* you are up to your neck in Nikon hardware.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    What's to seperate the EOS-10D EOS-D60 and Nikon D100, really? Most reviews put them all very close. Close enough that lenses, support, and investment are more of deciding factor than the bodies themselves. Good photographers will take good pictures with any of them while people like us argue about whether or not they're any good.

Then you take the sport shooting class of cameras. The EOS-1D looks pretty good, and FAST, (about 7.5fps), but the D2H is there too, at 4MP and 8fps. The only reviews that I've read have great things to say about the D2H. I'll trust that Rob Galbraith is a better authirty than we are.

Then comes full-frame. Canon has the EOS-1Ds with 11MP. Reviewers tend to agree: it's the best full frame 35mm SLR. Nikon has nothing, but Kodak has the DCS-14n for Nikon lense users, which is also good for studio shooters with Nikon glass.

Which brings up and interesting issue. The Canon users have lots of great cameras, but with both Fuji and Kodak making Nikon mount systems, so do "Nikon" users.

No one on either "system" is really hurting for competent cameras or options.

Nikon is a little late with an entry DSLR, but so is everyone else, Canon really scored with its entry. Penatx built a camera that coulda/shoulda been a digital rebel, but they priced it too high, and Oly? They made a pro-camera without pro performance. Either way, pros don't care, and won't care about the D70 either, so what does it really have to beat? The 300D, and that's it.

How do we know what Canon will have when the D70 hits? I'm gonna guess they'll have the 300D (digital rebel) pretty much as is untill a while after the D70 comes out. Why does the D70 have to surpass the D100? The D300 doesn't surpass he 10D. Nikon just has to meet the 300D for as long as that model exists. You won't see higher resolutions in entry level DSLRs for quite a while, I wouldn't expect too many improvements to the Digital Rebel for at least another year/year and a half, at least.

Interestingly,

When Canon released the 300D, their kit price was 999USD, but the Canadian press release put the kit price at nearly 2000 Canadian. Nikon Canada has announced that the D70 will be 1400 Canadian when it arrives. The 300D has dropped in recent weeks to a more reasonable 1600 Canadian, but it is still inflated relative to the US. Kudos to Nikon for not fleecing its Canadian customers.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Quote:

What's to seperate the EOS-10D EOS-D60 and Nikon D100, really? Most reviews put them all very close. Close enough that lenses, support, and investment are more of deciding factor than the bodies themselves. Good photographers will take good pictures with any of them while people like us argue about whether or not they're any good.

Then you take the sport shooting class of cameras. The EOS-1D looks pretty good, and FAST, (about 7.5fps), but the D2H is there too, at 4MP and 8fps. The only reviews that I've read have great things to say about the D2H. I'll trust that Rob Galbraith is a better authirty than we are.

Then comes full-frame. Canon has the EOS-1Ds with 11MP. Reviewers tend to agree: it's the best full frame 35mm SLR. Nikon has nothing, but Kodak has the DCS-14n for Nikon lense users, which is also good for studio shooters with Nikon glass.

Which brings up and interesting issue. The Canon users have lots of great cameras, but with both Fuji and Kodak making Nikon mount systems, so do "Nikon" users.

No one on either "system" is really hurting for competent cameras or options.

Nikon is a little late with an entry DSLR, but so is everyone else, Canon really scored with its entry. Penatx built a camera that coulda/shoulda been a digital rebel, but they priced it too high, and Oly? They made a pro-camera without pro performance. Either way, pros don't care, and won't care about the D70 either, so what does it really have to beat? The 300D, and that's it.

How do we know what Canon will have when the D70 hits? I'm gonna guess they'll have the 300D (digital rebel) pretty much as is untill a while after the D70 comes out. Why does the D70 have to surpass the D100? The D300 doesn't surpass he 10D. Nikon just has to meet the 300D for as long as that model exists. You won't see higher resolutions in entry level DSLRs for quite a while, I wouldn't expect too many improvements to the Digital Rebel for at least another year/year and a half, at least.

Interestingly,

When Canon released the 300D, their kit price was 999USD, but the Canadian press release put the kit price at nearly 2000 Canadian. Nikon Canada has announced that the D70 will be 1400 Canadian when it arrives. The 300D has dropped in recent weeks to a more reasonable 1600 Canadian, but it is still inflated relative to the US. Kudos to Nikon for not fleecing its Canadian customers.

As much as I would love to continue on with all this dSLR-talk, it's not really appropriate for most members of AI.

Suffice it to say that when you're talking about DSLR cameras at the level of Canon's 1D/1Ds and Nikon's D1x/D2h, I find time and time again that the limiting factor to my photos is ME and NOT my camera. Both Canon and Nikon have very capable dSLRs and if I didn't have an extensive list of Nikkor lenses, who knows, I might be using Canon today!

PS: Eugene, I re-read my post and I'm sorry if it seemed like I jumped on you. I just see way too many posts from people (in digital slr forums like dpreview.com) who push info onto others without their own input or usage.