Oh, look..I'm $3,000 poorer than yesterday!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
repost of my last post in the 15" alubook performance thread:

Well last night my Pismo shut down because the battery was drained and it wouldn't recognize the A/C power cord..[edit: which has been happening alot] I finally got it rigged to boot and work (and charge). I thought about sending it in, but I can't be without it and its 3.5 years old.

I said "[eff it]" last night and ordered a new one.

15.2" /SuperDrive/1.25GHZ

80GB 5400 RPM

one 512MB module

Pro Shoulder Case

Apple Care

Thanks for all the help. I wanted to wait it out, but I really couldn't. My machine had a new battery 3 months ago, so it's not that. It's some problem with the power port itself, not the cord, which is also pretty new. Not worth it. Alubook, here I come. Ships in 5-7 days, express.

BTW, when it comes, I'll move everything off my Pismo, send it in (it is still under Apple Care until March, I think) and then sell it. $300-500 will be nice.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    n3on3o Posts: 56member
    My congratulations !
  • Reply 2 of 45
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    kungrads!

(Excuse my phonetical spelling)
  • Reply 3 of 45
    Congratulations.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    How can it be under AppleCare until March? I thought they were discontinued in January 2001. I guess you could have bought a refurb from the Apple Store after the TiBook came out...

Oh yeah, and congratulations, I hope you like your new machine!
  • Reply 5 of 45
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    Cancel the order.

3 out of 5 new 15" PowerBooks are having to be returned for repair, bad separators on on the screens, leaving white impressions on the screen.

Wait. Wait. Wait.

I'm serious.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

Cancel the order.

3 out of 5 new 15" PowerBooks are having to be returned for repair, bad separators on on the screens, leaving white impressions on the screen.

Wait. Wait. Wait.

I'm serious.

I doubt that stat. I've heard many are fine.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

How can it be under AppleCare until March? I thought they were discontinued in January 2001. I guess you could have bought a refurb from the Apple Store after the TiBook came out...

Oh yeah, and congratulations, I hope you like your new machine!

Because it was never activated for some reason...until later. They went from the date of activation, which was in 2001 I guess.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Cancel the order.

Wait. Wait. Wait.

I'm serious.

Where have you been? That problem is resolved. I'm serious.

Now, backlighting.... if you want to talk backlighting...

[I tried to post this to the "white spots" thread, but some database error is preventing me.]

Still no white spots here.

But...

I'm suffering from uneven backlighting. Shows up generally after the display has been asleep or on screensaver. More noticeable at lower brightness settings (of course). This is really a drag. I'm really not looking forward to the whole repair thing again. I'm sure it would be a repair. I'd really just like to go with a different machine, but my work style means a laptop is better, and I just can't get behind that cookie sheet of a 17" (which, btw, seems to have a much weaker/flexy right wristrest area at the slot).

I did go to my Apple Store last night, and they did replace my broken key. That was nice.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    You may be serious.

But you are also wrong.

No offense.

These PowerBooks suck, QA-wise. Wait.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

You may be serious.

But you are also wrong.

No offense.

These PowerBooks suck, QA-wise. Wait.

normally i would attempt to rip into posts like this but i fear he speaks the truth.

QA on these machines seems weak to say the least.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    as of the last month or so they've been fine, aside from normal the typical problems.

the white spot issues have been resolved.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    These issues are now showing up in the iBooks as well. I wish the problems really had been fixed, but they do no appear so.

Unless you are willing to live without the laptop for a few days, please wait. It is just not yet time to say ANY of Apple's current laptops are the products of a high-quality manufacturing process.

January. Probably.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    Quote:

These issues are now showing up in the iBooks as well. I wish the problems really had been fixed, but they do no appear so.

Unless you are willing to live without the laptop for a few days, please wait. It is just not yet time to say ANY of Apple's current laptops are the products of a high-quality manufacturing process.

January. Probably.

Thanks for your expert opinion. There have been some QA issues...everyone knows that. It most likely has gotten blown out of proportion. If there is a problem, Apple is going to take the machine back and give me a new one...or guess what? Charge back. I love that phrase. Say it with me: "Charge back". Here's another one: "Hello, Mr. Platinum Visa representative. I have a dfective product that the manufacturer won't replace as per their warranty. I'm placing the charge on my card in dispute".

I'll keep everyone posted.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    I just got a new powerbook for a guy at work here, and they use different screen as on mine (also 15 AL, but earlier batch), these new LCD are way better, color wise, And picture looks sharper a bit. I had both powerbooks side by side and difference is VERY apparent.

I do have these ****** white spots on mine, but i'm gonna wait a month to see if his develops that problem as well, if not i will send mine for repair.

I wish battery life would be better, but not really a big deal for me.

Other than that, no complaints.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I appear to have gotten one of those mysterious PERFECT 15" PowerBooks, jccbin.

• Reply 16 of 45
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    you may want to still send in the pismo for repair while you wait. my wife's pismo went belly up a month ago, and it was still under the applecare 3-year warranty. called up apple, and they had it fixed with new motherboard and hard drive within 48 hours from when i received the shipping box (which was 24 hours after i called apple to begin with). it actually runs better than ever now...
  • Reply 17 of 45
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    nice decision. i love the new 15" powerbooks, and like you said, if problems arise, you do have a warranty. do you plan on getting the extended applecare with this machine too?

now you won't need another laptop until 2007ish
  • Reply 18 of 45
    I got applecare on it, yes. But if it has any major problems it is going back. Mark my words. I don't lost battles like that. Wait till I tell them I'm a teacher and if they don't do the right thing I'll be explaining to my Superintendent why my 3,500 student district should by Dell's next time.

and again, the Pismo is going back for repair once I have the other machine. Then it's sale time. It's in good shape otherwise.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul Skatea

I appear to have gotten one of those mysterious PERFECT 15" PowerBooks, jccbin.

yup yup yup
  • Reply 20 of 45
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by machem

Now, backlighting.... if you want to talk backlighting...

But...

I'm suffering from uneven backlighting. Shows up generally after the display has been asleep or on screensaver.

No white spots on my 15" Powerbook either, but could you describe the uneven backlighting issue you're having in a little more detail.

Just asking because when I first boot up there is a noticable darker area on the screen running up the middle of my screen. I turn up the brightness completely and this goes away. Then I'm able to turn the brightness to suit my needs without the darker area reappearing.