Bush Unbeatable?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 233
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Wow...you are amazing. 2004 is predicted to be the best economic year in 20 years. Growth is astounding right now...and btw, even 4% is considered very good growth.

And as far a $2400 a year goes, it's true.

Gotta get my breath!
  • Reply 62 of 233
    Quote:

Wow...you are amazing. 2004 is predicted to be the best economic year in 20 years.

Cite?

Quote:

Growth is astounding right now...and btw, even 4% is considered very good growth.

Of course growth is good. We're massively hyper-stimulating the economy with tens upon tens of billions of deficit spending. We're artificially inflating the size of the economy by effectively creating money with which to incite growth. At this point the deficit spending has reached the point that the economy would have to be growing.

But it's still not as good of an economy as when Bush took office. And given the reliance on deficit governmental spending, it's also not as sound of one.
  • Reply 63 of 233
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    hehe... boy does Bush have a "strong" understanding of monetary policy.

From Busy, Busy, Busy. George W. Bush's briefers have convinced him that he needs to say "strong" in answer to any press question that has the word "dollar" in it. But they haven't managed to teach him why or where the word "strong" belongs in the answer:

Busy, Busy, Busy: Q: Mr. President, the dollar fell again today, against the euro. Mr. Snow, your Treasury Secretary says that the decline has been orderly, boosting exports. Do you plan any intervention to stop the slide in the dollar?

MR. BUSH: My answer to that question about the dollar is that this government is for a strong dollar, and that the dollar's value ought to be set by the market and by the conditions inherent in our respective economies. And our economy is very strong and is getting stronger. But the policy, the stated policy--and not only the stated policy, but the strong belief of this administration is that we have a strong dollar.

Quite sad, in a way. But also quite funny. And it is a mark of how little people expect from George W. Bush that nobody is surprised.

It is also worth asking just why George W. Bush feels he has to say that there is a difference between the "stated policy" of the administration and the administration's "beliefs." How many things that are the "stated policy" of the administration does it not "believe"? And what are they? There must be a bunch--or the distinction wouldn't be worth making, would it.

And is there really somebody in the administration who is telling George W. Bush that the dollar is currently strong? And if so, who? And why?
  • Reply 64 of 233
    And how strong is that dollar?

the euro $1.228 against the dollar.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...dc_8&printer=1
  • Reply 65 of 233
    " http://money.cnn.com/2003/12/15/tech...ex.htm?cnn=yes "

Oh yeah this is gong to be the best year in 20. Uh huh.

SDW please come back to earth.
  • Reply 66 of 233
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

Yeah, I call bullshit on that one, too.

BTW: It's pretty easy to see that SDW knows very about reading markets. I'll be slightly nice and not say how you can easily tell. He's clearly one of the bipolar trader types.

Judging by how many people on this board bought the new $3,000 Apple 15" portable computer, I'd say the economy is doing well. A strong ingredient of this argument is perception, and the perception even among the overwhelmingly leftist membership of AI is that the economy is getting better and will continue to get better for a while to come.
  • Reply 67 of 233
    It's called a CREDIT CARD.

Just like Bush... awww what the hell... just charge it.
  • Reply 68 of 233
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

It's called a CREDIT CARD.

Just like Bush... awww what the hell... just charge it.

Regardless. They made that vote. So it's obvious where their real thoughts on matter lie.
  • Reply 69 of 233
    Quote:

Originally posted by majorspunk

Judging by how many people on this board bought the new $3,000 Apple 15" portable computer, I'd say the economy is doing well. A strong ingredient of this argument is perception, and the perception even among the overwhelmingly leftist membership of AI is that the economy is getting better and will continue to get better for a while to come.

Yeah that's logical! In a pig's eye!
  • Reply 70 of 233
    How about there was pent up demand because it was expected 9 months earlier.

Last week the consumer confidence level had taken a nasty dip.

But you probably didn't notice that.
  • Reply 71 of 233
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimmac

Yeah that's logical! In a pig's eye!

You just know that when they start laughing like a stupefied hyaena you got them where it hurts..

Maybe you'll find this a little more "logical".. DJIA going from 7,500 to breaking above 10,000 this last week. But what does the market know.. We're in a recession.. blah, blah, blah,..
  • Reply 72 of 233
    Like I've said before...

And the rich get richer.
  • Reply 73 of 233
    Quote:

Like I've said before...

And the rich get richer.

Maybe their "idealism" didn't hinder them from participating in the capitalist system.. So having invested that money in Apple six months ago, they made a nice return on their investment, allowing for nice little purchase of a $3,000 luxury item.
  • Reply 74 of 233
    hehe... oooook... it's idealism that makes our capitalist society work.

Don't worry about being jobless! As long as you have the right outlook the stockmarket will go up! yeah!
  • Reply 75 of 233
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

hehe... oooook... it's idealism that makes our capitalist society work.

And our foreign policy! Although it doesn't end up making it work.
  • Reply 76 of 233
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Yea like the UN policies that work so well.
  • Reply 77 of 233
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

Yeah, sometimes we can forget that the idiots need a voice on AO, too. SDW is that voice.

now now, we all know we're all idiots here. no need to single out specific ones.
  • Reply 78 of 233
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    You guys can pile on me all you want. It doesn't make you any more right. I'm not getting into more pissing contests with you. If you are so blinded by Bush hatred that you can't even see the political reality, then I almost feel badly for you.
  • Reply 79 of 233
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

You guys can pile on me all you want. It doesn't make you any more right. I'm not getting into more pissing contests with you. If you are so blinded by Bush hatred that you can't even see the political reality, then I almost feel badly for you.

Now, now...

This aggressive, surly, rude, boorish optimism is the face that they show to us .

Behind closed doors, in the secret recesses of the Democratic Party, a different picture emerges:

http://www.democraticunderground.com...opic_id=916950

If I may quote:

>>>>>Mr. James Taranto ....Wall Street Journal

Unlike the Democratic presidential candidates, some grass-roots Dems are unable to contain their gloom over the wonderful news. Here's a post by someone called ikojo at DemocraticUnderground.com (quoted verbatim):

I had a horrible feeling in my stomach this morning when I saw that Hussein had been capatured.

This is a BIG boost for *. This will be used in campaign literature. It will make Dems and others who opposed the war look bad as well. I don't regret opposing shrub's war of aggression on Iraq but it sure will be hard for the candidates now, unless they press the Where's Osama issue but since a majority of Americans already believe that Hussein was behind 9/11/01 it hardly matters.

All of a sudden I am not confident he will lose in 2004.

Please boost my confidence in shrub's defeat in November 2004.

Look what he has going for him right now:

Dow over 10,000

Hussein captured

The pug CONvention is going to be in NYC around the time of the 9/11 anniversary

A complacent and compliant right-wing corporate controlled media all too willing to act as an arm of the pentagon and white house press room.

His administration did what his daddy did not, supposedly captured Hussein.

The conspiracy theorist in me says that if this is REALLY Hussein then why didn't * and his media minions not wait until Monday to announce his capture?

Needing encouragement that * can be defeated. Now the stuff about Halliburton overcharging the government will be placed on the back burner as the corporate media celebrates the capture of Hussein.

Not feeling hopeful right now. I have a lot of fear of what he could do if given a second term.

Here's a sampling of comments from "Kicking Ass," the official blog of the Democratic National Committee (also quoted verbatim):

* Pam Bergren: "I personally don't care too much that Hussein was caught--he never did anything to me."

* "marsh": "This is supposed to be a war on terror, not a war on tyranny."

* Erik Latranyi: "Well, tha capture of Sadaam takes the 'failure to capture' issue off the table. Now that the economy is picking up (mall was packed yesterday), Iraq is getting better, prescription drugs on the way, education spending at an all-time high, no further terrorist attacks--what is left? Oh, yes, the capture of Bin Laden. If that happens, we are completely sunk."

<<<<<

Priceless.

But don't be depressed, Loyal Democrats, better times are just around the corner! Afterall, It will take time, a great deal of time, for the Iraqi Judical Infrastructure to be established to the degree that it must be in order to guard President Hussein's Rights and to try such a monumental case as that of People of Iraq v. Saddam Hussein. Yes, months to make all of the stakeholding allies happy. Then a trial of, oh, a few more months. Heart-tearing, wailing testimony from mutilated survivors and relatives of the murdered all broadcast faithfully and completely (on Fox News, anyway). Guilty verdict (after a weekend of deliberations, of course) delivered about... Monday, November 1st, 2004.

My advice? Get even more emotionally tied up in your candidate! Make the outcome of the 2004 election your reason for living. Get out there and go for it! Tear Down The Wall!

Yours in Schadenfreud,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 80 of 233
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

now now, we all know we're all idiots here. no need to single out specific ones.

Hey, I resemble that remark!