Expose isn't very "ingenious"

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
(Ingenious, for lack of a better word...)

I'm a Windows XP user (Don't flame . But I really want a mac), and after seeing numerous videos of Expose in action, I discovered that Windows has had that feature in many releases of their OS's. This is what I'm talking about

Oh yeah, and hey to all you people on the forum. I'm new

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    You are playing with your life! \
  • Reply 2 of 48
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Tell us something we don't know. Go back to school, Pointdexter, and report back when you've really learned about Exposé.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    Well, thats why I said "very". I know Expose kicks Windows feature in the @$$, but still, I was just pointing out that Windows has had a feature like that for a while
  • Reply 4 of 48
    Windows has had "Show Desktop" for years. But that's hardly Expose'. There's nothing here folks, these aren't the droids you're looking for.

John
  • Reply 5 of 48
    I'm not only talking about "Show Desktop", but also the "Cascade Windows" and such
  • Reply 6 of 48
    psgamer... dude I mean c'mon there's no comparison.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    that so doesn't compare! it makes it so that the windows are all resized, and you can see the title of the window. but that is very unhelpful, you have to maximize all the windows all over again..
  • Reply 8 of 48
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

I'm not only talking about "Show Desktop", but also the "Cascade Windows" and such

No it's not the same. Expose scales the windows into small thumbnails on the fly based on your function key or gesture. It's far more fluid in actual use. Imagine being able to maximize all of your Windows and select different apps with "one click"(don't sue me Amazon). Windows does not do that nor does "Tile Windows"

The good news is Expose is just one forward thinking feature that Apple has. Come'on over and you'll find perhaps hundreds of these features in the os. That's why Macs become such a pleasure to use. The Devil is in the details.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    Well, you took that well. I just just kidding with you.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    I wonder how many Windows users that actually uses the "tile windows xxxxxx" command? If you have more than two windows open it's absolutely useless. It produces more clutter than it resolves, resizes your windows and makes them almost unusable, and it doesn't come near the functionality of Exposé.

This was probably more comment than this thread deserves.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    Cool find for windows. However I can tell you it's not the same, I wish it were since I use windows at work. It doesn't go back to the original state after you tile it so it's really not useful. Same with the show desktop button in windows, it won't let you return to all your windows instantly.

Welcome to the Mac world, play with Expose in real life and you'll find that there is nothing like it. To be honest I hope for the sake of everyone's computing experience that windows does a decent copy-cat feature
  • Reply 12 of 48
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by psgamer0921

[B](Ingenious, for lack of a better word...)

I'm a Windows XP user (Don't flame . But I really want a mac), and after seeing numerous videos of Expose in action, I discovered that Windows has had that feature in many releases of their OS's. This is what I'm talking about

Expose is NOT the windows Tile Windows command et al. It does NOT rearrange the open windows on your desktop. Well, it does sorta, temporarily, so that you can access the window you need. You should go to a store that sells Macs and check it out. When I first saw the demo I kinda looked at it the way you are (I have used Windows for as long as I used Macs). And... I must say, after working with it... it is the cat's meow!

Expose is one of the most useful ways of working with files on the desktop and windows. The faux pas is that it doesn't dispay minimixed windows (from the dock).
  • Reply 13 of 48
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    I "forgot" about Exposé until just now. TIme to open some more windows and press F9. Wheee!

What happens if an application uses F9?
  • Reply 14 of 48
    How could you "forget" about Exposé?!?!

You can remap the default F9 key for Exposé to almost any other key combo you want if there's a conflict. Well, a lot of other combos anyway. That's true of F10 and F11 too of course. Or you could take away any key combo and just use the screen corners to activate Exposé/ I do that most often (though I keep the keys mapped.) Just look in the Exposé pane of your system Preferences.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Cascade and Tile Windows permanently reposition and resize your windows.

Expose isn't so invasive. Expose doesn't permanently reposition or resize your windows.

I seldom use Expose, but I do use it. I'd never use Cascade and Tile Windows.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    What he ^ said.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

This is what I'm talking about

What the...

Oh... it's a joke. I get it.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    There was the exact same argument going on in the Ars Battlefront. The Windows guys were claiming expose was just window tiling.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Grape Graphics: The reason you minimise windows is to get them completely out of your workspace. If you had the windows you didn't want shown on your workspace shown in Expose, it would defeat the pupose of minimizing windows.

(I know that my point is a bit unclear, but that's the best I can manage at 8:00 AM)
  • Reply 20 of 48
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    window tiling can be useful... for example the print server at the lab I work at has 9 printers hooked up... each has their own queue... so we always have the 9 windows tiled so we can see each at a glance... then we maximize the one we are working with at the time or to investigate any problems... then restore it to it's tiled state... works pretty well... kinda like expose in reverse... (but you have to hit a MUCH smaller target rather then just the whole window)