Why the "minipod" is not going to happen:

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    ^^^^^

Yeah, you'll have to wait for the Apple Movie Store to fill up that HD.
  • Reply 42 of 73
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    The unwashed PC masses don't want iPods that cost more than their Dell's....just that simple.

Besides in 5 years mp3 players will be like instamatic cameras....disposable. It is the computer that is the hub, not the periferal.
  • Reply 43 of 73
    i'm not sure if mini ipods will happen or not, but based on what apple has said in the past it would be unusual.

the advantage of the mini ipod would be to sell more music on itunes, but itunes isn't all that profitable. steve jobs has said it's there to sell ipods, not the other way around. besides, people with mini ipods would buy a whole lot less from itunes.

i don't know if people who want low cost mp3 players would buy an apple product anyway.
  • Reply 44 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

^^^^^

Yeah, you'll have to wait for the Apple Movie Store to fill up that HD.

you laugh, but it could happen.... a touch screen ipod with a bigger color display.
  • Reply 45 of 73
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I think we'll get some sort of mini ipod simply because of the lack of denials from apple. Usually when a rumor gets this out of control and actual news sites start picking it up and running it, apple will issue a denial if it isn't true.
  • Reply 46 of 73
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG3

Honestly, who the f*** has 100GB's of music? There has to be a point where the harddrive size needs to stop increasing, and more features start getting added to the product. I know a lot of people would rather have built in radio, screen on remote etc...than a 100GB harddrive.

if apple get it's 'home' functionality done on the ipod, well:

45GB of music (will take some time to get all my cd's in iTunes). check.

10GB of software. check.

10GB of iPhoto Libary (i have a camera and use it). check.

40GB of work. check.

suprice: stuffed already

i hate radio. (ever listened to dutch radio? it's really bad)

so i would love that 100GB iPod.

would i buy it?

hell no.
  • Reply 47 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by GabeRiles

you laugh, but it could happen.... a touch screen ipod with a bigger color display.

huh? I was talking about the big HD. Not touch screen iPods. *confused*
  • Reply 48 of 73
    miniPod is credit card in size. Holds 10,000 songs and costs $249 for the largest size. Fact.
  • Reply 49 of 73
    Plus, new iApp. GarageBand. Music creation tool. Included in $99 updated iLife. Fact.
  • Reply 50 of 73
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Dade da dee is that all Elmer Fudd?
  • Reply 51 of 73
    More info streaming in from Moscone sources.
  • Reply 52 of 73
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Keep it coming...as much info as possible....who cares about the most expensive miniPod, the smallest, least expensive is the one we want to know about. Details on GarageBand would be appreciated as well.
  • Reply 53 of 73
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Assuming an iPod-lite is about to be introduced the specs (price and hardware) will have to come from the marketing gremlins at Apple. As some have pointed out, the people who read these postings are far more sophisticated than the typical customer. Apple could come out with a $150 iPod. The specs might be very unappealing to the typical Apple user, however, they might be good enough for those unfamiliar with downloaded music to garner another million or so sales. These folk might feel that $150 is a bearable price for testing the waters of downloaded music. That is another million users buying from iTMS and not buying from Napster and Walmart. That is another million self-selected customers ready to upgrade to the next great thing Apple comes out with in a year or two.

On another topic, I wish that Apple could find a way to partner with a few other vendors to allow music to download to players other than iPods. This would cost Apple money in the short run but would garner mindshare in the long term.
  • Reply 54 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elmer Fudd

miniPod is credit card in size. Holds 10,000 songs and costs $249 for the largest size. Fact.

Yeah, right.
  • Reply 55 of 73
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

you posted this in another thread. so i'll post the same answer.

fiction
  • Reply 56 of 73
    its going to be 199, hd based, with a replaceable battery.
  • Reply 57 of 73
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

...with a replaceable battery.

I think that alone is worth a price increase in most people's eyes. Of course, by lowering the price they will probably see about the same gross income from them, because everyone will wind up buying another battery in 12-18 months anyway.

Here's hoping...
  • Reply 58 of 73
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

More info streaming in from Moscone sources.

Dark and lonely on a summer night

Cill his sources, Cill his sources

The watchdog's barking,

do he bite?

Slip into Moscone, break his neck

Then MacWorld I start to wreck

Got no reason

What the heck?

C-I-L-L his sources
  • Reply 59 of 73
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gcarswell

1. When the original ipod came out, Jobs said Apple looked at the marketplace of MP3 players and decided they could add significant value and differentiate themselves by going with a non-flash based, high quality, large capacity player. This they did, but introducing the type of low cost, flash-based (or small HD based) player that everyone is speculating about goes back directly on their original intention.

What about USB 2.0, VGA, USB? Apple is going to make decisions that positively affect its bottom line. If a flash based player will do it, then Apple will go for it--they better!

I'm assuming that the budget line will be scaled down feature-wise, so all price points will be protected. Maybe the new ones will only play music. That'll put them on the level of the other players.
  • Reply 60 of 73
    I'm saying no way to the miniPods...its definately just a case of wishful thinking on everyone's part...but what do i know, I'm not a scientist