Why the "minipod" is not going to happen:

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Just wanted to say this topic is now funny and wondered how that crow tastes
  • Reply 62 of 73
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Well it was half right - the price is nowhere near mini

That was the whole point wasn't it - no minipods for USD:99.00. And that's exactly what didn't happen.

The only people eating anything are those that didn't understand the price factor... and Apple when they realise that the price point of the minipods just made them this year's Cube.

-- Clive
  • Reply 63 of 73
    sunreinsunrein Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

and Apple when they realise that the price point of the minipods just made them this year's Cube.

Yeah, they definitely won't sell many until Apple lowers the price. The total fanatics with money to burn will buy first. Then they'll have to lower the price at least $50 if they're hoping for any kind of volume.
  • Reply 64 of 73
    And that's probably just fine. After all, early adopters traditionally pay premium prices (look at Dolby Digital home sound systems, projectection TVs, flat screen TVs, and even the VCR). They'll get their sales from the early adopters, and then as their margins improve due to a drop in component prices and economies of scale, then they'll be able to afford to drop it in price and attract everyone else.
  • Reply 65 of 73
    I think they'll sell fine at $249. Current iPods were sold out during the holidays anyway.

If little Timmy wanted an iPod for Christmas and there were no other "regular" iPods left, Santa could just but an iPod mini because it's better than no iPod at all (or a Rio Crapus or a Dell Suckabox or whatever they're called.)
  • Reply 66 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunrein

Yeah, they definitely won't sell many until Apple lowers the price.

Ok, the 15GB iPod seems to be priced attractively (people bought the 10GB version like hot cakes at that same price). So, knowing this, we can use it to decide if anybody will want the new mini's.

We have:

15GB, $299, larger (yes, still small), white only

or

4GB, $249, smaller, pick a color

Now, while I, personally, would still go for the 15GB iPod, I can definitely see many, many, many people trading 11GB for $50 plus getting a smaller version in a color they like.
  • Reply 67 of 73
    ^^^^^

I definitely agree. People forget 4GB is a lot of music. Your battery will probably run out before you can listen to 300 songs.
  • Reply 68 of 73
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Wow, I can't believe how many of you here don't get it. The mini iPod's sole purpose is to take away sales from competitor's to the iPod. Remember the expo? The mini iPod is aimed at the Rio and similar crowd, not the iPod crowd. This is to target those who were GOJNG TO SPEND $250 on the Rio or similar. How is it expensive? It gives you more then it SME PRICED COMPETITOR! That same customer that was going to buy the RIO AT $250 will see the mini iPod and how it OFFERS SO MUCH MORE FOR THE SAME $250! Then, if smart, they notice for another $50, they can get a 15g iPod.

So, not only does Apple take away a sale from it's smaller/flash competition, it may entice those new buyers to drop an extra $50 for the 15g.

The mini is the trojan horse for competition. It's priced EXACTLY where is was intended. Not sure what ignorance compares this to the cube. Side note- this is the iPod I will probably buy, the others were too expensive, too big and had way too much storage for me (the arm band and clip is pretty cool too)
  • Reply 69 of 73
    The armband makes it look like a blood pressure gague/cardiogram, very uncool.
  • Reply 70 of 73
    sunreinsunrein Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

I think they'll sell fine at $249. Current iPods were sold out during the holidays anyway.

If little Timmy wanted an iPod for Christmas and there were no other "regular" iPods left, Santa could just but an iPod mini because it's better than no iPod at all (or a Rio Crapus or a Dell Suckabox or whatever they're called.)

I don't doubt that the value is there, but I just keep remembering the history of other products. Lots of big consumer devices never 'really' took off until they hit the magic price point of $199 (and eventually $99). CD players, DVD players, PlayStation2, XBox, GameCube, etc.
  • Reply 71 of 73
    ^^^

That works with videogames. So far, in the MP3 player market it has been different. The higher-priced iPod has sold better than the cheap sub-$250 MP3 players.

We're still a year or two away from $99 iPods.
  • Reply 72 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elmer Fudd

miniPod is credit card in size. Holds 10,000 songs and costs $249 for the largest size. Fact.

Has nobody else noticed how close Elmer was? Just a zero out. Fact

What else d'ya know buddy?