Minipod Mockup Pic

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    pbg3pbg3 Posts: 211member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Wonderfull ... an iPod that can double as a tampon applicator - that's what I've always wanted!

Good one...idiot
  • Reply 62 of 84
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Maybe they should just go all out 5,10,15,20,30,40GB models, priced from $99
  • Reply 63 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG3

Good one...idiot

Awwwwwww .... don't be that way - I was just funnin' ya.
  • Reply 64 of 84
    I'm sorry...you know I love you *hug*
  • Reply 65 of 84
    This one is perfect:

MiniPod
  • Reply 66 of 84
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    That is ALMOSt perfect, I'd put the menu in the bottom left, play in the bottom right, then the tracking controls in the top left and right.

then it would be pretty darn good.
  • Reply 67 of 84
    wow, tampon applicators, no-screeners, and very abstract talking.

I'm impressed. Now if they could just build a hover craft that only plays MP3's.

-walloo.
  • Reply 68 of 84
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    These people that are designing these mockups are forgetting the "initiate" button that now exists in the center of the scroll wheel.
  • Reply 70 of 84
    I'm back!

I don't know if any of you were around when I existed as MacCube, but it's me again. Here's my first post:

I like some of the ideas bandied about here. Especially those by pscates.

Just a few thoughts of my own:

I think Apple would do well to have removable custom "skins" for the new line-up of iPods (much akin to cellphone customization). Not just for the proposed mini-pod, but for the larger capacity iPods too.

Give us flashy colours like in the ads: yellow, green and pink.

And perhaps a special custom feature where you can design your own skin with a downloadable customization template. This will surely set Apple apart.

Perhaps it would be best to keep the iPod face in white, but make the entire back colourful instead of having that flashy-but-unnecessary chrome that gets scratched up so easily.

As for size and form factor... I really don't know what to expect. Except to expect something radically different from the iPod as we currently know it. Think how they redesigned the VW Beetle or Mini Cooper. Update the look without sacrificing the original concept.

I think capacities would have to fall below 5 GB to become affordable. We'll most likely see sizes between 2 GB and 4 GB drives. And these will all be dockless to keep size down. Unless we see a new mini-iPod the width of the dock connector itself. That would be très cool.

Another much-desired feature I haven't seen anyone here discuss yet is an improved remote control. Let's have one that is back-lit and displays the song and artist info. Kind of like Sony's higher-end Discman remotes.

Oh, and give us a better case than that silly black slip-case they throw in on the 20 and 40 GB models today.

What do you think? What would Apple think?
  • Reply 71 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCube Returns

I think Apple would do well to have removable custom "skins" for the new line-up of iPods (much akin to cellphone customization). Not just for the proposed mini-pod, but for the larger capacity iPods too.

I'm not sure Apple would do the the removable color faceplates. Current iPods are just unopenable. No latches or detachable parts. Who knows, tho.

Quote:

Originally posted by MacCube Returns

Unless we see a new mini-iPod the width of the dock connector itself. That would be très cool.

Another much-desired feature I haven't seen anyone here discuss yet is an improved remote control. Let's have one that is back-lit and displays the song and artist info. Kind of like Sony's higher-end Discman remotes.

Yeah, the remote is due for an update. I stopped using it because it's kinda useless for me. I ended up always wanting to see the screen. Too much cable length too.

My guess is the current dock will still be compatible with the rumored miniPods.
  • Reply 72 of 84
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    That Cornice 2GB mini-drive was just officially announced today. Read the linked PDF press release.

Notice the "embargoed until January 5, 2004" at the top of press release...

Might mean nothing. Or might mean miniPod?

Thought it was interesting, but not worth starting a new thread, so I just tack it on here.

Hope this isn't deemed a dreaded "bump"...

• Reply 73 of 84
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

That Cornice 2GB mini-drive was just officially announced today. Read the linked PDF press release.

Thought it was interesting, but not worth starting a new thread, so I just tack it on here.

Hope this isn't deemed a dreaded "bump"...

Interesting...guess we'll know everything tomorrow bout this time. And fear not, this thing wasn't that far down to be considered a "bumping" post.
  • Reply 74 of 84
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

yeah, the "embargoed" is interesting...along with a price of 70 bucks in orders of 100,000....apple could make a $149 priced miniPod with a 70 buck harddrive...

time will tell....apple could easy sell 100,000 plus of these a year (likely 10 times that)

g
  • Reply 75 of 84
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    If it was going into an iPod shouldn't it be embargoed until January 6th? I think this has something to do with what's going to come out at Comdex and not an iPod.
  • Reply 76 of 84
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Then perhaps Cornice is - unintentionally, of course - this year's workerbee/Time Canada/Apple web trainee (aka Steve's Keynote Surprise Spoiler)?

Think there's a chance Steve is on the phone to the top dog at Cornice, as we speak?

"January SIXTH, assbag. Not FIFTH...SIXTH!!! Why don't you write this shit down to begin with and not $#!@ up my gig in the morning? Thanks a ton, mope. We'll be in touch..."
  • Reply 77 of 84
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

I like the sound of what you guys are saying generally, just thought I would add my own thoughts. Firstly, no need for a remote at all with a miniPod (please don't let that be the real name!). If the item is going to be smaller than an iPod then it is only going to be marginally larger than a remote and so a remote would be entirely pointless.

Just create a small unit that can stored anywhere. Have a screen and buttons on the unit and bingo, everyone is happy.

After all this hype I hope Apple makes one. There is a huge market for people like me who love music but are students. I have 10gb of music and so would outgrow the 10gb iPod immediately, but the 20gb model retails at £299 here in the UK, far too much money for students. I could compromise however and just take a small portion of my music around every day. 512Mb would do me easily for a day and would suit people like me who don't need to carry there whole music collection around everyday. I see the 5 or 10gig models as pointless - too big for loading music onto every few days, and too small to hold a whole collection. Something between 256Mb and 2Gb would be ideal however.

Reckon it will be white, in keeping with Apple's iBooks etc, as it is aimed at a similar market. Other than that I can't say, but I will say that there is no MP3 player on the market in my price range which meets my criteria (I need a screen, at least 256MB, equaliser and preferably rechargeable battery). I get paid on Thursday however so lets hope I have something to spend my money on... \
  • Reply 78 of 84
    MacOSRumors claims a confirmation of $99 iPods at http://www.ipod-zone.com , but I can't get the page to load.
  • Reply 79 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

I like the sound of what you guys are saying generally, just thought I would add my own thoughts. Firstly, no need for a remote at all with a miniPod (please don't let that be the real name!). If the item is going to be smaller than an iPod then it is only going to be marginally larger than a remote and so a remote would be entirely pointless.

What I meant was that the current iPods need a better remote, like my remote that came with the Sony Discman I got five years ago.

Even if they made a new remote, I think they should allow it to be bought separately and used with the so-called MiniPods too.

Okay, so you don't like the word MiniPod.

How about iPodlet?

Escape Pod For Two?

Any other suggestions?

MacCube
  • Reply 80 of 84
    MiniPod rocks.

And the remote is just fine the way it is.