'Garage Band' - Confirmed! (officially, now)

Comments

• Reply 81 of 245
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Ever hear of Amplitube Live? Works the same way, and it's absolutely phenomenal. Apple demoed it at the last MacWorld, and now apparently stole it for this one.
  • Reply 82 of 245
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    OH MY ****ING DOG.
  • Reply 83 of 245
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Of course, I'm a bassist, not a guitarist, but I'm sure it would still work fine, though some effects might end up sounding a little wonky.

oh well, I got my BNX3 for that
  • Reply 84 of 245
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    What kind of device / cable do you have to use though, to hook in say a guitar to your Mac? Certainly it can't take the standard amp plug, so there has to be an intermediary device / special cord to buy.
  • Reply 85 of 245
    noleli2noleli2 Posts: 129member
    Looks very cool, but I wonder how sophisticated the mixing/editing features are. I'm not into MIDI stuff that much (yet!), but I do do quite a bit of multitrack mixing and editing. I hope this is the product that will let me stop having to boot into OS9 to use ProTools Free (MBox = $).
  • Reply 86 of 245
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

What kind of device / cable do you have to use though, to hook in say a guitar to your Mac? Certainly it can't take the standard amp plug, so there has to be an intermediary device / special cord to buy.

1/4" 'phono' jack to 1/8" miniplug adapter, I'd think.
  • Reply 87 of 245
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Interesting. So it just automatically adjusts the samples so they go together. And that works with all their sound samples, not just the MIDI ones? They must have some metadata with them that indicates key and tempo.

I'd be interested to know if you can put down a set of chord changes rather than just staying on a C chord or whatever for the whole song. That seems to me to be essential, otherwise you'd almost have to just stick with drum tracks.

BRussell,

I don't know how to put it simply except to relate it something else. Once a long time ago, typesetting was a gigantic pain in the ass. Changing size, reflowing text, especially things like font kerning.

Think about how easy all those have become now. There really isn't thought behind it now.

Expensive samplers managed to do this sort of thing a while ago, but now Garage Band makes this all software based for cheaper than hell.

You can laydown do chord changes and it will totally adjust the pitch and speed, etc much like how you change fonts, styles, etc. It is an astonishing application that makes affordable technology that would have been thousands when I was in college. I'm talking $10,000 down to $10.

Nick
  • Reply 88 of 245
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    trumptman - I just didn't see Steve change chords, nor did I see anything about it on their web site, nor on the Soundtrack web site. It has me a little worried, especially because it says "adjusts automatically." I noticed that the samples have different keys - on the web site some are in C and some in D. OK, so if you already put in a bass sample in C, and you drop a D piano sample in there, it will change the piano to C automatically. But what if after 4 measures you want to go to F? F7? F minor? And that doesn't even get into the 7#9#5 chords.

I know it's "GarageBand" not "ProfessionalBand." But even garage bands change chords every so often, and sometimes use chords other than major and minor. And I suppose you could just use your MIDI keyboard for the more interesting stuff, but then can you sample and loop those?

Eh, I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

But I'd love to be able to put in the drum and bass changes to "Giant Steps" and practice improvisation over it while it loops for 18 hours. It would put Jamey Aebersold out of business. And the looping seems almost worthless if you can't do that.
  • Reply 89 of 245
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    I recently bought Soundtrack, and I plan to buy the iLife upgrade anyway...BUT, I'm not sure how these 2 differ???

any thoughts.

Soundtrack has loops, can be used to record/mix etc. and includes effects...
  • Reply 90 of 245
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    The GarageBand Accessories page has a bunch of products Apple is offering as, well, accessories. These include a 1/4" to 1/8" stereo converter from Monster and a number of single- and multi-channel USB solutions for audio and MIDI I/O. (Then you could use an iBook).

I didn't see anything that said specifically that GarageBand could handle recording multiple tracks simultaneously, but if they're offering peripherals that give you 6-channel audio in you'd think that it could...
  • Reply 91 of 245
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I see that Soundtrack is now part of Final Cut Express.

Makes the standalone app look a tad pricey.
  • Reply 92 of 245
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

I see that Soundtrack is now part of Final Cut Express.

Makes the standalone app look a tad pricey.

Soundtrack is not included with Final Cut Express, but several features of FCE are geared toward it.
  • Reply 93 of 245
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

trumptman - I just didn't see Steve change chords, nor did I see anything about it on their web site, nor on the Soundtrack web site. It has me a little worried, especially because it says "adjusts automatically." I noticed that the samples have different keys - on the web site some are in C and some in D. OK, so if you already put in a bass sample in C, and you drop a D piano sample in there, it will change the piano to C automatically. But what if after 4 measures you want to go to F? F7? F minor? And that doesn't even get into the 7#9#5 chords.

I know it's "GarageBand" not "ProfessionalBand." But even garage bands change chords every so often, and sometimes use chords other than major and minor. And I suppose you could just use your MIDI keyboard for the more interesting stuff, but then can you sample and loop those?

Eh, I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

But I'd love to be able to put in the drum and bass changes to "Giant Steps" and practice improvisation over it while it loops for 18 hours. It would put Jamey Aebersold out of business. And the looping seems almost worthless if you can't do that.

On the GarageBand page on the top of the picture it has a caption that says snap, stretch and transpose automatically.

As for ol' Jamey, his stuff was too expensive anyway. Now maybe the prices would get reasonable.

It also mentions this on the loops page.

Quote:

Apple Loops are prerecorded performances ready to play second fiddle anytime you need them. Add drum beats and rhythm parts to your songs. As you add loops to your composition, GarageBand takes care of keeping all of the session players on the same musical page, automatically matching the tempo and key of the loops to the song?s tempo and key. You can extend the mix indefinitely, since most Apple Loops are designed to repeat over and over and over. (There?s a reason they?re called loops.)

It does look a bit cloudy, but Steve did say they could adjust their tempo and pitch during the keynote.

Nick
  • Reply 94 of 245
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I reread the FCE page. You are right Eugene.

We couldn't get that good of a value.
  • Reply 95 of 245
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Of course, I'm a bassist, not a guitarist, but I'm sure it would still work fine, though some effects might end up sounding a little wonky.

oh well, I got my BNX3 for that

Hey, I'm a bassist too! What kind of music do you play?

I can't wait to get my hands on GarageBand and try it out!

I have the Korg Pandora PX4B for effects, what's the BNX3? I'm thinking about getting the SansAmp for more pre- flexibility, have you tried one at all?
  • Reply 96 of 245
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Garageband.com vs. GarageBand:

Quote:

( BW)(CA-GARAGEBAND.COM)

Apple Computer Inc and Garageband.com Agree to Share Name; Apple Pays Garageband.com for Limited Rights to ``GarageBand'' Trademark

____SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 7, 2004--Garageband.com, the internet's largest legal source of free MP3 music, and Apple Computer have signed an agreement to share the name "GarageBand." The deal was signed in April 2003 but kept confidential by both parties until now.

____Apple Computer (Nasdaq:AAPL) has paid Garageband.com a one-time fee in order to use the name "GarageBand" for its music-creation software, part of the Apple iLife suite launched this week. Garageband.com ( http://www.garageband.com ) will otherwise retain its original rights to use the name for a vast range of products and services.

____"We have tremendous respect for Apple's vision and leadership in the digital music space," said Ali Partovi, CEO of Garageband.com. "We've always shared their goal of empowering musicians, and today we're excited to share with them our name. Now, any musician can create music on Apple's state-of-the-art GarageBand software and promote their recordings on Garageband.com's award-winning web services."

____At http://www.Garageband.com, ordinary listeners determine which songs make it to the top, and over 200,000 independent musicians compete for radio airplay (and coming soon, digital distribution on download services like Apple's iTunes music store).

____About Garageband.com

____Garageband.com is the world's largest musician community and home to the definitive charts of independent music. Since 1999, thirteen of Garageband.com's highest-ranking bands have been signed by major labels, one has gone double platinum, and many more have scored licensing or publishing deals.

____Garageband.com uses collaborative filtering to let ordinary people identify the best songs. This process provides unbiased feedback to musicians and well-organized charts of free music for consumers.

____Recognized by TIME Magazine as one of 2003's "50 Best Websites," Garageband.com's mission is to empower musicians and discover the best independent music. The company's long-term vision is to redefine how music is discovered and promoted.

____More info: http://www.garageband.com

• Reply 97 of 245
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Garageband.com vs. GarageBand:

Wow, I just signed up for garageband.com, it amazing. Unlimited MP3 downloads in genres that are severely lacking on the iTMS. Thanks for the link.
  • Reply 98 of 245
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Is there a list anywhere on Apple's site of all the instruments GB has ?

I'm hoping there is an Oud (middle eastern lute) or some similar instrument - anyone know about this ?

I doubt. But there is an additional App called "Jam Pack" which adds additional instruments, sounds so it may possibly be included there.

Neither site seems to have specifics however.

http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nMore=M9428Z/A
  • Reply 99 of 245
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    So, is automation considered "pro" or is it there and I'm not seeing it?
  • Reply 100 of 245
    I don't think you guys really understand how big of a deal GarageBand is (and I mean to paid musicians whom already own pro audio software). I produce downtempo electro-acoustic psychedelic (bassy breaks stuff) tracks for a local label with Reason, Ableton Live and Logic, but none are as sweet (or should I say organic) looking as GarageBand for recording and editing tracks (Reason actually looks quite good for a synth/sampler/effects rack : yet visually lacks when one is editing within the track mode). Why should I even mention to you how good looking GarageBand is? Why you say? Simple. If it excites me to work with a good looking peice of software - which I admit - it does very much (appealing to my eye - with incredible ease of use and superior workflow), it will inevitably inspire my work. And if it inspires my work, in any sort of creative way, I would gladly pay far more than the small price of $49 for it! Now granted, it does not do all the things that Live, Reason or Logic does, but by the looks of it.... I think it will do what it does better than anything else I've seen. GarageBand should be able to listen to (and record in stereo, I believe) a firewire enabled piece of hardware (like Yamaha's brand new o1x) with the knobs controlling any enabled AudioUnit plugins (in real-time of course). Will the AudioUnit capability within GarageBand allow me to use mastering plugins (not to mention 5.1 mixing)? How many AudioUnit plugins can run in real time while simply monitoring (or recording) my 12 String & vocals? Can you pre-record midi to the AudioUnit plugin effects while monitoring guitar or vocals while jamming to a pre-recorded piece (to provide dub-like capabilities)? Will GarageBand listen to more than one midi device at any given time (keyboards, mixer & envelope pedals)?

Obviously I?m not sure on some of these paticular details, but I?ll find out soon enough. I must remind myself this is Apple?s first release of this product, and updates will inevitably follow!

The fact it will seemlessly integrate with Soundtrack (when scoring within FCP 4), plays and records at 24bit 96khz (I think ? haven?t found the pdf on it yet ? Soundtrack does - so GarageBand should), uses AudioUnits, comes with a large amount of high quality (better than CD quality) samples (some of the best I?ve ever heard by the way) and comes with 100 software instruments? well? it?s a steal (to say the least) at $49. Comparable software goes for hundreds of dollars more (not to mention the fact you get to upgrade your iDVD/ iMovie/ iPhoto as well). Not to mention the interface of those other apps are half as clean (re: slick) as GarageBand. Just check out the detailed ?wood? side panels on the main mixer window. Don?t you think it adds a warm touch? I like details like that. Thank you Apple!

I?ll be buying it? I?ll also be upgrading to the ?Jampack? available for it as well.

GarageBand is the start of something incredible, for professional and amateur musicians alike?

End of story.