'Garage Band' - Confirmed! (officially, now)

Comments

• Reply 121 of 245
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I'm getting mine next week, BRussell. Please come here and talk all about it when you receive yours please. I have about 3 or 4 questions and you'd make a nice guinea pig...

These keyboards, the USB one that costs $99, simply plugs DIRECTLY into the Mac, right? Right into my PowerBook's USB port?

As far as recording vocals and acoustic guitar, I'm guessing I'd need some sort of hardware to bridge that gap between the mic (I have an audiotechnica something-or-other from way back when I used to play for money) and the Mac?

Something like this?

Also, when referring to these controller keyboards, what, exactly, does "velocity-sensitive" mean or refer to?

I can't wait to get my hands on this app!!!
  • Reply 122 of 245
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I was looking at that m-audio midi box as well pscates. I think I may get one, but I don't need it immediately.

I'm getting it iLife , and the GarageBand extras package at my local Apple store on the 16th. I'm not going to wait, or pay for shipping when I live 4 - 5 miles from an Apple retail outlet.
  • Reply 123 of 245
    Same here. A quick 90 trip to Atlanta is totally cool with me (lunch, shopping, visit some guitar stores, etc.). I'll hold off on that box and I intend to buy iLife 04 (or course) AND those JBL Creature speakers, which I've been wanting for a while (my friend has them with her iBook...REALLY nice). And they've dropped to $99, so...

So that's $148 I'll drop. I MIGHT (probably will) pick up that keyboard as well. Steve said they'll be available in the retail stores as well.

So, $250 to get me started. If I really just blow my mind and realize this is indeed all I'm hoping it is, I'll ask for the Jam Pack for my birthday (late January).

I play keyboards just enough to be good (know the notes, chords, can basically fumble through any song and do a passable Jerry Lee Lewis boogie/bash...even though I tend to approach it all from a guitarist's point of view, I can hold my own), so I could dial up a bitchin' acoustic bass sound and lay it over some bongos and then add a "99 Tears" organ and then lay on some banjo and then sprinkle a bit of tuba on for good measure and...

This is so wonderful. This will pull me back into music again, I feel. I really, really needed this. You have no idea...

Kinda bummed I sold my Danelectro...
  • Reply 124 of 245
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I'm getting mine next week, BRussell. Please come here and talk all about it when you receive yours please. I have about 3 or 4 questions and you'd make a nice guinea pig...

These keyboards, the USB one that costs $99, simply plugs DIRECTLY into the Mac, right? Right into my PowerBook's USB port?

As far as recording vocals and acoustic guitar, I'm guessing I'd need some sort of hardware to bridge that gap between the mic (I have an audiotechnica something-or-other from way back when I used to play for money) and the Mac?

Something like this?

Also, when referring to these controller keyboards, what, exactly, does "velocity-sensitive" mean or refer to?

USB midi keyboards plug directly into your mac via USB, then operate as triggers for midi samples and events.

Velocity sensitive means that if you press the keyboard softly the note will play softly, if you hammer on the keyboard, the note will play at max volume.

The USB mobile Pre is an EXCELLENT choice for the hobbyist, or first time home recorder. It's also pretty perfect for a general use bridge, and is an overall kick ass product, and the price isn't bad either.

Another option, since you are considering getting the USB mobile pre, is to get a midi keyboard, that doesn't have USB, they are generally $40-50 cheaper, and provide the same results, you would just have to plug the keyboard into the USB mobile pre then plug that into the USB port on your computer.

the only thing that might be an issue then is if you end up using the keyboard, and a mic and maybe even a guitar(friend) all at once, you might get some latency issues, but for one track at a time stuff, you'll be fine.

wow, I'm really impressed with the effect this application is having on people, everyone is coming out of the woodworks starry eyed and ready to have a lot of fun making music that's so cool!
  • Reply 125 of 245
    Wrong Robot, does that $99 keyboard also act as a true, standalone keyboard instrument too, right? It's not just a "push here to trigger this action" device. I can actually PLAY it, right, as Mayer was yesterday (not the same keyboard, of course).

This is a decent 49-key, "let me play a bass line or string section passage" product, right? Chords, both hands, etc.

I'm so ignorant about this whole arena (digital music).

As for the "velocity-sensitive", I thought that was what it meant. I'd just always heard "touch sensitive" or whatnot.

Yeah, I figure within a few months or so, there will need to be a separate music-dedicated forum here at AI, where everyone can post links to their latest masterpiece.

This is REALLY going to create waves and kick-start some long dormant musical passion and interest (namely mine).

Oh, and as a postscript to a post of mine from over the weekend where I snidely stated that Microsoft, Dell and others look to Apple for "what's next" or things to copy, mark this one down, fellas: keep an eye out for a "make your own studio!" app from Microsoft or whoever in the very near feature (by autumn 2004).

You know it, I know it, they know. All these companies never know quite what to do until Steve says so (digital music, "digital hub", mp3 players integrated with store/jukebox software, consumer digital video, etc.)

Microsoft DigiStudio?, coming October 2004...

• Reply 126 of 245
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Yea only MS DigiStudio would be so crappy that you couldn't save to a non-wma file unless you spring for an additional encoder.
  • Reply 127 of 245
    On it's own, the keyboard is lifeless, it gets it's power from the computer, sounds et al.

There ARE keyboards with extensive sound libraries built in AND midi capabilities, that you can plug in to a computer and use as a controller, or play it without a computer, but they cost $$$ to get one that is any good that is

the beauty part about software triggering is that it's infinitely more expandable and update-able, sampling software will improve, sounds will get more and more life like, and your keyboard will still work just fine.

remember, MIDI is a VERY old technology, dating back about 30 years, keyboards and triggers from back then STILL work just as fine today as they did in then.

The $99, 49 key M-audio keyboard apple is selling is a GREAT keyboard, I find that about 80% of the time when I am making music with midi(reason) the 49 key, keyboard I use is just fine. Some people like to have weighted keys, some people like o have 61 or even full sized 88 key keyboards. and that's fine, but for what I do, I rarely need to be playing out of the 4 octave range the 49 key provides.

That said, 2 octave keyboards like the Ozone8 or the oxygen8, I CANNOT work with, I am always limited with those, because the music I creat requires more than just one button at a time, I do chords and stuff, so that just doesn't work well for me.

but for general use 49 keys is just fine.

Remeber, you're a powerbook user, you don't want to bog down your portable music product capabilities with a 61 key keyboard.

which is another thing entirely, USB keyboards are great because they are far more portable than midi keyboards using USB midi hubs, so that's a big advantage.

I too am VERY excited about garageband, I'm going to the berklee school of music in a week, it will be a great compliment to reason, finale, and whatever else I'll be using.

if anything, garageband will definitely help to keep music making FUN, which is what it should be, programs that are a chore to use, undermine a big part about what makes music so great, imo

• Reply 128 of 245
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Looking forward to it.

Quote:

Yeah, that's really nice. I had to get one of those Edirol MIDI-USB adaptors for another $50 for my keyboard. I noticed Apple is selling those now too.

Quote:

Something like this?

I'm not sure under what conditions you need that stuff. An electric guitar will plug right into the Mac, without any extras (except a 1/4" to miniplug cable). Well, that's assuming you have audio line-in on your machine. I'm not sure about a mic. It seems like you could just plug a mic into the line-in, too. But I don't know if that's the same thing as with the guitar. And I know you can plug a mic into your mac and make beep sounds and record into SoundStudio and the like, so it seems like it would work. WrongRobot?
    Quote:

Yeah, remember when that guitarist was playing guitar sounds through the piano? When he hit the key a little harder, it gave that slide sound like he was sliding up from a lower fret. Pretty cool. On my keyboard, on many of the wind instruments if you hit a little harder it will go slightly flat, like you're really blowin'.
  • Reply 129 of 245
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

As for the "velocity-sensitive", I thought that was what it meant. I'd just always heard "touch sensitive" or whatnot.

It just means that the keyboard is aware of the velocity/speed with which you hit the keys and will adjust the sound (depending upon the instrument) appropriately.
  • Reply 130 of 245
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I'm not sure under what conditions you need that stuff. An electric guitar will plug right into the Mac, without any extras (except a 1/4" to miniplug cable). Well, that's assuming you have audio line-in on your machine. I'm not sure about a mic. It seems like you could just plug a mic into the line-in, too. But I don't know if that's the same thing as with the guitar. And I know you can plug a mic into your mac and make beep sounds and record into SoundStudio and the like, so it seems like it would work. WrongRobot?

you can plug your instrument directly into your computer via a 1/4-1/8" adaptor just don't expect to get a very clear sound.

My bass has active electronics, meaning that an 9v battery powers a preamp inside my bass, as such, if I plug into something unamplified, I am able to a achieve a SLIGHT signal, but it's generally VERY weak.

an outboard I/O like the USB mobile pre is a good solution because it AMPLIFIES the signal, and gives you not only a lot more control over your sound, but it makes it a lot easier to capture audio.

Currently I use my Mixer, which is a Dj mixer for turntables, it's a POS, but it amplifies a signal, it's really makeshift, but it works, then I use sound studio to capture the audio.

it's a very inelegant solution, and I have little control over it.

I am still trying to figure out the best way to use my amp head's line out, I think I just need a new cable(my current spare is crappy)

I have recently been using my iSight to record video performances of songs I'm working on, to show to the good folks at talkbass.com (my home on the internet) I have found that the audio quality is generally really good, it isn't GREAT, but it gets the job done.

www.whmoh.com/stuff/Fantasy.avi

There's an example, (22MB .avi) of the audio, the video quality suffered because I made it .avi for the mostly windows using audience at TB, but the audio is still audible, and it doesn't sound that bad either, the song is "chromatic fantasy" by bach, as played by jaco, and yes, I **** up a lot, but give me a break that song is a BEAST

I digress.

From what I understand(from earlier in the thread) Garageband provides software amplification, a concept that while theoretically sound, is VERY new to me, so I don't really know anything about it, if that's the case, then WITH GARAGEBAND, you will be able to simply plug your guitar(or bass ) directly into your computer with a 1/4- 1/8" adaptor and enjoy full, amplified sound.
  • Reply 131 of 245
    Yeah, I think it was Jaguar that got Core Audio, which allowed products like Amplitube Live to have zero latency in a software amp. But I don't know if the same thing applies to mics. At the least, if you wanted more than just one thing at a time, or if you don't have a line-in, that USB audio thingy looks like a good idea.
  • Reply 132 of 245
    I owned a Line6 Pod and that thing was AMAZING. Probably get one again, now that I'll be returning to the fold.

That thing comes with tons of amp models and sounds great.
  • Reply 133 of 245
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Something like this?

USB interfaces will work, but you might want to look at a firewire interface like M-Audio FireWire 410 or Metric Halo's Mobile I/O 2882 or ULN-2.

They are the ones I've been thinking about getting for my powerbook based DAW. I'm leaning toward the ULN-2 because of the great pre-amps, but then I think I might need more then two inputs, so I'm still really undecided.
  • Reply 134 of 245
    I was at the Expo yesterday and had a quick run with the program. Its going to be soo much fun.

I play guitar and was under the impression that I would need something like the mobil bus-powered pre-amp to get the guitar in. Didn't realize it may also work with just the cable adapter. The sales rep from guitar center also said they make firewire preamps (for about double the cost) and that they have a higher bit-rate. Does anybody know what the sound quality is between these three options (monster cable adapter, usb pre-amp, firewire pre-amp)? Then again the biggest sound quality issue probably comes from my playing.

Any idea if effects (reverb etc) can be added to recordings. The Apple guy standing by my iMac at the Expo was bit clueless. I could bend the pitch and change the length of the notes, but couldn't find much else i could do. There was a drop-down menu for velocity and a few other things, but it ddidn'w effect the notes playing in throught the m-audio keyboard.
  • Reply 135 of 245
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

Does anybody know what the sound quality is between these three options (monster cable adapter, usb pre-amp, firewire pre-amp)?

I think you'll be impressed with what it can do if you just plug it into the mac. The only reason I say that is because I have a copy of that Amplitube Live, and it's fantastic, and I'm guessing GB will work in roughly the same fashion.

Quote:

Any idea if effects (reverb etc) can be added to recordings. The Apple guy standing by my iMac at the Expo was bit clueless. I could bend the pitch and change the length of the notes, but couldn't find much else i could do. There was a drop-down menu for velocity and a few other things, but it ddidn'w effect the notes playing in throught the m-audio keyboard.

Here's a pic with some of the stuff you can do.

Here's a line from right next to that picture that really surprised me:

Quote:

Would you like the melody to come in a little earlier? Done in an instant. You can also decrease the track?s volume, have it fade in or out, turn it into a repeating loop, even fix individual notes or the timing of a performance.

Is it me, or are they saying you can actually edit MIDI? That would be fantastic (although somehow I don't really believe it).
  • Reply 136 of 245
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

USB interfaces will work, but you might want to look at a firewire interface like M-Audio FireWire 410 or Metric Halo's Mobile I/O 2882 or ULN-2.

They are the ones I've been thinking about getting for my powerbook based DAW. I'm leaning toward the ULN-2 because of the great pre-amps, but then I think I might need more then two inputs, so I'm still really undecided.

I HIGHLY doubt Paul will need that kind of firepower.

though, I'll take one thank you very much
  • Reply 137 of 245
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Here's a line from right next to that picture that really surprised me:

Is it me, or are they saying you can actually edit MIDI? That would be fantastic (although somehow I don't really believe it).

If by editing midi you mean editing the sound waves created, that's not possible in the confines a midi program, but it is easy to export any midi recording as audio(.aif) which can then be edited in a wave editor like soundstudio.

as far as editing note placement, length, timing...etc all this is VERY possible with MIDI, in fact that's what it was designed for, pretty much.

Midi events are just trigger data, all it does is tell the software, do X, for Y length, at Z velocity with T modulation, R attack, E decay...etc...etc.

and as such, it is very easy to edit those values and change the way things are laid out.

So I'm a little bit confused by what you mean.
  • Reply 138 of 245
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

I HIGHLY doubt Paul will need that kind of firepower.

though, I'll take one thank you very much

Hey, what's THAT mean?!? I'm a player!

22 years, my man.

But yeah, being new to this aspect of it (digital music and all), I guess I don't need any excessive (and expensive) "firepower" at this point.

• Reply 139 of 245
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

If by editing midi you mean editing the sound waves created, that's not possible in the confines a midi program, but it is easy to export any midi recording as audio(.aif) which can then be edited in a wave editor like soundstudio.

as far as editing note placement, length, timing...etc all this is VERY possible with MIDI, in fact that's what it was designed for, pretty much.

Midi events are just trigger data, all it does is tell the software, do X, for Y length, at Z velocity with T modulation, R attack, E decay...etc...etc.

and as such, it is very easy to edit those values and change the way things are laid out.

So I'm a little bit confused by what you mean.

No, you got it, I'm talking about editing the MIDI parameters. Right now I use Intuem (version 1). I just didn't think an app like this would do that. So now I'm wondering what kind of editing features it has. Ah, something else to worry about for the next week.

• Reply 140 of 245
    jahyjahy Posts: 54member
    Yeah, BRussel. I thought Garage Band would be midi-ily challenged and not be able to work with the actual midi. I think it would also be cute to be able to print out the sheet music of what you played and have the score be all pretty.