'Garage Band' - Confirmed! (officially, now)

Comments

• Reply 101 of 245
    By the way, the difference between Soundtrack (which I've used) and Garageband is GarageBand will listen to (and record) midi signals, and has more editing features (along with virtual/software instruments). It will work seemlessly with Soundtrack when one is working with a FCP4 project. You would first do your composing within GarageBand (you could even use your Soundtrack loops if you wanted - 1000's are available with FCP4), then you would import your entire composition into Soundtrack - for final sequencing within the project that you're working on inside FCP4! GarageBand is far more powerful for creating original compositions than Soundtrack, but you will use Soundtrack within FCP4 to sync it up to your video timeline. Apple has hit another home run!
  • Reply 102 of 245
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Neutrix, do you know the answer to my question about whether you'll be able to make chord changes with the loop samples?
  • Reply 103 of 245
    pbg3pbg3 Posts: 211member
    Does anyone think there's a chance that it could be hacked/patched to work with my 500Mhz G3 iMac? I really want this software, but I'm not about to shell out $2000 for a new mac just to use it.
  • Reply 104 of 245
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG3

Does anyone think there's a chance that it could be hacked/patched to work with my 500Mhz G3 iMac? I really want this software, but I'm not about to shell out $2000 for a new mac just to use it.

What's holding you back? no DVD drive?

as long as you can install it, in theory, it should work, though it may work very slow. It won't say "you have 256 RAM! we asked for 384!!!" and then not let you use the software, heck, I was able to run Warcraft 3 on my iMac g3 500mhz. and that thing was way below all the system requirements.

if you don't have a DVD drive you will be in trouble I think because the install disc(and all the samples) are likely on 1 DVD disc. perhaps you could get an external DVD burner from a friend and use it as a DVD drive? I don't know if that'd work.
  • Reply 105 of 245
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Neutrix, do you know the answer to my question about whether you'll be able to make chord changes with the loop samples?

The sample pic on Apple's site says you can transpose (change the key of) loops. Now, I haven't done any detailed digging, but if worst came to worst you could use 1 track for each chord, and transpose the loop to the desired chord on each track, then mix appropriately. After all, you have 64 tracks to work with.
  • Reply 106 of 245
    trust me you can make chord changes with the loops. I have used Soundtrack and have split loops into 3 sections and changed the chord/pitch of each individual section. I'm sure GB will work just the same.

order it, learn it, love it.... Randy

Here is a little ditty my 11 yr old son did, with a bit of help from dad. we did this in about 15 minutes, and he has done about 20 songs since this one.....(they all sound the same, shhhh)

Nick/Dad Soundtrack tune 1.3mb .m4a
  • Reply 107 of 245
    Cool. So you must be able to independently change the pitch and tempo of these samples, even the non-MIDI ones? That's a nice trick.
  • Reply 108 of 245
    Quote:

Cool. So you must be able to independently change the pitch and tempo of these samples, even the non-MIDI ones? That's a nice trick.

yes you can split the sounds/lops anywhere you want and change the pitch to every note if you can stand to take that much time. but it's fun, my son likes it and I am gonna like GB too.

right now It's a hassle for me to do stuff in soundtrck and then restart into jaguar so I can use my digi001/protools setup to input live music.

BTW, digi001 with protools is goin up for sale if anyone is interested, it works great but not in Panther only 9 or Jaguar
  • Reply 109 of 245
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

What's holding you back? no DVD drive?

as long as you can install it, in theory, it should work, though it may work very slow. It won't say "you have 256 RAM! we asked for 384!!!" and then not let you use the software, heck, I was able to run Warcraft 3 on my iMac g3 500mhz. and that thing was way below all the system requirements.

if you don't have a DVD drive you will be in trouble I think because the install disc(and all the samples) are likely on 1 DVD disc. perhaps you could get an external DVD burner from a friend and use it as a DVD drive? I don't know if that'd work.

This is what it says on Apple's site:

System Requirements

* Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor

-600MHz G3 or faster required for GarageBand; G4 or G5 required for GarageBand software instruments

* 256MB of physical RAM

I have 360-something ram, so that's fine, but I only have a 500mhz G3 and it says, "600MHz G3 or faster required for GarageBand; G4 or G5 required for GarageBand software instruments"

That's the problem
  • Reply 110 of 245
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Yeah, but chances are it will still RUN, though it probably won't too well, it's worth a shot I think.
  • Reply 111 of 245
    I'll try it out, when I tried to install FCP4 a few months ago it said "Final Cut Pro 4 requires a G4 Processor - (CANCEL)"

Then I wept
  • Reply 112 of 245
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sport73

I recently bought Soundtrack, and I plan to buy the iLife upgrade anyway...BUT, I'm not sure how these 2 differ???

any thoughts.

Soundtrack has loops, can be used to record/mix etc. and includes effects...

I knew Soundtrack was going to be a misleading application. I'm starting to think that is why GarageBand is here. If you thought, or think Soundtrack is going to be something similar to the GarageBand demo from the keynote your way off. SoundTrack is not a very good content creation application for anything other than scoring, or otherwise adding some backing sound to your iMovie, or FCP projects.

I tried to use it to make a song for a friend of mine, and quickly realized that I would be needing Logic to complete it. Now that GarageBand is here I should be able to finish a few other more complexed projects I was starting at that time.

I took Soundtrack to just about it's limits trying to make something that it was not intended to do.

If you want to hear a quickie somewhat heavy Techno-ish song made from Soundtrack It's on my iDisc with a JPEG of a EQ setting. Use the EQ setting in iTunes.

I'll let you know right now. I was not all that happy with the results, and the mixing features, or lack there of.
  • Reply 113 of 245
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Man. Now I'm thinking of ditching my old Mackie 1202 mixer for one of those M-Audio MobilePre USB preamps. I just wonder how the thing sounds using only software preamplification as opposed to some kind of outboard preamp.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 114 of 245
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Man. Now I'm thinking of ditching my old Mackie 1202 mixer for one of those M-Audio MobilePre USB preamps. I just wonder how the thing sounds using only software preamplification as opposed to some kind of outboard preamp.

Cheers

Scott

From M-Audio's online product documentation :

Quote:

2 microphone inputs (XLR balanced) with 48v phantom power
    stereo microphone input (1/8?)
    2 high-impedance instrument/line inputs (1/4? balanced)

This device contains preamps. GB only does amp modeling, you still need to provide a pre-.

[edit] After digging around Apple's pages I can't find anything that says a preamp is required. In fact, they sell a Monster 1/4 to 1/8 and say that's the only hardware required to connect an instrument (bass in my case) to a Mac.
  • Reply 115 of 245
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

From M-Audio's online product documentation :

This device contains preamps. GB only does amp modeling, you still need to provide a pre-.

Hrm. If that's true, then the PR for the app is misleading:

"Rock on. Connect your electric guitar directly to your Mac by using this high-performance mono 1/4-inch phono to stereo 1/8-inch mini phonocable."

I guess I'll find out what's what next week.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 116 of 245
    midwinter,

I added a link to my original post. The M-Audio does contain a pre (a good thing) but it looks like GB doesn't need a pre to record music.
  • Reply 117 of 245
    Hrm. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of that pre-amp. My main acoustic guitar has both a mic and a piezoelectric pickup in it, and each have their own jacks. Normally, I have to drag out a couple of 31-band EQs and my Mackie to get a single guitar signal into the computer. Hrm... surely this thing won't allow me to keep the two signals unmixed, would it? I suppose, in addition, that it's too much to ask that GB be able to record multiple input signals.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 118 of 245
    Quote:

I believe you can in fact make chord changes, as you can within Soundtrack, and GarageBand is built with similiar coding (as I believe Steve mentioned very briefly during the live demo). I hope that answers your question, and again, I think people are underestimating the ease of use appeal and the actual raw power of this application. In other words, being so easy to use helps make it so creatively dangerous! It will sell Macs of all different sorts to any parent wanting his or her child to experiment with making their own music! For the professional, it's a complete package for wanting to make a quick score, in which he can export to Soundtrack, and then place in sequence within FCP4!

I love it!
  • Reply 119 of 245
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NeutrixX

I believe you can in fact make chord changes, as you can within Soundtrack,

What cord changes in Soundtrack? I never read the instructions, but I couldn't get chords to change, or volume down portions of loops during a clip. You should be able to key-frame that stuff, and adjust at point's, but I don't think you can.
  • Reply 120 of 245
    All I know is that during Jobs' demo, whenever they were using loops, there were no chord changes. Neither during Steve's little John Tesh tune nor when that guitarist played his solo over the loop he had created.

The only time I heard changes was when Jobs played what he called a jazz combo (or something like that), and switched the vibraphone to organ etc. But that wasn't a loop, it was from user-entered MIDI input.

Eh, I'll stop my wondering. I ordered it today, and $29 (edu) seemed so cheap I went ahead and added the extras pack for $79. We can post our reviews when we get 'em.