Who's getting garageband?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I can't wait to get my hands on it. I've been mucking around with DP3, 4 for years and haven't gotten anything done. I bet I finish an album with garage band this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    Garage Band is part of iLife.

As such, it belongs in Digital Hub. Moving now...
  • Reply 2 of 61
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I'm definitely getting it, I have been waiting for an app like this, I'm glad it was apple who finally came through and made it!

I'll also be getting that m-audio keystation 49e, I already have a 49 key midi keyboard, but it lacks USB, and I want something I can have in boston(I'm a californian in boston), and something I can use here.

I'll also get a monster cable 14"->1/8" adaptor(because all my current adaptors suck and monster has a life long warranty) and see what Garageband can't do with DI and my bass, and if it isn't satisfactory, I'm going to get a USB mobile pre.

I think I'll also get a .mac account to share my compositions

I'm really excited!
  • Reply 3 of 61
    I'm definitely getting it.

I have a full-size MIDI keyboard that I just use for tinkering, but have never bothered to get software to hook it up to my Mac. I'll have to get a serial to USB converter, but I think they aren't too pricey.

It looks like SO much fun and seems a lot easier than the other software titles I've looked at.
  • Reply 4 of 61
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    *raises hand*
  • Reply 5 of 61
    you have no clue how screwed up apple shipping is for overseas customers. i want that software on the 16th.
  • Reply 6 of 61
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Yeah - definitely... I want to go across schools in Australia and demo the damn thing to help integrate Macs into Music Technology Programs. I just wish Apple got this out sooner!!!!

Anyway, it will be a winner for sure and the way it integrates with iTunes and .mac is awesome!
  • Reply 7 of 61
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    Although GarageBand has no use for me personally, I do see it as the next "killer app" for Apple. Just as desktop publishing was a huge boost for Apple in the '80's this product will be a must have for hundreds of thousands of teenagers who will simply have to have it.

These kids will be junking their eMachines and Dells to buy a new Apple Macintoshes just to get Garageband. I don't think I can overstate the impact that this one iLife component will have on future Mac sales.
  • Reply 8 of 61
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    already ordered iLife4---why not...edu price of 29 bucks...can't beat it with a stick....

weeeeeeeeeee

g
  • Reply 9 of 61
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Gonna get iLife 04, that 49-key USB keyboard and JBL Creature speakers next weekend.

Weeeeeeee, indeed!
  • Reply 10 of 61
    jahyjahy Posts: 54member
    I'm getting iLife '04, 49 key USB keyboard, JBL Creature II Speakers, Apple In-ear headphones, a y splitter, an iFlex stand for my iSight, and an iTV powerbook cable.

• Reply 11 of 61
    Just from reading these (and other) message boards and responses to GarageBand on the Internet for the past two days, I've come to the conclusion that Apple may have totally knocked it out of the park on this one.

Musicians are stoked, hobbyists/dabblers now have something to help them, guys like me who used to play 24/7 but kinda "put it on the backburner" are now finding inspiration and reason to drag the guitars back out.

2004 is going to see two things, IMO: a HUGE explosion of sites (.Mac pages, in particular) popping of with everyone's musical efforts posted and and general overall surge of interest in digital music creation. I think other companies will soon be releasing their own "Jam Pack" variations: new instrument models, amp models, percussion loops, etc. made to work with GarageBand (this is possible, right? Because if so, there is a HUGE, wide-open field to be explored and exploited!).

There will be downloadable "Celtic Instrument" collections and "Sounds of Bluegrass" and "Marching Band Mania". People will create loops and sounds and patterns and trade them freely and songwriters will be able to record VERY nice demos of their songs.

I see this being HUGE. I don't think the impact of GarageBand can be overstated, the more I think about it.

AND if marketed correctly (or at all...sigh), THIS - more than anything else in recent memory, could serve as a quite a boost for Mac sales and creating a new flood of Switchers. Imagine all the PC-users who are a) not particularly fond of Windows to begin with and b) are amateur or semi-pro musicians and see GarageBand (not to mention the rest of iLife 04) as the final push to come to our side.

Sadly, that'll rest solely on how this is marketed or made known to the masses. I think it would be the height of stupidity and idiotic decision-making on Apple's part if iLife 04 (and GarageBand in particular) are not promoted to death by Apple. In one $49 box, you get EVERYTHING you need to manage all your digital media AND create your own. I'll personally choke Jobs myself if 2004 passes and the only people who know about - or are excited about iLife 04 and GarageBand are just us...current Mac users. THIS is the killer software package of the year, hands down. And it should be treated and marketed as such.

As I said in another thread, the true validation will come when Microsoft and others jump on the "personal digital music studio" bandwagon in the latter half of 2004.

Because you know they will. In fact, I'm sure that moments after Tuesday's keynote, a meeting was called somewhere in Redmond to lay plans for Microsoft DigiStudio 2005?.

As for GarageBand, since its software-based, Apple's own updates to it - throughout the year - could/might include additional instruments, loops, new guitar amp models, etc.?

I hope so! That'll be awesome.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    I'm getting Garageband, but that's only because it is coming with iPhoto and iDVD which I want. I'm sure to dabble with it a little, but I don't really see myself using it for more than a cheaper version of Soundtrack so I can do scoring for my Final Cut Express projects.

There is one thing that has been bothering the hell out of me since I first heard the rumors of GarageBand, is Apple going to call it CarParkBand in the UK?
  • Reply 13 of 61
    When I read about it, I wasn't too bothered. I ordered iLife '04 because I wanted the updates to the other apps, but the more I think about it, I'm going to have a go to see what someone with no musical knowledge can come up with .

Quote:

...is Apple going to call it CarParkBand in the UK?

LOL .

Dave.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    *raises hand*

I'm soooo stoked to get this. My wife plays keyboard and we already have a USB/MIDI connector so she'll be able to plug in w/no problems. I play bass and have a 1/4 - 1/8 adapter already (super cheap at Tandy / Radio Shack) and have been dying for a simple way to record my playing and GB looks to be it!

Wrong Robot,

What kind of bass do you play? I have a Schecter (active) & a cheapo P (passive) myself. You also said you're on TB as well, do you have the same nick there (I'm WillPlay4Food)?

pscates,

Like you, I think GB is the start of something huge! I'll finally have a percussion section to jam with. I think AI will have to open a new forum so we can all collaborate on musical works. Just think how awesome this will be! You could lay down guitar, I could do bass, someone else can do drums / keys, etc. Man! Talk about fun! Take that RIAA, why pay for crap music when you can make your own crap!

Heck, maybe I'll dig out my sax! I think between my wife and I we have 3 of 'em floating around here.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    Oh, it's gonna be a scene, man.

I didn't even think about that aspect of it: cross-country collaboration and "add to this song" Internet parties.

There just seems to be this bubbling buildup of excitement among so many over this product. That can only be a good thing, if only because it gets someone to pull their keyboard or guitar back out of the closet or from under the bed and simply CREATE again and rediscover what used to be such a huge part of their life.

No amount of GHz, MHz, front side bus, backside cache, etc. talk can trump that.

Spec Whores, you've been dealt a crippling blow.

I'm glad the iBook went to a G4 now...my friend will be able to partake in all this too and she's a GREAT songwriter/strummer! I envision recording her singing and playing guitar, then letting me pretend I'm Lindsey Buckingham and add beautifully to it (organ, bass, a bagpipe...)

• Reply 16 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates :

... No amount of GHz, MHz, front side bus, backside cache, etc. talk can trump that. Spec Whores, you've been dealt a crippling blow.

Speaking of specs, even an eMac will not only get this KILLER APP, for free, but also run it quite well. This will sell more macs than desktop publishing did.

It's a home run out of the ballpark hit for Apple.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

I'll also be getting that m-audio keystation 49e, I already have a 49 key midi keyboard, but it lacks USB, and I want something I can have in boston(I'm a californian in boston), and something I can use here.

Or you could save about $50 and just get that USB MIDI adapter offered on the Apple store. (Of course, it's even cheaper on Amazon...)
  • Reply 18 of 61
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I'm getting GarageBand, and how.

I've been waiting for something like this for years, and even then I never expected to see it for $29!

I have to concur: This will be an out-of-the-park home run for Apple. And as pscates points out, it trumps specs completely: Specs try to sell you on what you could theoretically do, even if most of the potential goes unused. Apps like GarageBand show you what you can do ten minutes after setting the machine down on your desk.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Is Apple going to call it CarParkBand in the UK?

We refer to "parking garages" as "car parks" (usually "multi-storey car parks") but we refer to garages that attach to your home where many great bands (and softare companies) got their start as garages.

What they should call it is BedSit as there is every chance that some lone maverick genius will be able to put himself at number one in the UK charts sometime in 2004 with nothing more than this software and a copy of The Manual by the KLF. Full text can be found at this link, but if you a buy a copy you get this gaurantee:

Quote:

we guarantee that we will refund the complete price of this manual if you are unable to achieve a number one single in the official (gallup) u.k. charts within three months of the purchase of this manual

• Reply 20 of 61
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Me me me me me me! It's going to be a b-day present along with a USB or MIDI keyboard and the guitar adapter thingy. It's just what I need to get some inspiration to start learning guitar (again. For the hundreth time.) I can't wait.