Who's getting garageband?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph Specs try to sell you on what you could theoretically do, even if most of the potential goes unused. Apps like GarageBand show you what you can do ten minutes after setting the machine down on your desk.

Exactly. Beautifully stated.

This is very real, very pure and instantly useful. I think it'll become THE app of 2004. The one most used, most discussed, most supported...and most copied.

I, too, can't get over the price. All during the iLife portion of the keynote, I was thinking "okay, nice updates...I guess they'll bump up iLife to $69 or so, just because."

Then when he unveiled and demoed GarageBand, I immediately thought "okay, iLife is going to HAVE to be at least $129...this thing kicks ass!"

You can't imagine my shock and and extreme awe when he said "$49". I almost feel off my chair with jubilation. I was fully prepared - and happy - to lay out $149 or so for iLife 04.

I don't know how they do it. But I'm glad they do.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    call me impulsive but...im definitely gettin it. and whats even better is i think this was the final push to make me go out and buy my first ever electric guitar so that i can finally start learning. with between software/ real lessons and GB i think there will be a lot of people psyched to go out and pick up an instrument just so those creative juices can start flowing.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    GarageBand will probably do for guitar and keyboard sales what no amount of prior sales, promotions and trends could do.

It'll be interesting to see what all happens - in both the computer AND music industries - as the result of GarageBand: music sales up, instrument sales up, GarageBand websites and forums springing up, tie-ins and promos between Apple and, say, Fender?

Why not? It's all possible!

"Buy this Strat, get a free copy of Apple iLife 04..."
  • Reply 24 of 61
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    funny thing pscates is that that is pretty much just what happened but in reverse...last night it was like "buy this coppy of ilife then run down to sam ash and buy this fender."

stoked
  • Reply 25 of 61
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I've been plotting to grab Shoenberg's book, sit down and relearn music theory, since it's hard to write songs on a drumset. GarageBand and that M-Audio keyboard are my ticket. I have a guitar, but for this project I'd rather not have to mess with the intermediate problems of fingering chords and picking strings.

This will be so damn cool.
  • Reply 26 of 61
    I
  • Reply 27 of 61
    Yes. A thousand times yes! I will get this killer App! And believe me, GarageBand is a killer app (this coming from one who uses Logic, Reason, and Live), one that will be known for blowing the lid off of the creative music business! This will propel Apple to the forefront of music related computer sales. I'm not too sure if the people in the audience @ Macworld really understood the magnitude of this application...

Again, thank you Apple for understanding musicians so well.

P.S. - John Mayer (the guy who did the demo - American by the way ... I was hoping he was Canadian, like me!) is one of the rising stars within the music world right now. I can't believe Apple was sharp enough to get him. I don't even like that style of music very much, but he is just awesome!
  • Reply 28 of 61
    i can't wait to get my accordions out and give GarageBand a whirl.

i'm stoked.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    I propose an annual AppleInsider battle of the GarageBands. Someone would have to have web space to host the finalists, and maybe the prize could be an iTMS gift certificate of some denomination.

The "add to this song" concept sounds cool, too. Count me in.

I am so unbelievably excited about this new iLife app. (gApp?)
  • Reply 30 of 61
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Buying software is usually painful, especially on my paycheck. $49... $29 with the education discount... The software I've been dreaming about forever... Just about 2 weeks ago I got really aggressive trying to find out how to do what I wanted to do now that I have an iMic and a $3 adapter to run my guitar directly into my audio-in-less computer. I was going to go out and spend a nice sized pile of money on a nice effects pedal to record into SoundStudio with. This is so much better than I could have dreamed, especially for this price. I. am. so. there.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    The Garageband portion of the Keynote would make a really nice little infommercial.

I've shown this part to a lot of people who are absolutely blown away when they actually SEE what you can do with it.

Pscates, I know you've talked about Apple's lack of marketing, so I, like you, hope that Steve wises up and shows people what you can do with this amazing software.

I'm going to get one of those USB keyboards and set up my DrumKat, and I'll be ready to rock!!!
  • Reply 32 of 61
    resres Posts: 711member
    I'll get it the day it comes out. I've just started to really get back into music after a long break (I sold off my 16 track project studio in the early 90s), and garageband looks like a wonderful program for working out a rough draft of a song -- I wish I had something like this years ago.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Spec whores, you say?

Do you have any idea how many recent G3 iBook owners like myself there are out there? I guess I should have been more of a spec whore as at least a nice part of the GB software is unavailable to me. There are hoards of late model G3 owners like myself who will not be purchasing because our systems are not fully supported. I don't expect original iMacs to be supported. But newer G3's should not be locked out of the software instruments. why would Apple do this? I do not believe there are technical reasons for this. This reminds me of the iChat limitation built in to sell more iSights. Now, they are telling us iBook purchasers that our systems are not powerful enough to handle their software. All those schools who bought iBooks will also be out of the loop. Stupid!
  • Reply 34 of 61
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Voyer

Spec whores, you say?...

With POWER comes a PRICE

This level of software magic takes some significant horsepower. Bringing it's capabilities down to the low speed G3 would have crippled it. Be glad you can get it for free when you update your system.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    jahyjahy Posts: 54member
    All these crazy real time effects probably require Altivec.

G3s don't have Altivec.

If they can offer it for G3 users without diluting the experience I think they will. Apple tends to maintain control over the user experience, and will prevent G3 users from trying the features if it would make Garage Band look bad.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    Voyer, relax. I use the term ONLY when talking about various resident spazzes who bitch and moan 24/7 about this bus and that cache and that MHz and lay on the drama a tad thick about all they're "not able to do" because Apple isn't shipping [fill in the blank with buzzword of your choice] on their [fill in Apple computer of your choice].

Wasn't dinging you or anything of the sort.

But yes, some of these heavier-duty apps involving video and, I suppose, music production require a G4.

That's not my fault or call.

And it IN NO WAY reflects on you or your awesome choice of computer (iBooks - all of them - rock).
  • Reply 37 of 61
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Voyer

Spec whores, you say?

Do you have any idea how many recent G3 iBook owners like myself there are out there?

Nobody who bought an iBook is a spec whore. Unless you believe that iBooks sell because of the bitchin' spec sheet?

The audio effects in GarageBand probably do require AltiVec. That's the sort of thing AltiVec excels at.
  • Reply 38 of 61
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jahy

All these crazy real time effects probably require Altivec.

G3s don't have Altivec.

If they can offer it for G3 users without diluting the experience I think they will. Apple tends to maintain control over the user experience, and will prevent G3 users from trying the features if it would make Garage Band look bad.

Logic has been running just fine with these plugs on G3s for a long time. Sure, you get audio overloads more often, but that's life. They probably disabled the software instruments on G3 a la FCP 3 real-time effects, meaning they don't have to but they probably will so that people don't whine about their machines getting overloaded.

Of course, G3 owners can still get pro-tools free for OS9, which really is a damn good application for the audio hobbyist.

Anyway, as a logic platinum user, I'm waiting for the [Apple] Logic [7] update, which I expect will be killer and I hope will be unveiled at NAMM.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I'm getting iLife, The Garageband Extras, and a 49 key keyboard at my local Apple sore on the 16th. I can't freakin wait!
  • Reply 40 of 61
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I am getting iLife on the 16th at the Houston store.

Very eager to play with Garageband even though my music skills are pretty tame.

Might even get the keyboard. Is it available at the stores yet?