HP to Make branded iPods!

homhom
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
This is going to be huge, HUGE I tell you. Link and now the quote

Quote:

LAS VEGAS, Consumer Electronics Show, January 8, 2004?Working to provide consumers with the most compelling digital content whenever and wherever they desire, HP and Apple® today announced a strategic alliance to deliver an HP-branded digital music player based on Apple?s iPod?, the number one digital music player in the world, and Apple?s award-winning iTunes digital music jukebox and pioneering online music store to HP's customers.

This is an amazing deal. HP branded iPods to go after the low end of the market. iTunes on every HP and Compaq computer sold. The digital music era is now officially Apple's.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 173
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Kinda feeling like 1998/1999 again, isn't it? Good times, indeed.

Coming off an AMAZING 2003, they've already got 2004 off to such a positive, cool start!
  • Reply 2 of 173
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

This is going to be huge, HUGE I tell you. Link and now the quote

This is an amazing deal. HP branded iPods to go after the low end of the market. iTunes on every HP and Compaq computer sold. The digital music era is now officially Apple's.

You just beat me!

I'm just having a post-flu nap, wake up, read this, wonder if I've become delusional.

But now some messages:

Dave Fester: you were right, this is the year of legal music downloading. You were right: People did want a choice. Now they can buy their iPod from Apple or HP.

Rob Enderle/Paul Thurrott: Betcha you can't work out which ways up today? 730,000 iPods in a quarter. 30,000,000 songs in 250 days. And now, a Wintel poster boy company quits swimming against the tide and gives the market what it wants. If you're so close to the industry, how come you didn't see this coming, you sorry sacks of &*^%!
  • Reply 3 of 173
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    This is game over for all other music stores and players. HP can go after the low end of the market while leaving the higher end to Apple. iTunes now becomes the standard windows music player. AAC is the default encoder. Apple owns digital music.
  • Reply 4 of 173
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

This is game over for all other music stores and players. HP can go after the low end of the market while leaving the higher end to Apple. iTunes now becomes the standard windows music player. AAC is the default encoder. Apple owns digital music.

There's also an implication to it all.

This will be a global arrangement surely, which implies that iTMS must be on the verge of going global.
  • Reply 5 of 173
    Incredible news.
  • Reply 6 of 173
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Boy howdie, does that sound strange. Good for them though! The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
  • Reply 7 of 173
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Wow. I thought the link was to some no-credit rumor site until I moused over it.

Yes, this is very exciting, but I doubt Apple will let HP make it for much less. I dunno, the press release says that it will be priced competitively, whatever that means...
  • Reply 8 of 173
    So you will be able to buy an HP iPod? Weird!
  • Reply 9 of 173
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Ok, update time. Phil Schiller said in this ZDNet article:

Quote:

Apple will manufacture the player, which will not have the iPod name, but will have the same design and features as Apple's third-generation iPod players, Phil Schiller, senior vice president at Apple, said in an interview.

"The way we look at it, HP will be reselling an iPod device," said Schiller, who noted that the device will display the Apple logo at start-up and will work with all of the accessories made for the white-hued Apple varieties

Seems like Apple learned the Mac lesson all too well. It's all about licensing. The players will be HP branded, but show the Apple logo at startup. Who wants to bet that other companies want to start selling their own iPods. And it all gets tied into iTunes. Apple is going to own the hardware platform and software platform for the coming digital music revolution. Buh bye Rio, Music Match, eDigital, ect. GAME OVER!
  • Reply 10 of 173
    Wow, the iPod platform.
  • Reply 11 of 173
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Remember folks, this isn't gonna happen for another 6 months or so. iTMS stores in other territories should be pretty much set by this summer (hopefully).
  • Reply 12 of 173
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    sweet news...apple is really expanding again (after years of painful contraction....)

g
  • Reply 13 of 173
    I guess those Dell DJs won't be very popular.
  • Reply 14 of 173
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Remember folks, this isn't gonna happen for another 6 months or so. iTMS stores in other territories should be pretty much set by this summer (hopefully).

Betcha all done and dusted by April - round about the time iPod jr. goes global.
  • Reply 15 of 173
    Think of this as Apple playing Microsoft's game:

Get the PC-manufactures to do what they do best, move HW boxes and live of the steady revenue stream from the IP (OS/Software and Music)

This is a great strategy. It will also shut up all the analysts and Win-heads thinking that the iPod is just a repetition of Apple's previous mistakes (closed system based on proprietary software interacting with proprietary hardware)

This is better than OS X on Intel....this is the return of the clones...just iPod clones instead of Mac clones this time around...

WOW! 8)
  • Reply 16 of 173
    Quote:

Betcha all done and dusted by April - round about the time iPod jr. goes global

Nope. Phil Schiller says HP will have the regular iPod only. (It will be blue). Has nothing to do with iPod mini which will be Apple's alone for the forseeable future. HP basically decides when they will incorporate iTMS into their computer line. June at the earliest... that's "summer".

UPDATE: Carly Forina of HP on CNBC at 4 PM ET - Jan 8.
  • Reply 17 of 173
    Now does Apple make money off of each device that HP sells, or are they going to pay a licensing fee and gett as many iPods as they can sell?

Macaddict16
  • Reply 18 of 173
    The title of this thread is misleading. HP is not manufacturing the player. Apple will sell the iPods to HP. HP will get a great price and in return will promote iTMS on their computers. All around an excellent arrangement. Apple controls both the hardware and software.
  • Reply 19 of 173
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    What will they call these things, iHPods?
  • Reply 20 of 173
    Quote:

What will they call these things, iHPods

I don't believe the word "Pod" will be in the name. HP Jukebox, HP Musicbox, HPMusicPlayer, etc. are possibilities. But imagine turning on the player and seeing the Apple logo? Great! Sorta like "Intel Inside"!