Clark gaining in the polls

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Wesley Clark continues to make major gains in polls across the country, including NH. Today's polls show Clark closely trailing Dean.

New Hampshire

Boston Herald: Dean 29, Clark 20

ARG: Dean 32, Clark 22

SurveyUSA: Dean 35, Clark 26

South Carolina

SurveyUSA: Dean 25, Clark 23

Arizona

SurveyUSA: Clark 39, Dean 32

Tennessee

SurveyUSA: Dean 27, Clark 26

All other polls seem out of date, but very surprising results. We are talking about Dean's once 25-30 point leade in NH now being down to high single digits in most polls. Not only that, but Clark is now ahead in Arizona and Oklahoma, and with the margin of error in South Carolina and Tennessee.

The only state not in play for Clark or Dean at the moment is Missouri, which Gephardt looks to win. This, of course, depends on how Gephardt does in Iowa and how long his campaign will last if he does not win. If Dean wins Iowa, he should expect a slight boost in NH and the Feb. 3rd states.

Still, from being down so much at the beginning of the month, Wesley Clark looks to make it an interesting race despite not participating in the Iowa Caucuses.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    So a Republican v. Republican 2004 race for president?
  • Reply 2 of 57
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    What are the policy differences between Clark and Dean?
  • Reply 3 of 57
    Has Clark figured out what his policies are yet?
  • Reply 4 of 57
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I've heard Clark speak, he is not a Republican, despite what Howard Dean might tell you.
  • Reply 5 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Has Clark figured out what his policies are yet?

http://clark04.com/issues/
  • Reply 6 of 57
    Dean? I was just looking at his voter registration card.
  • Reply 7 of 57
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...crats_clark_14

Plus, Clark voted for Clinton and Gore.
  • Reply 8 of 57
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

So a Republican v. Republican 2004 race for president?

What? Lieberman's back?
  • Reply 9 of 57
    http://www.dissidentvoice.org/Articl...sley-Clark.htm

The only reason he is "surging" in the polls is that no one is paying attention to him and he hasn't been under any scrutiny like Howard Dean. The rest of the pack is fighting in Iowa and that's where the media focus is right now. The only thing most people know about him right now is that he is a general.

Once he comes under scrutiny, he will crumble. He's a weak pro-war candidate with no experience and a dubious past.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    Oh, and SurveyUSA is notorious for bad polling methodology.
  • Reply 11 of 57
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Fran sounds like he may be a Clark supporter.

I kind of support him to, if only because I think he's probably got the best chance as the anti-Dean vote. If he comes in strong in NH, and then wins several states the next week, there's a very good chance that he will be seen as the anti-Dean, and then many of the Lieberman, Kerry, Edwards etc. voters will probably turn to him. Lieberman is technically my candidate, but it doesn't really matter because my state votes in like October or something.
  • Reply 12 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Oh, and SurveyUSA is notorious for bad polling methodology.

Be fair here, everyone has something bad to say about "Poll X" or "Poll Y", but I tried to find the polls that are at least somewhat current.

I know there are people that dislike the ARG polls as well. At least they give us a general indication of what people are thinking. I would have used some ARG polls up against the SurveyUSA polls but other than NH, they are from December, and posting poll data that is 3-4 weeks old doesn't really help any one.

BTW, Clark isn't 'pro-war' as you put it. He has an exit strategy for Iraq planned and we know he has the military experience to handle the situation. He also knows how to bring coalitions together and will strengthen the world fight on terrorism with co-operation instead of the current tactics of alienating our own allies. Of course, Dean has been labeling Clark as 'pro-war' and as a 'Republican' and it appears many people are buying into the rhetoric.

When the field of candidates narrows in the upcoming weeks, and debates between Democrats come down to 2 or 3 people, we'll see how many people continue to buy Howard Dean's claims of Wesley Clark being pro-war or a Republican. The Dean balloon is deflating fast. Not only is Gephardt on the verge of winning Iowa, but Kerry is right up there as well. You also have Dean losing ground in NH to Clark and the February 3rd states either in the Clark camp or a dead heat between Clark and Dean (with the exception of Gephardt's home state of MO).

It's going to be an interesting few weeks.
  • Reply 13 of 57
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Yah, the polls are tightening and there's been enough Dean coverage to paint him as front-runner, to explore/exploit his bad habits and give the other guys the "underdog" position which isn't always a bad place to be coming from. It's tough for Dean to carry the front-runner placard, it makes him target numero uno.

USAToday had an article (click here) discussing the psychographic profile names of the target voters for the Democratic voters. The "Rustic Living" crowd likes Gephardt, the "Urban Uptown" crowd likes Dean, the "Second City Society" like Clark and the "Inner Suburbs" like Lieberman.

When the field narrows down we'll see what happens, but I get the feeling that Clark is a more realistic candidate than I would have EVER given him credit.

The "Deaniacs" as they call them will of course shout at me for this opinion.

But I don't care
  • Reply 14 of 57
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    This is funny. Clark is quoted here as saying ...

Quote:

But in explaining himself, he told reporters: "I do not believe that al Qaeda was involved in 9-11," and he made the same remark later. ...

What a dip shit! Then continuing in the article.

Quote:

... As the news conference ended, an aide pulled the general aside and whispered into his ear, apparently informing him of his gaffe.

"I misspoke," Gen. Clark said as he rushed back to the lectern. "I meant to say that Saddam Hussein wasn't linked to 9-11."

He'll be fun to sound bite. We can have a bunch of "Clarkisms" and post them over and over again.
  • Reply 15 of 57
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    My bet is on a Clark / Kerry alliance, at least when Kerry loses by a sufficient margin in the first few states.

It's also the most realistic alternative (unless Clark gets an endorsement from Hilary one of these days and she aims for the vice-presidency, but i don't blieve that for a second)
  • Reply 16 of 57
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    You know I'd almost like to see a Hilary Presidency just to watch all the right wingers heads simultaneously explode.
  • Reply 17 of 57
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

You know I'd almost like to see a Hilary Presidency just to watch all the right wingers heads simultaneously explode.

You know, I doubt she would be a divisive President if her actions in the Senate are any indication. Maybe Clark could be her Vice President when he loses.
  • Reply 18 of 57
    Today's ARG poll for NH shows:

Dean 29

Clark 24

One point away from the margin of error.
  • Reply 19 of 57
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'd vote for Clark with Kerry as his running mate WAY before I'd vote for Dean with anybody as his running mate.

The guy just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. \
  • Reply 20 of 57
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I wouldn't vote for Kerry to be Dog Catcher.