If We Find An Anomoly On Mars....

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I don't want to 'pollute' the celebratory, Official Mars Thread.

What if we find something that we cannot explain. For example, suppose, just suppose, that the images here:

http://www.enterprisemission.com/spirit2.htm

really are signs of an earlier civilization that was resident in this solar system?

The world's religions have brought up the majority of the human race with the premise that life began here (don't they?). What if they are proved wrong? What if there was an earlier civilization (Humanoid or otherwise)? What is the effect on humanity? Panic in the streets? A generalized shrug? A clamoring to get to Mars immediately? UFO conspiracists refer to Government Studies that claimed (in the 1950s or so) that contact with aliens or proof of the existance of extraterrestrials would cause a breakdown of civilization.

What do you think? Can we handle a New Truth?

Aries 1B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    *lol* Oh I just love pictures like those.
  • Reply 2 of 63
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    I think enough people are of the opinion, and correctly so, that humans are not the only intelligent beings in existence to make such a discovery not as psychologically and philosophically earth shattering as it would have even 50-100 years ago.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

*lol* Oh I just love pictures like those.

Me too!

But what is that 'Machined Fixture'?

Some of you guys are graphics volk? Are the images on that site fake?

Aries 1B:
  • Reply 4 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aries 1B

http://www.enterprisemission.com/spirit2.htm

What do you think? Can we handle a New Truth?

Aries 1B

Ares 1B by chance do you ever listen to Coast to Coast?

I ask because Richard C. Hoagland is often a guest on the program.

Fellowship
  • Reply 5 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

Ares 1B by chance do you ever listen to Coast to Coast?

I ask because Richard C. Hoagland is often a guest on the program.

Fellowship

"Ares 1B"?

Uh, no, "Fellewship" (kidding, O exaulted, moderating one). Dr. Hoagland hosts the Enterprisemission site from which that URL comes.

What do YOU think? Will the credibility of the Bible take a hit if Dr. Hoagland is correct?

Aries 1B
  • Reply 6 of 63
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Too late, the "celebrated" Mars Thread already has been "polluted" by Ganondorf who is certain that "THEY" (still unidentified by name btw Ganonfrod) are toying with the colors of the Mars photographs despite the science behind the color adjustments that have been made to account for the specific gases, dust particles and water vapors unique to Mars' climate.

He linked to a page that hosted huge-ass photos of the "face" with one photo that even suggested there was a sentiently-produced processional entry way to the top of the plateau. Pretty wild stuff with nothing to back it up.

But, like I mentioned in the official Mars thread, even a hard sci-fi writer like Ben Bova (spoilers ahead!) was unable to resist the temptation to add the remnants of an abandoned culture on Mars. It would be a fantastic discovery, it truly is the last thing we really expect to find. We've progressed beyond the Jules Verne era, our hearts tell us the best we'd find would be evidence of bacteriological life, fossils of diatomaceous critters is almost too radical to consider.

So, structures? I don't believe it.

But it would be cool.

Edit: Crap, this guy needs to hook up with Ganondorf and go to a class to about how light is affected by the incidence of sunlight as it passes through the atmosphere. To expect things on Earth to look the same on Mars indicates ignorance of pure science. I mean, I bought a leather jacket that looked green in the store, brown in my house and tan in the sunlight. I don't think it was a plot by NASA to mess up my ability to match clothes although I'd certainly like to lay the blame at their feet!

Photoshopped? Too hard to tell when the images are at 72dpi. But they're STUPID extrapolations, if that's what you want to know. It's like a visual game of "telephone", it's like George Costanza thinking mailboxes are raccoons. For goodness sake.
  • Reply 7 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aries 1B

"Ares 1B"?

Uh, no, "Fellewship" (kidding, O exaulted, moderating one). Dr. Hoagland hosts the Enterprisemission site from which that URL comes.

What do YOU think? Will the credibility of the Bible take a hit if Dr. Hoagland is correct?

Aries 1B

I think the entire world would realize a new revelation if Hoagland is correct.

I am not sure the Bible would take a hit.

Fellowship
  • Reply 8 of 63
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    I am not sure that there is anything in the Bible - at least under non-fundamentalist interpretations of it - that excludes the possibility that there is life elsewhere in God's universe.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    Sort of an aside:

I think that the private sector will beat NASA to the moon by five or more years.

On December 17, 2003, Burt Rutan's privately funded, carrier launched manned orbital vehicle hit mach 1 in a flight test. There is a new Space Race in town....

Gotta get some sleep. To all a good night.

Aries 1B
  • Reply 10 of 63
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    "The Stove"

Oh, God, that's keeper!

I think if true, we should blame unilateral US actions and the Bush administration for the demise of that civilization. (That's a joke, kids!)
  • Reply 11 of 63
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I've got a simpler explanation.

Spirit landed on Beagle 2's debris field.

• Reply 12 of 63
    Generalized shrug...what time is american idol on again?

• Reply 13 of 63
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I found an anomaly in your spelling.
  • Reply 14 of 63
    sad thing is, even if there were some civilization on mars that died out a billion years ago, after eons of weathering, nothing would be left (above ground anyway) i mean look at the pyramids after what thousands of years the original smooth coating has worn off. if it were on mars with no civilization a billion years from now it would be sand...
  • Reply 15 of 63
    this got me to thinking...

if we all died out suddenly would anything be left here a billion years later to show that we were here? all the cities would be gone, mt rushmore, gone, maybe underground stuff like norad would be left, but with earthquakes, mountians rising, etc. i dunno. but anyone coming here a billion years later would look around and assume that this was a virgin world...
  • Reply 16 of 63
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

I think enough people are of the opinion, and correctly so, that humans are not the only intelligent beings in existence ...

But there's no factual basis to believe that's true at all.
  • Reply 17 of 63
    Science is observational and positional, explorers are mission-oriented. Scientific Exploration is a hybrid of the two.

And I believe that you'll find that it wasn't the flaky mineral called mica that was used as a sheath to the pyramids, it was polished limestone.
  • Reply 18 of 63
    <cynical mode>

Is it just me who's still waiting to find intelligent life? No signs so far... Lots of monkeys, though.

Bible: I'd lay bets that it'll object. It seems to have a history of doing so. But then, that was in the past, when it had a lot more influence...

I do like the idea of intelligent life being found, as probably does the rest of the world. The odds are there. But don't expect too much from it - odds are we'll recieve a signal like "You're not alone", and that'll be it for a few millennia. Or maybe ET will be nice, and broadcast an Encyclopaedia Galactica. But why would they bother to do so?

Alternatively, we'll pick up their TV signals. And that will be eerie - watching TV from millennia ago... And quite interesting, I guess - we'll get to watch their hitlers, their sports, their pr0n... Oh, the joys of TV.

</cynical mode>
  • Reply 19 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Peel

<cynical mode>

Bible: I'd lay bets that it'll object. It seems to have a history of doing so. But then, that was in the past, when it had a lot more influence...

<pity>

<temperance=4>

It always saddens me to hear unfounded opinions like Mike's. But if that's what he believes...

</temperance>

</pity>

I once met the man who played Uncle Martin on My Favorite Martian. I kept staring at the top of his head waiting for his antennae to emerge. He wouldn't oblige.
  • Reply 20 of 63
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

But there's no factual basis to believe that's true at all.

There's no factual basis, as far as we know, for another intelligent species in the universe to believe there is intelligent life elsewhere... yet here we sit.