Have you ever played a prank or trick on anyone?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Small cars are great. In high school a bunch of us picked up a friend's VW Beetle and put it on top of a snowbank. It was a Friday, and he was in a hurry that night to get home for some reason or another, so he decided to leave it. It wasn't like it was *going* anywhere.

The next day a bunch of us got a frantic call from him. The temperature had shot up to about 60 degrees that day, and the snowbank was melting... lopsided. Yup, his car was threatening to roll right off onto the asphalt. We all went racing back to the school, to find him literally pushing his car up, trying to keep it from rolling... and squashing him like a bug. Which we pointed out that it was pretty stupid to get *under* it, but he'd panicked and tried to keep the car from falling. We had mercy on him and all grabbed the car and brought it down for him.

Ah, youth.
  • Reply 22 of 72
    the string prank may be fairly common. I did that to my sister when I was 6.

The best prank (and perhaps last because of its after effects) I pulled was during my sister's bat miztvah party in my house when I was 9. My parents sent my brother to bed at 8 pm and the party didnt wind down until around 10. He was 6 at the time and obviously nervous with the large quantity of strangers floating around downstairs. The house had an intercom system that could specifically call between two rooms, so I set up a direct connection between my bed room and his and started calling him. First, I called his name. Then I said I was coming for him. The I started growling. He cried about it to my parents. I did it again. Again he complained. One last time and my parents figured out what was going on and shut the intercom down. My brother never figured it out and he remained incredibly scared of strangers during his childhood.
  • Reply 23 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

Hi Piwozniak - I liked the string prank. haha. And I know people who've done the burning sack thing. But my favorite was the car story. Was it the teacher you hated, or the subject?

(I took four years of Russian at university - it was my minor. Never learned conversational Russian, though. Maybe someday.)

Definitely the subject, our teacher was cute :-)

She was right out of University, and completely unprepared to face high school students

We were driving her mad, but in a funny kind of way, we were never mean or anything like that, but always ready to 'participate' in a full meaning of that word. Always volunteered to read something from the book, completely butchering it, or heh once she told us that next class would be a surprise for us, and he he she brought a cassette player and song-books for us, since no-one was really too thrilled me and my buddy picked up the books and started singing then singing-screaming, as loud as we could... . It was fun, we were always sitting in first row telling jokes to each-other, and when she would ask as if there was something we would like to share with a class, we would always share it

I can barely read one sentence in russian now, not even close to talking, but since i'm polish i can understand it pretty well.
  • Reply 24 of 72
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Kickaha - did he 'really' never forgive you? I mean, seriously?

I think you should have gotten a video of him viewing things that were upside down. And for a whole day. Wow.

Really, your prank was amazingly ingenious. His being a physicist made it all the worse that he didn't figure it out. No wonder he was unforgiving. hehe.

He had a bit of an ego, and we butted heads on more than one occasion over things like that, but he wasn't too bad a guy.

He just *really* didn't like being reminded of that incident.

As for publishing it... heh? Never considered that one.
  • Reply 25 of 72
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

the string prank may be fairly common. I did that to my sister when I was 6.

The best prank (and perhaps last because of its after effects) I pulled was during my sister's bat miztvah party in my house when I was 9. My parents sent my brother to bed at 8 pm and the party didnt wind down until around 10. He was 6 at the time and obviously nervous with the large quantity of strangers floating around downstairs. The house had an intercom system that could specifically call between two rooms, so I set up a direct connection between my bed room and his and started calling him. First, I called his name. Then I said I was coming for him. The I started growling. He cried about it to my parents. I did it again. Again he complained. One last time and my parents figured out what was going on and shut the intercom down. My brother never figured it out and he remained incredibly scared of strangers during his childhood.

When I was a kid, my friends and I would play cavalry (yes, I was a tomboy). My brother wanted to play, so we said 'okay'. We said he was to play the hostile captive; so we tied him up and left him bound and gagged in the tent for a few hours. We didn't do it to be mean; but when I look back on it, I feel terrible. My poor brother.

Another time, when I was 10, I was going to sneak up on a friend and scare her. So, to get into position, I was walking barefooted on top of the brick wall surrounding the yard. The top of the wall was slanted into kind of a peak, like the roof of a house; so I had to put my feet on the slanted sides to walk the fence. I had walked the fence many times, but this time I guess one foot lost its traction, and I fell hard, crashing down with all my weight - straddling the fence, with its peaked top between my legs. The agony took my breath away and I couldn't breathe or make a sound for a long time. This experience was truly indescribable. Needless to say, I wasn't able to carry out the prank I had planned.
  • Reply 26 of 72
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    The only thing I have to compare with these, and I'm sure some may have heard me say it before, is well a computer prank a year ago...maybe it was 2?

First off, we didn't/don't like the IT people at our school, if they aren't lying because they don't know, they are failing miserably at doing their job. So a friend of mine had the bright to give them a little panic attack. For some reason, they didn't turn off the windows messaging system so you could, by going into the MSDOS prompt, send messages to a single or all the computers at once.

He created a program that would run and send the entire hacker manifesto to every computer on the network, and for some reason I think even the elementary schools got it Now this isn't just a popup, this is like 20 popups on every computer in the school.

But the best part is, we set it up so that the next person to log into the computer as the generic computer name EHSMC208 or whatever, THAT is when the program would run. So after I installed it and left the media center trembling with adrenaline because I was scared I'd get caught, I hear that two periods later messages appeared on everyones screen! I was so happy and it was awesome because all the administrators knew is that it came from that computer, the program deleted itself after running.

I am still trying to decide if I should tell the IT retards AFTER I graduate, but can't decide if they will think it was funny or be pissed.
  • Reply 27 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

The only thing I have to compare with these, and I'm sure some may have heard me say it before, is well a computer prank a year ago...maybe it was 2?

First off, we didn't/don't like the IT people at our school, if they aren't lying because they don't know, they are failing miserably at doing their job. So a friend of mine had the bright to give them a little panic attack. For some reason, they didn't turn off the windows messaging system so you could, by going into the MSDOS prompt, send messages to a single or all the computers at once.

He created a program that would run and send the entire hacker manifesto to every computer on the network, and for some reason I think even the elementary schools got it Now this isn't just a popup, this is like 20 popups on every computer in the school.

But the best part is, we set it up so that the next person to log into the computer as the generic computer name EHSMC208 or whatever, THAT is when the program would run. So after I installed it and left the media center trembling with adrenaline because I was scared I'd get caught, I hear that two periods later messages appeared on everyones screen! I was so happy and it was awesome because all the administrators knew is that it came from that computer, the program deleted itself after running.

I am still trying to decide if I should tell the IT retards AFTER I graduate, but can't decide if they will think it was funny or be pissed.

I wouldn't tell them, if I were you. The school district would probably fine you, or something. They might use your case as an example for others coming behind you, of consequences applying even 'after' you graduate. People in education (esp. administrators) don't seem to have much of a sense of humor. Everything has to be 'by the book'. Believe me, you'd be far better off not telling them, imo.
  • Reply 28 of 72
    Quote:

I wouldn't tell them, if I were you. The school district would probably fine you, or something, for costing them repair charges. They might use your case as an example for others coming behind you, of consequences applying even 'after' you graduate. People in education (esp. administrators) don't seem to have much of a sense of humor. Everything has to be 'by the book'. Believe me, you'd be far better off not telling them, imo.

Yeah see that is why I don't know, I know they can be stupid like that. I'm not really sure what they could fine me fore, I mean besides clicking the 'ok' buttons several times nothing bad. Since it was long enough ago, and since they can't prove anything, I may just tell them how it happened with an anonymous email.
  • Reply 29 of 72
    Quote:

Yeah see that is why I don't know, I know they can be stupid like that. I'm not really sure what they could fine me fore, I mean besides clicking the 'ok' buttons several times nothing bad. Since it was long enough ago, and since they can't prove anything, I may just tell them how it happened with an anonymous email.

Don't. Let sleeping dogs lye (don't know if that's the correct thing to say here, but I'm listening to that song, so I figured I would use the title). My dad is a teacher and I know for a fact that school administration have zero tolerance for crap like that, don't tell anyone, ever. It would be a mistake.
  • Reply 30 of 72
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Not only would I let it go, I might even ask the admins to erase these comments regarding the incident. It was a harmless prank that hurt no one, but you were an innocent playing with a snake that could bite you at any time.

But it was funny!

Back in college I took a class on writing machine code for 8086 processors. I have no idea how I passed the darned class but I distinctly remember the first time I ever sat down at a personal PC because it was in that class. Now, I'd previously written Fortran code using dumb terminals hooked to the mainframe but these personal computers were a new deal.

I started doing key combinations (not sure I knew why that might do something) and a window popped up on my machine, maybe it's that same messaging system you're talking about (this was in the mid-to-late 80's though). A little fiddling and I'd sent a message off to somebody, I knew it because I saw a window pop up on somebody else's machine toward the front. The TA giving us the lecture didn't notice at first, but soon EVERYBODY was busy doing that and not listening to him. I think a box finally popped up on his machine (and onto the overhead projector). Pretty nifty when you're new to all of that stuff.
  • Reply 31 of 72
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i knew this kid once at our block party. he was kind of annoying at times, so my friend and i tied him up to a tree in the front yard. his mom had to come and untie him.
  • Reply 32 of 72
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

i knew this kid once at our block party. he was kind of annoying at times, so my friend and i tied him up to a tree in the front yard. his mom had to come and untie him.

I once tied an annoying kid to a tree, but his mom wasn't around to untie him ? we were hiking in the woods.

Ordinarily I'm not a big prankster, but I have been known to sneak up on people or startle my friends by jumping out from behind doors and the like. Priceless!
  • Reply 33 of 72
    Once, one of my students fell sound asleep during class while everyone was working quietly on an assignment. I just had to pull a prank on him. So we changed the wall clock to 6:30, and then all the students tiptoed out of class, and I turned the lights out. I went and shook him by the shoulder, and when he woke up groggily, I told him he had been sleeping for hours and that they were locking up the building. He freaked out as much as he could, in his state of grogginess. And then all the kids came pouring back in, laughing. Not much of a prank, but it's about all you can do in school these days without worrying about getting sued!

Another: my good friend taught in the room next to me, and one day she and I were speaking to each through our adjoining door when the principal came into my classroom and handed me a REALLY heavy box. When I saw the label, I realized that it was a 9"x13" LeCreuset cast-iron baking pan that I had ordered and had sent to the school, because it was so expensive and I didn't want to risk having it stolen from my front porch at home.

After the principal left, my friend looked at me and said that he was really angry about my pan coming to school, and that he had put a memo in all the teachers' mailboxes not to have personal parcels delivered there. I clapped my hand over my mouth in shock; and then she started laughing at me.

So, a few days later, she and I were on the sidewalk while classes were changing, and I went up and said, "Did you hear about Kristen (a first-year teacher)? She got your job for next year." My expression was deadly serious and totally convincing. My friend's face blanched in horror. She looked SO shocked. Then I started to smile, and she knew I had gotten her back. Pretty mild pranks, I know; but about all a jr. high teacher can handle without risking them going into cardiac arrest.
  • Reply 34 of 72
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Hmm Le creuset , very good stuff. I wonder how much they overcharge for this in USA
  • Reply 35 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Hmm Le creuset , very good stuff. I wonder how much they overcharge for this in USA

The pan sells at stores for $150 (for just that one 9"x13" pan). I got it through a catalog (mail order) for about $95 - though I can't really remember.

I have a LOT of Le Creuset, bought one pan at a time, mostly through the mail. I like their small utensils, too. Like whisks, pounders, tenderizers.

I love quality kitchen utensils. I love to cook. I just don't have much time to do it!

I buy Mephisto sandals, made in France. They used to be $150 a pair; but now they are partially made in Portugal, so the price has gone down to $110. I have many pairs, all different styles. They are sandals with arches. Great shoes! I couldn't live without them - honestly.
  • Reply 36 of 72
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

The pan sells at stores for $150 (for just that one 9"x13" pan). I got it through a catalog (mail order) for about $95 - though I can't really remember.

I have a LOT of Le Creuset, bought one pan at a time, mostly through the mail. I like their small utensils, too. Like whisks, pounders, tenderizers.

I love quality kitchen utensils. I love to cook. I just don't have much time to do it!

I buy Mephisto sandals, made in France. They used to be $150 a pair; but now they are partially made in Portugal, so the price has gone down to $110. I have many pairs, all different styles. They are sandals with arches. Great shoes! I couldn't live without them - honestly.

My wife bought a Le Creuset, but by the intermediate to a a friend who worked there, get it for half the prize.

For the mephisto shoes, i think that the price of US and France are equivalent.
  • Reply 37 of 72
    Hmmmm - LeCreuset just at the LeCreuset-Outlet Store located in Burlington, NC, also on in SC too - not bad deals there either. :-) I purchased a nice BIG & DEEP fry pan to cook up some fried chicken-"southern style" of course, my family and I eat such unheathy food once a month. :-)
  • Reply 38 of 72
    What is so good about them besides being heavy?

Teachers are different, but we have one that will hit your arm out from under you if it's proping your head so you end up face planting the desk. Others will let you sleep, and there is always the ruler slamming against the desk besides you so that it's the loudest slap ever.

My personal favorite is my spanish teacher will either let the class through stuff at him or sprint over and lift up his desk while he is sitting in it, and start yelling crazy things in spanish.
  • Reply 39 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by EthoX

Hmmmm - LeCreuset just at the LeCreuset-Outlet Store located in Burlington, NC, also on in SC too - not bad deals there either. :-) I purchased a nice BIG & DEEP fry pan to cook up some fried chicken-"southern style" of course, my family and I eat such unheathy food once a month. :-)

Yeah, we have a Le Creuset outlet now, about ten miles out of town, up the freeway. I bought all my small utensils there. But they still have the overhead costs of a building and employees; whereas mail order - no similar overhead.....so, you get the best deal going....at least from the company I was dealing with.
  • Reply 40 of 72
    Quote:

What is so good about them besides being heavy?

Teachers are different, but we have one that will hit your arm out from under you if it's proping your head so you end up face planting the desk. Others will let you sleep, and there is always the ruler slamming against the desk besides you so that it's the loudest slap ever.

My personal favorite is my spanish teacher will either let the class through stuff at him or sprint over and lift up his desk while he is sitting in it, and start yelling crazy things in spanish.

Well, the cast-iron retains and distributes the heat evenly, so you can use lower cooking temperatures. Especially good for things that need to be simmered for a long while with a lid.

About sleeping students - studies in the last two years have shown that many teenagers are sleep-deprived (American ones, anyway). The studies have said teen metabolism is a bit weird, and that it is physically natural for them to be awake late at night. Having to get up early for school deprives them of much-needed sleep. Ideally, schools for teenagers should start around 10 A.M. If they did, the students would be better-rested, healthier, and would learn more. (I know I would thrive with a 10 am start time. hahaha) ......So, though I do wake them up, I always feel sorry for them. I'm just as sleep-deprived as they are. Sigh.