Did Bush go AWOL or was it desertion?

Comments

• Reply 121 of 152
    fishdocfishdoc Posts: 189member
    Anyone who does not recognize Blue Shift as a troll is not paying attention.

The others arguing that side are at least sincere.

Fish
  • Reply 122 of 152
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    Pretzlegate!?

What's the real story?!

Was he trying to pop 10 pills at a time like Limbaugh?
  • Reply 123 of 152
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

Pretzlegate!?

What's the real story?!

Was he trying to pop 10 pills at a time like Limbaugh?

The truth is out there.
  • Reply 124 of 152
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

The truth is out there.

Ah, so he blacks out when his alien masters are downloading new instructions....
  • Reply 125 of 152
    Bush is a Draconian/Reptilian!
  • Reply 126 of 152
    Quote:

Bush is a Draconian/Reptilian!

Bah.

He's totally a grey.
  • Reply 127 of 152
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Bah.

He's totally a grey.

• Reply 128 of 152
    And there you have it.

I win.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 129 of 152
    Quote:

And there you have it.

I win.

Cheers

Scott

Huh. Well, it's nice to have a thread wrap up so nicely...or has it?
  • Reply 130 of 152
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Huh. Well, it's nice to have a thread wrap up so nicely...or has it?

GAH!!!! YES!! IT'S WRAPPED UP!!!

I WIN!!! BOW DOWN BEFORE ME!!!

Just don't bow so close, and quit looking at me like that. I'm all for don't ask, don't tell, but hey, listen, I know my victory over the various evil-doers who hate freedom (of the press) here has left me all a-glow, but please, regardless of how much of a turn-on you find that, avert your eyes.

Show a little respect.
  • Reply 131 of 152
    Quote:

GAH!!!! YES!! IT'S WRAPPED UP!!!

I WIN!!! BOW DOWN BEFORE ME!!!

Just don't bow so close, and quit looking at me like that. I'm all for don't ask, don't tell, but hey, listen, I know my victory over the various evil-doers who hate freedom (of the press) here has left me all a-glow, but please, regardless of how much of a turn-on you find that, avert your eyes.

Show a little respect.

(Backing away rapidly)

You bet Mr. Midwinter Sir, I'll.... just.... be..... (bolts for door)
  • Reply 132 of 152
    Is that bob dole's body in the photo... he's always holding a pen.

I think it must be a hoax.

Or the reptilians.
  • Reply 133 of 152
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

The Bush-AWOL yarn is as fictional as this photo.
  • Reply 134 of 152
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

The Bush-AWOL yarn is as fictional as this photo.

well, the burden of proof as to its fiction status (the Bush AWOL not the photo) seems to be up to you
  • Reply 135 of 152
    Yeah... how about that military record... it's so detailed and full of commendations... a shining record of capability and talent.

Oh that's right.. it's never been released.
  • Reply 136 of 152
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    From this article about the AWOL issue.

Quote:

THE TORN DOCUMENT....So what's the deal with the George Bush AWOL story? There are a million tedious details, but as near as I can tell here's the nub of the whole thing.

Bush joined the Texas Air National Guard in 1968 and in May 1972 asked for a transfer to Alabama because he wanted to work on a political campaign there. His transfer was approved and off to Alabama he went. The problem is that he doesn't seem to have actually performed any of his required guard duty either in Alabama or after he returned to Texas. He just blew it off. There are several bits of evidence for this:

? His chronological service record shows no duty between May 1972 and October 1973.

? Bush was supposedly in Alabama between May 1972 and November 1972, but the commanding officer of the Alabama unit says he doesn't remember Bush ever showing up. "Had he reported in, I would have had some recall, and I do not," he said. "I had been in Texas, done my flight training there. If we had had a first lieutenant from Texas, I would have remembered."

? In August 1972 Bush was suspended from flying because he never showed up for his required annual physical.

? Bush supposedly returned to Texas in November 1972, but the annual effectiveness report from his Texas unit that covers his entire period of service from May 1972 through May 1973 says "Lt. Bush has not been observed at this unit during the period of the report."

? Case closed, right? Bush was AWOL. And for normal people at least, this would have been a serious problem, prompting an official investigation and a transfer to active duty, or possibly even a dishonorable discharge.

? But wait. Although there are no records showing that he attended drills in Alabama, there is one piece of evidence demonstrating that Bush showed up for drills after he returned to Texas: the infamous "torn document." Here it is:

Quote:

This document supposedly records Bush's attendance record in Texas from May 1972 to May 1973. However, the astute observer will note several things about this document:

It is strategically torn along its left edge.

There is no name on the document, only a single letter: W. Does it say "1LT BUSH GEORGE" just before the initial? Maybe, but the page has been torn so there's no way to tell.

The Social Security number is blacked out.

The tear eliminates the year and month of all the dates. (The date at the bottom right is just a note added by a reporter.)

In other words, there's really no evidence that this document refers to George W. Bush or even that it refers to the period 1972-73. But it's even worse than that: it turns out that this document wasn't even part of Bush's original service file.

• Reply 137 of 152
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2004/2/8/204549/8522

Great analysis of Bush's guard credibility problem.

Why could Bush just check out during wartime and go to business school? And the Guardsmen in Iraq who should be done already but because of the Bush Stop Loss order can't?

Depends on who daddy is.
  • Reply 138 of 152
    http://www.tompaine.com/feature.cfm/ID/3671

the most concise summary of the AWOL issue so far.
  • Reply 139 of 152
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

I'm sure if me or Scott were in the National Guard and didn't show up when we were asked to during an 8 month timespan... we would be at the least considered AWOL... and if during wartime... a deserter...

This is where you are entirely incorrect. If you are asked to do something, you have a choice to do it or not do it. Even in the military. So if you are asked and refuse to do something you've done nothing wrong, and are certainly not AWOL.

However, if someone is trying to get a hold of you to ask you if you'd do something and nobody can find you, and you don't have permission to be gone, you are indeed AWOL.
  • Reply 140 of 152
    http://www.calpundit.com/archives/003220.html

here's another developement.

Was Bush knocked down to ARF status? And what did he do to actually fulfill his requirements after 1972?