how long should i wait?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
to buy a G5? idealy, i would wait for the new line to be released and then buy a rev a 2.0 for a reduced price, but its getting ridiculous. im seriously tired of waiting. and macconnection is having a deal where they give you a gig of ram for free if you buy a single 1.8. i dont know what to do.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by goofbol16

to buy a G5? idealy, i would wait for the new line to be released and then buy a rev a 2.0 for a reduced price, but its getting ridiculous. im seriously tired of waiting. and macconnection is having a deal where they give you a gig of ram for free if you buy a single 1.8. i dont know what to do.

It's too close to a release. Just wait. I know it'll be hard, but it's for the best. If it's not tomorrow it's almost guaranteed to be next Tuesday.

You've waited this long. Just wait a little longer.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    What about PowerBooks? I'm going to be in the market for one very soon here... when did they last update them?
  • Reply 3 of 45
    I'd expect PowerBooks in May

With all the recent software updates I expect PowerMacs...today.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by dviant

What about PowerBooks? I'm going to be in the market for one very soon here... when did they last update them?

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
  • Reply 5 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

With all the recent software updates I expect PowerMacs...today.

oh how i hope youre right. i cant take this waiting anymore (actually i can, but it hurts )
  • Reply 6 of 45
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Once a product is past 10-12 weeks into it's life cycle, I say leave it alone. If it's for business use, and business is paying for it, then that doesn't matter so much. For personal use, if you have a machine that's doing the job, mac or PC, then wait.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    Will Feb 3rd bring the 3Ghz chips into the Powermac line?....
  • Reply 8 of 45
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Well, no new hardware updates today.

I don't see anything this month.

iPod is king right now.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

Well, no new hardware updates today.

I don't see anything this month.

iPod is king right now.

It could still happen today. I give up after 12 PM EST
  • Reply 10 of 45
    Don't wait. The G5, especially the dual, has enough power to do anything you can dream up, for years to come.

If you need more power, clustering G5 Xserves together is the way to go.

Don't let anyone tell you that a few more megahertz is going to be significantly better. Maybe on a single, but not a dual.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Some think PM updates are likely this week; others think March is more likely.

Meanwhile, I can't picture prices on the single 1.8's going much lower than they are. They will simply get sold out. That's a great deal at MacConnection ($1699 or $1849 minus $150 rebate)... thanks for the pointer, I may order it myself!
  • Reply 12 of 45
    http://www.macosrumors.com/ reports the following:

"New PowerMac G5s may shortly follow the 10.3.3 release. Several developers have reported to Rumors that their discussions with Apple about 10.3.3 build 7F24 turned up hints that 10.3.3 may include a considerable chunk of code specifically intended to add support for the forthcoming PMG5s. Apparently, once the update ships, new PowerMacs at up to Dual 2.6GHz may not be far behind."

Just a little bit longer, my friend.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bedrock22

New PowerMac G5s may shortly follow the 10.3.3 release. Several developers have reported to Rumors that their discussions with Apple about 10.3.3 build 7F24 turned up hints that 10.3.3 may include a considerable chunk of code specifically intended to add support for the forthcoming PMG5s.[/B]

What is more common is that the update is released after a hardware announcement.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    If you need it, then buy it... Geeeessshhh...
  • Reply 15 of 45
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

If you need it, then buy it... Geeeessshhh...

I nominate that for a FH sticky.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    What a wonderful thread... I'm just shocked that nobody else thought to post this type of though provoking question before now. Thumbs up my good man thumbs up.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

What a wonderful thread... I'm just shocked that nobody else thought to post this type of though provoking question before now. Thumbs up my good man thumbs up.

Add too the fact that he actually registered just to do it, that gives him another thumb up!
  • Reply 18 of 45
    tmantman Posts: 66member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fresco

Will Feb 3rd bring the 3Ghz chips into the Powermac line?....

NO
  • Reply 19 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

It could still happen today. I give up after 12 PM EST

Holding breath.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by bedrock22

http://www.macosrumors.com/ reports the following:

"New PowerMac G5s may shortly follow the 10.3.3 release. Several developers have reported to Rumors that their discussions with Apple about 10.3.3 build 7F24 turned up hints that 10.3.3 may include a considerable chunk of code specifically intended to add support for the forthcoming PMG5s. Apparently, once the update ships, new PowerMacs at up to Dual 2.6GHz may not be far behind."

Just a little bit longer, my friend.

Finally, a voice of reason.