how long should i wait?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    You did not just use the word "reason" to describe MOSR?!? Heresy!
  • Reply 22 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by dviant

You did not just use the word "reason" to describe MOSR?!? Heresy!

Yeah, and whoever clicks on their "PayPal Donate" button must be insane....
  • Reply 23 of 45
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Add too the fact that he actually registered just to do it, that gives him another thumb up!

Another supporting episode for my idea- no starting threads until you get to 100. Imagine the dupe threads we'd save, not wasting them on newbies that want to see their name in pixels.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

It could still happen today. I give up after 12 PM EST

So, tuesday came and went, and no new G5.

This just adds to my feeling that IBM wisely chose to separate the move from 130nm to 90nm from other process improvements, internal redesign etc. to achive higher frequencies. The next step then will be to optimize the 90nm process to up yields and max frequency. Based on this, we will see faster G5s in mid-March to mid-April and the 3Ghz iteration in fall.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Well, no new hardware today either.

I stick with my prediction of no new hardware (computer wise) this month.

iPod is king right now.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

Well, no new hardware today either.

I stick with my prediction of no new hardware (computer wise) this month.

iPod is king right now.

Man I love my iPod.

Anyway, let's hope you are wrong. I'd be willing to buy a refurb 2.0 dualie to if it will karmically enable Apple to release faster machines.... You know someone is going to get stung by that upgrade cycle, may as well be me.

As long as G5 XServe cluster nodes aren't about to be refreshed when I'm ready to buy. That's a different matter, entirely. But I guess they need to actually be shipping before I need worry about that one.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    The smart money is on waiting until after IBM has done their presentation on the 90nm 970. Once that is out of the way I think Apple will feel free to offer faster G5's.

Don't be surprised though if the first announcement is not a G5 tower but a new laptop. This is where Apple is hurting the most right now and with ATI's recent announcement there is a very real possibility of an improved PB hitting store shelves.

I'm optimistic though as I suspect that Apple will be releasing alot of new hardware Real Soon Now. Things are slowly falling in place for Apple to have a very good year.

As far as the waiting get a grip! If you really need a new Mac buy it now. On the other hand if you don't you would be wise to wait.

Thanks

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by goofbol16

to buy a G5? idealy, i would wait for the new line to be released and then buy a rev a 2.0 for a reduced price, but its getting ridiculous. im seriously tired of waiting. and macconnection is having a deal where they give you a gig of ram for free if you buy a single 1.8. i dont know what to do.

• Reply 28 of 45
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Buying a G5 is a long term investment, so I am going to wait. I am really struggling with me B & W G3, but I think a 90nm G5 is going to be worth the wait, less heat = less noise and it is likely to be faster.

I was surprised that the G5 was released with only 1 optical drive, i wonder if a 90nm chip will enable them to re-design the case to accommodate two optical drives.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by machem

Man I love my iPod.

Anyway, let's hope you are wrong. I'd be willing to buy a refurb 2.0 dualie to if it will karmically enable Apple to release faster machines.... You know someone is going to get stung by that upgrade cycle, may as well be me.

thats where i am too im ready to buy but i know that the day after i do they'll release updated g5's! so im trying to wait as well. it was really hard to pass up that refurb 2.0 last week at the applestore for 2399.00 tho...
  • Reply 30 of 45
    "it was really hard to pass up that refurb 2.0 last week at the applestore for 2399.00"

I couldn't either and didn't...
  • Reply 31 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by wizard69

The smart money is on waiting until after IBM has done their presentation on the 90nm 970. Once that is out of the way I think Apple will feel free to offer faster G5's.

Dave

My prediction- unscientific- not until the Holiday Season 2004 - or at least at a Mac World "you pick the one"
  • Reply 32 of 45
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac_ken_Cheez

My prediction- unscientific- not until the Holiday Season 2004 - or at least at a Mac World "you pick the one"

Which holiday?
  • Reply 33 of 45
    As of right now there are NO refurbished G5's available on the apple store. Could this mean an update is in the near future?
  • Reply 34 of 45
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

As of right now there are NO refurbished G5's available on the apple store. Could this mean an update is in the near future?

I think what it means is that Apple doesn't have any more refurb units to sell.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    Quote:

There are "new and unopened" single 1.8 GHz G5's available at the Apple Store as well.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Why not a release tomorrow, considering Apple usually doesnt leave the same homepage up for too long...usually.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    They have released on Thursdays in the past, but I think they want to ride the Pepsi+iTunes thing for a week before getting back to "regular business." I think we'll see *something* next Tuesday. I don't know what they'd be waiting for if they didn't.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Why not a release tomorrow, considering Apple usually doesnt leave the same homepage up for too long...usually.

Well, they did recently have that stupid AOL/iTunes one up for over two weeks.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    i'd have to say "next tuesday" is a CONFIRMED statement around here!
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Check this schiz-nut~

I sold my iBook over ebay last week with anticipation of a new G5 PowerMac revision or at least a 20" G5 iMac. Neither of those came to be...

So now I'm Mac less and stuck in the school's computer lab on a WinTel. Oh well.