how long should i wait?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    There are gobs of people selling 1.8 single G5s for $1699 to $1749. Those updates aren't coming for another month.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wizard69

Don't be surprised though if the first announcement is not a G5 tower but a new laptop. This is where Apple is hurting the most right now

Not in terms of sales. Last quarter was a record for PowerBooks; they sold almost as many of those as they did PowerMacs!

Sales-wise, the desktops are sagging. Yes, even the G5s. They'll need to be refreshed, yes, but Apple is probably also trying to get a handle on the long-term trend away from desktops.
  • Reply 43 of 45
    I've been waiting since November for a G5 update, my G3 400 is on it's last legs. I'm prepared to wait until the end of next month, hopefully the new G5s are out by then.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    I waited...watched...and lurked waiting for new G5s...or a new G5 iMac to run my new Adobe Creative Suite.

Finally...I couldn't pass up the deal on single 1.8 with a GB of RAM and the glorious 20-inch monitor, with trade-in (I have a great local dealer) and the deal, it's only about $200 more than a 20-inch iMac, with the same HD and RAM....and I can add a lot more RAM, PCI-X cards and another HD should I desire. Plus, it keeps my cold office a lot warmer.

I love this beast...and if Steve comes out tomorrow and announces dual 3.6 G6 for $999...I'll live. If the increase turns out to be more like dual 2.6, with the entry model going from 1.6 to 2.0 gHz, I'll be feeling fine.

In short...I bought and lived. You can, too. Don't let MOSR make you wait with a Performa. Unless, of course, someone is dying to buy my old PM 6100 A/V, the first of the great PowerMacs....now suitable as a pizza box stand.
  • Reply 45 of 45
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    The lesson of this thread:

If you need to buy a new Mac right now, go ahead and buy it. If/when new hardware comes out, your Mac will be just as fast as it was before. If you are fine with the hardware you have and are okay with waiting, then do so. Understand, however, that you might be waiting a while, depending on what your future needs are.