american vs. british english - the most hilarious ...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sir Mac o' the Isles

Mr Billybobski! How are ye?

I'm no sure if your question was tae me or the maist glorious and noble Powerdoc,Mrs VoxBarbara or someone else. But for my part I tend tae juke aroond a bit frae corner tae corner o' Scotland; much like the way (but on a larger scale o' coorse) the incomparable Scottish fitba' team jukes the ball frae corner tae corner o' the pitch causing uproar and consternation tae freend and foe alike.

Super large LOL
  • Reply 42 of 82
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

No wonder people try to smuggle them out of the country.

One guy got caught with a cockatoo stuffed down the front of his trousers.

Aqua.

Oh, this killed me, it really did. HAHAHAHA!!!

Can't you just picture that???

Thanks for the great laugh!
  • Reply 43 of 82
    I was taught english at a british school so I grew up calling erasers rubbers.

I was working on an assignment with some american folks here and I said can you pass the rubber and got some strange looks.

oh well....

I'm quite fond of the word wellington boots though...
  • Reply 44 of 82
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

Oh, this killed me, it really did. HAHAHAHA!!!

Can't you just picture that???

Thanks for the great laugh!

No worries Carol.

I think if you ever came to Australia, you probably be wondering how on earth anyone gets any work done?

We're either swimming, surfing, chasing crocodiles..D'dja see that one crikeys..." having BBQ's, getting stonkered ( pissed ) or stuffing Cockies down out pants...

Anything for a laugh...

That's why we call Australia " The Land of the long weekend "

Aqua
  • Reply 45 of 82
    Quote:

No worries Carol.

I think if you ever came to Australia, you probably be wondering how on earth anyone gets any work done?

We're either swimming, surfing, chasing crocodiles..D'dja see that one crikeys..." having BBQ's, getting stonkered ( pissed ) or stuffing Cockies down out pants...

Anything for a laugh...

That's why we call Australia " The Land of the long weekend "

Aqua

Australia sounds fantastic. I can hardly wait to go there. But I live in the dry west, so any of the parched, dusty places have NO appeal at all for me.

The scenery in New Zealand looks incredible, so I think I'd wanna visit there first. Whaddaya think, eh?

I hear Capetown is amazing. Have you been there? Why do people seem to like it so much? They always say they like it, but they never say why...

Btw, I thought your recipe sounded yummy. I love rice, broth and cheese. I keep trying to make rice the way our cook made it when I was a kid. Still haven't gotten close.
  • Reply 46 of 82
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

The scenery in New Zealand looks incredible, so I think I'd wanna visit there first. Whaddaya think, eh?

I hear Capetown is amazing. Have you been there? Why do people seem to like it so much? They always say they like it, but they never say why...

Capetown??? In NEw Zealand????
  • Reply 47 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mars

I have only seen a galah at a bird show once and they were around $2500 USD.

Cripes! I've got about 2 dozen in the back yard. You can have the lot for 50 bucks but you'll have to catch them yourself. I can also do you a good deal on white and black cockies and rainbow lorikeets.

Aqua, may I say, you are on FIRE mate. We win. We've got the best language.

Suffer in your jocks the rest of ya.
  • Reply 48 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

Capetown??? In NEw Zealand????

Well spotted Giaguara.

Can't resist, can't resist......

Ok so to Australians and New Zealanders thongs are things you wear on your feet (aka flip flops?). What you call thongs we call G-strings. Anyway, favorite Kiwi joke that nobody but the Australians and Kiwis will get....

Q. How do you know when your house has been burgled by a New Zealander?

A. Your thongs are missing and your cat's been raped.
  • Reply 49 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

Q. How do you know when your house has been burgled by a New Zealander?

A. Your thongs are missing and your cat's been raped.

topic gone bad, no?

australia is the realm o' bustification, isn't it`?
  • Reply 50 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

topic gone bad, no?

australia is the realm o' bustification, isn't it`?

Sorry. It's an obligation of Australian citizenship to take the piss out of New Zealanders whenever the opportunity presents itself.

But not entirely off topic because, come to think of it, I don't know how poms translate "thong"? My alternate definition was US.
  • Reply 51 of 82
    Quote:

Well spotted

The last few world travellers with whom I have spoken have praised the beauties of Rarotonga, Capetown, and Valparaiso. I didn't think I would have to prove I know where these places are when casually mentioning them on a messageboard. Like when one says 'Rio', they shouldn't have to break out an atlas, point to it on the map, and say, "See, I know where this is, and I do in fact know the whole name."

But then, some people have little to contribute on messageboards but finding fault with other peoples' posts. Sad, really.

At one time, my dad was actually considering taking a job in Capetown. He is a geophysicist. So I might have actually lived there, had he made that choice. Five different people have told me it's beautiful, so it really must be.

And...I think it's safe to say that I know where it is!
  • Reply 52 of 82
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    the most funny brit/amer english mixup i've been involved in came with the word "pants". apparently across the water, blokes tend to refer to the under clothes as "pants", where on this side "pants" is a more common variation of "trousers". so, a group of 8 or 10 guys and i are going to perform this hilarious ruffle. about half of our group were swedish, but two guys in particular were born in the canary islands (yet of swedish decent), and schooled in britain (or the evil isle i like to call it-- i gotta say, its really weird talking to a swede with a swedish accent, and another swede with a new york accent [don't know where he got that], another swede born in spain with a british accent). the escapade was going to be us slowly (over the course of 30 seconds) stripping, nonchalantly, to our underwear. so we go over the plan, on queue we do the shirts, then the pants. the canary'd swedes thought this was hilarious, but probably over the top. we insisted that not taking off our pants would defeat the purpose of the skit. we went back and forth explaining, and well, let's just say that the sketch was hilarious.
  • Reply 53 of 82
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Well spotted Giaguara.

Ok so to Australians and New Zealanders thongs are things you wear on your feet (aka flip flops?). What you call thongs we call G-strings.

You know, I grew up with the same pair of definitions in Washington State, USA. West Coast, dontchaknow. When I moved to North Carolina, it made for some interesting misunderstandings.

"We're headed to the beach, wanna join?"

"Sure! Lemme go grab my thongs."

"Uh... dude... you don't want to scare the kids."

"Huh?"
  • Reply 54 of 82
    Well Carol.

I have always loved dry places.

In fact my ideal landscape is one that is filled with desert mountains abutting the ocean and with the sun setting on the water..

Does that make me a Californian ?

Aqua
  • Reply 55 of 82
    Quote:

Well Carol.

I have always loved dry places.

In fact my ideal landscape is one that is filled with desert mountains abutting the ocean and with the sun setting on the water..

Does that make me a Californian ?

Aqua

Hi Aqua - Well, desert mountains next to the ocean are one thing; but desert mountains next to the desert are quite another.

When I was a kid, I lived in west Texas for some years. The landscape (of the countryside) was completely flat. Completely dirt. The odd tumbleweed. Yeeechhh!!! Dust everywhere when the wind kicked up.

I still live in the west. Beige is the color of dirt. Beige is everywhere. I can't stand beige anymore. Beige houses, beige carpets, beige walls, beige countryside. Oh god. My most fervent wish is to eliminate beige forever from my life. Give me GREEN GREEN GREEN - plants, trees, grass - lush, verdant, flourishing. No dirt. No beige.
  • Reply 56 of 82
    Beige...

Sounds Khaki..( joke )

At least Australia is filled with eye dazzling colours.

I dream of beige.

Aqua :
  • Reply 57 of 82
    Quote:

... Give me GREEN GREEN GREEN - plants, trees, grass - lush, verdant, flourishing. No dirt. No beige.

Quote:

Beige [...] I dream of beige.

Aqua :

My humble heart stands with you both. Me, i much prefer juicy green over beige (except it is an spoiled apple, that could juice my pants too).
  • Reply 58 of 82
    I got off a plane from Cape Town, the parliamentary capital of South Africa, and not New Zealand, 24 hours ago.

If you ignore the fact that it's ringed with shacks housing millions of people it is indeed one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

It's beautiful because you have to go over a mountain to get to the beach and because the light is like, er, solid gold.
  • Reply 59 of 82
    One thing about the Brits that I find peculiar is how they pronounce words ending in "a". It is not "Americuh", rather they say "Americerr" or "Cuberr". I sometimes here people from New England saying it this way as well. Hell, sometimes I catch myself doing it. Is there any real reason why Brits do this?
  • Reply 60 of 82
    This thread just keeps getting funnier and funnier. (duck Hassan, duck now)

See Carol, where I'm sitting, the green hills abutt the sea and the sun is just about to rise over the Pacific Ocean at which point sea and sky will begin their daily battle to claim who is the bluest. A battle neither of them can ever win. It's rather idyllic. I guess that's why they called it Eden.

No Kickaha, I didn't know that. Interesting. Wonder how that came about. But yeah, I've experienced the misunderstanding with flip flopping Americans just as you describe.

My sister, who's a lawyer/attorney, had a similarly embarrassing problem in the States. We usually call lawyers solicitors. The US friends she was staying with let her hang herself for a week or so before finally explaining why people kept giving her weird looks when she told them what she did for a living.