american vs. british english - the most hilarious ...

Comments

• Reply 61 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

We usually call lawyers solicitors. The US friends she was staying with let her hang herself for a week or so before finally explaining why people kept giving her weird looks when she told them what she did for a living.

ahhhhhh ... for christ sake ... hahaha - thank you very much indeed ...
  • Reply 62 of 82
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

See Carol, where I'm sitting, the green hills abutt the sea and the sun is just about to rise over the Pacific Ocean at which point sea and sky will begin their daily battle to claim who is the bluest. A battle neither of them can ever win. It's rather idyllic. I guess that's why they called it Eden.

Give me the latitude and longitude and I'll be right over.

I crave what you have. \

Carol

PS However, I suppose I really should mention that I do actually live in a world-class resort area. heh.
  • Reply 63 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

I got off a plane from Cape Town, the parliamentary capital of South Africa, and not New Zealand...

Sigh. It never ends.
  • Reply 64 of 82
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    It doesn't matter..I know what you meant..
  • Reply 65 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

It doesn't matter..I know what you meant..

Kiss
  • Reply 66 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

Kiss

THE END

... Credits roll ...

and now to something very different. (to be cont'd)
  • Reply 67 of 82
    Quote:

This thread just keeps getting funnier and funnier. ...

you want fun? there you are crazychester.

This woman rushes to see her doctor, looking very much worried and all strung out. She rattles off, "Doctor, take a look at me. When I woke up this morning, I looked at myself in the mirror and saw my hair all wiry and frazzled up, my skin was all wrinkled and pasty, my eyes were bloodshot and bugging out, and I had this corpse-like look on my face! What's wrong with me, Doctor?"

The doctor looks her over for a couple of minutes, then calmly says, "Well, I can tell you that there ain't nothing wrong with your eyesight ..."
  • Reply 68 of 82
    Oh Vox Barbara now you're just making me paranoid! That's exactly what I look like just about now [insert smiley that doesn't exist with eyes narrowing suspiciously]. Have you smuggled an iSight into my place? (Chester takes time out to search house for hidden camera). Can't find it but when I do you'll be sorry.

Fortunately, when the Geisterstunde rolls round I turn back into a pumpkin.

Anyway I'm still laughing about the world resort thing. You got me there Carol. World resort Eden ain't. Power outtages are so common the local supermarket has it's own back-up generator (nothing like grocery shopping by candle power!) and if you want mobile phone reception, sorry, but you'll have to walk to the top of the hill.

Anymore remote and I'd be doing a Bogucki (reference to American Robert Bogucki who went wandering in the Simpson Desert to find himself.......and got lost. It's OK. We found him, gave him a couple of bananas, let a TV crew torment him for a day or two and then packed him off home with a stern warning not to do it again).
  • Reply 69 of 82
    Quote:

Anyway I'm still laughing about the world resort thing. You got me there Carol. World resort Eden ain't. Power outtages are so common the local supermarket has it's own back-up generator (nothing like grocery shopping by candle power!) and if you want mobile phone reception, sorry, but you'll have to walk to the top of the hill.

Anymore remote and I'd be doing a Bogucki (reference to American Robert Bogucki who went wandering in the Simpson Desert to find himself.......and got lost. It's OK. We found him, gave him a couple of bananas, let a TV crew torment him for a day or two and then packed him off home with a stern warning not to do it again).

Hi Chester -

No problem about the power outtages. Eden sounds great to me. I used to backpack a lot, and have no objection to living close to the earth and the essence of things.

Though I live in a world-class resort area (five stars!), I have never sampled the 'luxury' of those five-star places. I could - but just haven't gotten around to it. Know what I mean???

I would love living without a phone at all! I love camping in the pine forests of my state - cooking gourmet meals on a two-burner propane stove; reading, writing, thinking; writing songs to sing while I play my guitar. The beauty of the surroundings is what makes my soul take flight. That, and peace and quiet. The sound of the waves, the birds, the crickets. Nothing is more lovely than nature in its purest form. No mobile phones needed.
  • Reply 70 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

The sound of the waves, the birds, the crickets.

And the sound of Mooses mating, Koalas grunting, Galahs making whoopee..

Oh and don't forget the blood sucking Vampire bugs we have.

So you better pack your own flamethrower...
  • Reply 71 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

And the sound of Mooses mating, Koalas grunting, Galahs making whoopee..

Oh and don't forget the blood sucking Vampire bugs we have.

So you better pack your own flamethrower...

I thought it was supposed to be Eden!!!???
  • Reply 72 of 82
    Well Carol,

I need not remind you that the original Eden was filled with Apples.

But nowadays most people are forced to live in a Microsoft jungle.......

And we all know it is filled with bugs...

Aqua
  • Reply 73 of 82
    Quote:

[insert smiley that doesn't exist with eyes narrowing suspiciously].

hear mod could we just have such one, please

Quote:

... when the Geisterstunde rolls round I turn back into a pumpkin.

BTW, where did you get that from?
  • Reply 74 of 82
    Quote:

That's exactly what I look like just about now...

i will keep po-faced.
  • Reply 75 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

BTW, where did you get that from?

A German guy I used to kick around with at university taught it to me. And in the 20 or so years that have passed since then I am proud to say I have dropped that word on every German or German speaker I have come in contact with just to get their reaction. Which always seems to be pretty much along the lines of "how the hell do you know that?"

Anyway, as using it again around here would be too much like repeating myself, you are the first and last to have the honour Vox Barbara. It's a wonderful word. Strange the gifts you're given along the road sometimes.

I also have one for Giaguara (I'm assuming she speaks Italian). But as it's a whole sentence, I'm saving it up for a special occasion. 8)
  • Reply 76 of 82
    Quote:

...Anyway, as using it again around here would be too much like repeating myself, you are the first and last to have the honour Vox Barbara. It's a wonderful word.

My honour, sir

Actually, i am pretty much stretching HOW you gonna to pronounce it

There is another german word which always pops up to me, when i face the american government (and german and many others) these times. It is Gruselkabinett. It is a term taken from panopticum. But use it very occasionaly
  • Reply 77 of 82
    empty message, just did a mistake, ... er ...
  • Reply 78 of 82
    Oh f**king hell! If I'd known AO was this much fun I'd have stopped by much sooner. I only came to hide out here because there are so many grumpy pants about over in The Main Game at the moment (I put it down to the lack of action - makes 'em all antsy).

Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara Gruselkabinett.

[/B]

Love it. Had to work for it though. Couldn't find it the first place I looked. I'll be trying that one out.

I have a friend whose German parents emigrated here after the war. She's since married a pom (yeah John Cleese and Fawlty Towers have a lot to answer for). In our profession, it's traditional for women to keep their maiden names. Plus she didn't seem the type to give up her own name.

When I asked her one day why she'd done it, she patiently explained to me that her maiden name was Teitz. When she married, she welcomed with open arms the chance to put all the "Show us your Teitz" jokes behind her.

Almost drags this thread kicking and screaming back on track, doesn't it?

Almost but not quite.

PS Spelling phonetically, my guess at the pronunciation of Gruselkabinett would be something along the lines of Grooselkharbinett.
  • Reply 79 of 82
    Quote:

** *uc**** ****!

"Show us your Teitz"

LOL

Quote:

PS Spelling phonetically, my guess at the pronunciation of Gruselkabinett would be something along the lines of Grooselkharbinett.

yeah, Grooselkharbinett seems to be rrrrrright. From a phonetical point of view at least

That kicks and pushs (or rather spread?) the utter thread to an other direction indeed, -- perhaps freely german integration into standard american speech or something like that, i am completly muddled, don't worry, it is a state i love I almost always pretty much stunned to hear german linguistic adoptions an' adaptations in american language. I almost always fetch some funky fun with that ... not to mention kindergarten or kitsch.

best
  • Reply 80 of 82
    I used to live Dundee in scotland it I had trouble understand the weegi (glasgow) accent It took me weeks to get my head round the whole scottish accent. I also have a friend in Halifax in Yorkshire in england and they have inhability to say H which is an odd thing when you town prononced Alifacks. My mate went to San Fran and they all thought he was an aussie, go figure. Im from north England Lancaster, and we tried our selves to get rid of our god forsaken northen slang I have got there really and it is really quite tame thank god. I now sound like a watered down middle class Cumbrian from the Lake district. Ok thats all i need to say

ahh yeah and all you yanks who think that the word pants is american is sadly wrong. In the north west lancaster we have always pronounced pants and not trousers so someone from my hone town must have thought of that

PANTS ARE LANCASTRIAN