The Swingle Singers

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    Um, whether classical music is boring or not isn't something that can be absolutely true or absolutely false. The degree to which someone likes or dislikes something (and their reasons for feeling that way) are 100 percent subjective.

Steve, if someone says something that doesn't go along with your opinion, what they said is patently false? Why do you insist on being critical of people who don't share the exact same tastes as you?
  • Reply 62 of 64
    It's not that classical music isn't good, I just don't find it all that interesting. When I listen to music I want to get into it, I want to feel the energy from it. I'm into strong lyrics, ridiculous leads and solos, pick slides and stuff like that. But that doesn't mean that if I tried to get you to listen to like Mötley Crüe or Converge or something from my iTunes library and you thought that it didn't have enough feeling, or that it was too busy, or that the vocals were too rough or something, and you found yourself unable to want to listen to it, but gave them credit for being good musicians and songwriters, that I should jump down your throat about not spending enough time to 'really enjoy' it or understand why it's great. I know you apologized and all that, I'm just hoping that you understand why there was a misunderstanding about it.
  • Reply 63 of 64
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Classical and 'popular' music are two very different beasts.

My missus is an opera singer (she hates the Swingles btw) and she would never listen to classical as 'background' - takes too much energy she says. same with Shakespeare - you need to put a lot into it to get anything out, and not just energy.

Many people can't give that attention but even those who can don't necessarily want to do it all the time, sometimes they just want to kick-back. Nothing is 'better' - it's what you want at the time.

There is plenty of classical music that can listened to in the background. Heck there is plenty that was written expressly for that purpose.

Classical music and popular music are not different. They are the same beast reflecting two different times. Our popular music today must compete with computer animated special effect sequences. So we are lucky if a very good piece of music can demand 4 minutes of our time.

When the operas your wife speaks about were first running, they could take hours of our time because well, there wasn't much else to compete against or have fight for that time.

Nick