New wave of bad ads

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
The ads changed again. More annoying than ever. At least you could move popups but these cover text!

See for yourself:

Bad ad #1

Bad ad #2

Bad ad #3

I know AI needs money, but is there perhaps a better ad server out there? \

Comments

• Reply 1 of 102
    Yours are covering up the forum... mine are pushing the forum to the left and squishing it... it's really annoying.
  • Reply 2 of 102
    We know, get used to having shitty ads on AI for the rest of eternity. We did something bad in a past life, I'm convinced of it. But you could just do what I did.

When I saw the new advertisements. I went and poured myself a glass of Whiskey. Then another, and another, and another...
  • Reply 3 of 102
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Now that you mention it I am already on my second glass of Kahlua.

Here is another for the collection:

EDIT: The collection grows here.
  • Reply 4 of 102
    But safari pop-up blocker was on *sobs* the pop up blocker was onnnnnn!!!!!!

*breaks down crying*
  • Reply 5 of 102
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Arg. I saw one, for MS LiveMeeting, and had Kasper squelch that. I didn't see the others.

I'll point him to this thread, and we'll get those whacked.

[edit: For the record:

-Amorph]
  • Reply 6 of 102
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Thanks a bunch, Amorph.
  • Reply 7 of 102
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Gah help me pith helmet away these stupid appleinsider hosted CDW ads!
  • Reply 8 of 102
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    http://www.oyunfabrikasi.com/nl/5/index2.htm

popped up on my windoze box and started dropping trojans all over the place. Thankfully my anti-virus intercepted it.

This kind of $hit might make me think twice about visiting AI again (at least using a peeeceee). I want AI to gain all the revenue it can from the excellent content (delivered by the participants, but hey) but a line has to be drawn in the sand when trojans are involved.

Please see if you can block this stuff or I might join Spymac.

naaah...... not really.
  • Reply 9 of 102
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    *hugs PithHelmet*

Don't look at me like that, on my site ads are OPTIONAL!
  • Reply 10 of 102
    Whoa! We have no ads on top now!

[edit: The ads are back. Oh, well, it was fun while it lasted. ]
  • Reply 11 of 102
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    My modified etc/hosts file must be doing a good job, because I haven't seen any of this stuff.
  • Reply 12 of 102
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Can AI have say-so, or specify, the types of ads they can, and will, accept? Banners are cool. Static ones or ones with GENTLY animated designs.

But can?t AI refuse or implement a guideline for any potential advertisers: ?...and no blinking, epilepsy-inducing shit and no crap covering up threads and, in general, pissing off visitors. Just make a normal, halfway professional-looking banner, for crying out loud!?

Worded more professionally, of course.

There are TONS of nice ads on here all the time. They don?t bother me. They just sit there and do their thing. If I?m interested, I?ll click. The CDW ads are nice-looking and sedate. But searing my retina or making it to where I can?t see the AI content...

Every once in a while, we?ll get this wave of ugly, obnoxious crap, out of the blue. Odd.
  • Reply 13 of 102
    I've run into this before, and essentially there are two problems. The first is that marketers would rather ask forgiveness than ask permission, and the second is that AI is about this >< big relative to the advertisers, and so there's a degree to which they don't really take the terms we set that seriously. We need them; they don't need us.

So, despite the fact that we do try to keep the ads as unobtrusive as ads will be, someone's always going to try something. You can always sneak your trojans into an ad server database and get them out onto a whole bunch of machines before the admins get around to blocking them.
  • Reply 14 of 102
    Just for the record, NO ADS!!! As of 11:16am CDT on Wednesday.
  • Reply 15 of 102
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I love the new Brawny & Quilted Northern ads. Makes me feel all warm and snuggly.
  • Reply 16 of 102
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

The ads changed again. More annoying than ever. At least you could move popups but these cover text!

See for yourself:

Bad ad #1

Bad ad #2

Bad ad #3

I know AI needs money, but is there perhaps a better ad server out there? \

yeah i thought they were fine with google...whats up with that!?!
  • Reply 17 of 102
    i'm not getting any ads with safari...
  • Reply 18 of 102
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Do anyone know how much ads like those here costs "per show"?
  • Reply 19 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Do anyone know how much ads like those here costs "per show"?

You (and we) aren't allowed to know.

It's totally hush-hush from the supreme overlords.
  • Reply 20 of 102
    is it a pay-per-view (successful page load) or pay-per-click(more hits to whatever site?)

or is that undisclosed as well? if so, by which method do banner ads *generally* work?