Windows source code leaked? Beginning of the end

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    The news is on CNet now, fresh with quotes from Microsoft (is this the same as the press release you mentioned Anders? The quotes, I mean). Still waiting for it to hit the mainstream non-tech press.
  • Reply 22 of 90
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by >_>

HURRAY!!!!!!!!!

- Xidius

NONONO

we all agree that windows is inferior...but, so many key infastructure runs on or is, on a high levle, teid to windows and the net, picture this, a mega worm is isolated to 1 city say, chicago, first, broadcast systems are effected - and water, windows comtrols some of those systems,and power, just imagine if alqida gets this code, the net goes down, sat com is gone, and everbody puts their head between their legs and kisses their members goodbye.

sorry to scare you but m$ and windows have america's balls in a vice, if they go down we are all screwed.
  • Reply 23 of 90
    http://news.com.com/2100-7349_3-5158...?tag=nefd_lede

Supposedly it was not the whole thing.. just a small fraction of all the code.
  • Reply 24 of 90
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 25 of 90
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    SOURCE CODE OMFG R0Xx0R!!!11!!1

CLICK IT TO VIEW IT FULL SIZE!!!

- Xidius
  • Reply 26 of 90
    nicely done

(btw, nice Shapeshifter theme)
  • Reply 27 of 90
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    The responsible criminal here for this isn't the mafia. It's Microsoft. How quickly we are misguided.
  • Reply 28 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by >_>

Did you make that? Thats pretty freakin funny.
  • Reply 29 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by >_>

It's funny because it's true!

haha...windows.
  • Reply 30 of 90
    time consuming...

but, it was worth it.
  • Reply 31 of 90
    This is a good thing for the industry as it will wake up some dull head CTOs into looking at alternatives for key infrastructure.

Windows is going downhill. They even made a custom version of XP for Thailand which sells for about 40$. It is a stripped down version of the operating system containing an office suite with reduced functionality. They did it in order to compete with Linux. The rest of the consumer base can continue to pay high prices to support such initiatives, mkay?

M$ has been sharing source with many goverments who have been asking third party evaluators to scrutinise the security and stuff. There is bound to be a leak with this procedure. It is good that Apple scrapped development of Rhapsody and went with Darwin and OS-X. At least Mac owners don't have to worry about these type of breaches.

On a note, Linux is opensource and no one is worried about it. Why is M$ so worried? Is it because others will learn tricks that will make their applications work better in Windows? Or is it because their security is so ****ed up that they are worried about breaches? I always thought security was more on the design side and to a lesser degree on the implementation side. Either way, hurray!!!

[For those of you who are worried, switch to Unix or Mac and get over it.]
  • Reply 32 of 90
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

[For those of you who are worried, switch to Unix or Mac and get over it.]

In case you didn't notice, most of us do use a Mac. In case you didn't notice, lots of stuff runs on windows. If it came crashing down, there would be mass chaos for a long time while IT departments hired competent people to make a switch over.
  • Reply 33 of 90
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

On a note, Linux is opensource and no one is worried about it. Why is M$ so worried? Is it because others will learn tricks that will make their applications work better in Windows? Or is it because their security is so ****ed up that they are worried about breaches? I always thought security was more on the design side and to a lesser degree on the implementation side.

Security is design and implementation. One of the most secure OS' on the planet, OpenBSD, is open source. It's secure because it's designed to be, because the open code makes finding and fixing flaws much easier, and because the maintainers are careful and deliberate to a degree that most commercial vendors(including Apple) would not tolerate. Ditto FreeBSD.

The release of Windows code is troubling because Windows is full of holes. Some of those holes are buried so deep in the OS that they're not something MS could just patch - if someone found a way to exploit Windows Messaging, that would be the end of Windows. They'd have to start over, literally, because the whole legacy of Windows applications depends on its fundamentally insecure behavior. Fixing it would break the whole thing.

Microsoft might be just about to find out exactly how worthless security though obscurity is. Unfortunately, millions of innocent people might end up paying dearly for their mistakes.
  • Reply 34 of 90
    Does anyone have any idea how this will affect encrypted information stored on windows servers... i.e. bank account, credit card info, records of stock etc.

I think Amorph is right, the real danger is not some worm bringing down the net, its organized criminals placing near undetectable trojans to relay sensitive information.

The damage that may be caused to home users is negligible, I hope enterprise sees this and takes appropriate action.

[shameless akamai plug]

hey enterprise users... move your critical systems to Akamai !

[/shameless akamai plug]
  • Reply 35 of 90
    Wait...MS agreed to give *China* unrestricted access to the Windows code, along with many other government/educational institutions?

Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but honestly I wouldn't suspect China first. In some aspects they're government is more sensible than ours (mind you, SOME, don't go shouting "communist") --- would be more afraid that our government would stage an attack and frame another government that had dealings with MS.
  • Reply 36 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

Does anyone have any idea how this will affect encrypted information stored on windows servers... i.e. bank account, credit card info, records of stock etc.

[/shameless akamai plug] [/B]

This is exactly what I was thinking.

I haven't used a windows computer in years and only use MS Office occasionally if I have to, however that doesn't mean that this potential disaster is not going to become a pain in my ass.

I INDIRECTLY rely on a lot of web based/MS based operations everyday when it comes to credit card transactions, ATMs, accessing web pages, etc. etc. etc.

I wouldn't mind if Microsoft felt a little pain, but I think that there is a larger potential for chaos that could hurt us all.
  • Reply 37 of 90
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    For Mac users, this is makes us giddy. For all of us with loans, houses, etc. I'll echo a_geer, this is worrisome. Fundamental pieces of The System is now on Windows. Telecomm and Utilities. Remember those BSOD screenshots of airport terminal schedules, ATMs and gas stations.

Not that funny...

Oh BTW, I don't think it was Windows, but the Northeast Blackout was exacerbated by buggy code.

Screed
  • Reply 38 of 90
    It was just mentioned on NBC News Early Morning.
  • Reply 39 of 90
    I should have reflected more on the state of the system in the US and Europe. It is a scary proposition in that case. For many of the Asian countries, we continue humping Linux. Thank goodness for poor economies.

While security needs to be looked at from both design and implementation, M$ did nothing to build security into the design of the system and focused only on the Windows user experience. It is like designing and building a donkey and then patching it up to make it run like a horse. (Ok, so I couldn't think of a quote for that one...)
  • Reply 40 of 90
    The hordes of Windows users:

m.