Windows source code leaked? Beginning of the end

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merovingian

The hordes of Windows users:

m.

no leak needed thats the way windows users input data almost every day.

"I have a head ache, darn win'doh's"
  • Reply 42 of 90
    Sorry - But I think this is great! - Let the Microsoft is doomed rumors fly!

I did I tell you I hate PC's?

• Reply 43 of 90
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    All your source code are belong to us.

• Reply 44 of 90
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    It hit CNN.com

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/interne....ap/index.html

Note that Enderle is quoted worrying about MS's reputation. That's the one thing I'm not worried about.
  • Reply 45 of 90
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeowww...it's not been a very good 12 or so months to be a Windows user, has it? The virus, the worms, this, the overall feeling of using an inferior OS, etc.

I mean...

I don't know enough about this stuff to understand the "big picture" (but I'm not going to gloat because it affects EVERYTHING).

BUT...

...not that I'd like to see Apple gloat or go into gratuitous "attack dog" mode or take a "kick 'em while they're down" approach, I DO think that Apple is having some nice ideas and scenarios dropped into their lap to help make some new, stronger arguments for people switching.

Just seems the past 12 or so months has been one display of Windows' weakness, lack of security, frailty, etc. At some point, wouldn't a thinking person - perhaps overseeing lots of critical-work machines and environments start looking around a bit?

From what little I can tell, it just seems like the entire Windows foundation is just not that well put together. It's one thing after another, it seems.

*hug my PowerBook*
  • Reply 46 of 90
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    not to be alarmist, but the only thing capable of stopping a worm based on this new threat will be...

SKYNET

(i'm getting super-stain resistant undies packed right away)
  • Reply 47 of 90
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    If anyone is curious the source code is all over eMule. The file size is only 630mb, which is a fraction of the actual code size, which is something around 40gb. Anyway it?s there for the wanting. Not very interesting for the non-C programmer, but fun to grep things like ?f---k? out of it, the programmer remarks are fun.
  • Reply 48 of 90
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    UHHH, Oh yea, Microsoft I didn't see anything! In fact it was probably the source for Pacman, what do I know : )
  • Reply 49 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Yeowww...it's not been a very good 12 or so months to be a Windows user, has it? The virus, the worms, this, the overall feeling of using an inferior OS, etc.

[snip]

Its never been a good time to be a windows user, but that goes without saying around here. Just the las 12 months have been particularly bad, and it appears things are only getting worse. I've said it a million times, and I'll say it millions of times more, I love being a Mac guy.
  • Reply 50 of 90
    just how bad has it been for win'doh's users of late?

well dec 27 i reinstalled windows, as i do around the beginning of every year, and so many holes, bugs, and CRAP that has screwed my registry (the biggest and most aumonus hole in the OS) and this afternoon, i am reinstalling

the biggest problem for me, is malisious 'spy'ware, not even spybot can totaly unscrew the registery (it comes close as any app has)

we all knew windows was holy - now we have the roadmap to prove it.

edit.start(

holy=has many holes not to almighty, or pure or religus

]edit.end
  • Reply 51 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

All your source code are belong to us.

holy shit thats great

edit: i found a page that has a parody of the windows code--check it out!
  • Reply 52 of 90
    Probably "holey"?
  • Reply 53 of 90
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

holy shit thats great

Boy, that looks familiar. :P

You don't even read my posts for the pictures, do you?

- Xidius
  • Reply 54 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

holy shit thats great

there is a section missing here goes:

#include <allhailgates.h>

const lack-of-char=true;

if (ie = default.browser)

{

all=(well);

}

if (mozilla = default.browser)

{

all=(horrable);

ie.default.takeover = (NOW);

}
  • Reply 55 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

... I DO think that Apple is having some nice ideas and scenarios dropped into their lap to help make some new, stronger arguments for people switching.

don't get me wrong, apple hardware is somewhat scarce, isn't it? IF the fruitcompany is NOT able to serve their "normal" custumers right the way, hell, why should the company all at a sudden - and that is what you consider - serve myriads of other potential custumers? Just curious about. Reality matters, no?

You are talking about massive attack, not about two or three guys, who'd proudly take their mac homeward, no? I'd say apple is a nice boutique with some manners and some flavours - and that is all about.

best
  • Reply 56 of 90
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

don't get me wrong, apple hardware is somewhat scarce, isn't? IF the fruitcompany is NOT able to serve their "normal" custumers right the way, hell, why should the company all at a sudden - and that is what you consider - serve myriads of other potential custumers? Just curious about. Reality matters, no?

We are talking about massive attack, not about two or three guys, who'd proudly take their mac homeward, no?

best

Wow.. If I read your post backwards.. It almost makes more sense than if I read it correctly.

Just an observation..

- Xidius
  • Reply 57 of 90
    DO WE (i include myself because i plan to swich this year) WANT a MASS FLOOD OF SWItCHERS?

with the masses come the asses - viruses - scripts and so on, unix is less suseptable to these things but what about apple-script? what could malisious people do with that (a hammer can build a home or break a scull)?
  • Reply 58 of 90
    i would love for this to be great news, but i got a feeling its going to be over quick, or worse, may turn out positively for the evil empire. whichever miscreants make the viruses are going to do so in a matter of days, people will notice, and the viruses will get fixed. possibly a surge of viral power, but not more than general humanity can handle. it's not like the international viral community can simultaneously notice every hole in w2k and release the mass of virii at the same time. eventually, these evil programmers will find all the holes in windows, and ms (probably months and months after) will patch the holes. but, having brought them to ms' attention means ms knows about it. ie, they can patch 2k3, me, and whatever other crappy versions they have which might share the same holes. this damned involuntary opensourcedness may turn out to be a good thing for ms in the long run. maybe they'll learn from it. maybe ms will realize and accept one of the greatest benefits of open source software: everyone can help find the bugs. i got a feeling they'd use the benefit of oss, but turn around and go back to their obfuscation techniques.
  • Reply 59 of 90
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    there are over 43 million lines of leaked code. some of which i'm sure is cruft, but a lot of it is i'm sure legit. MS has known about various holes in their OS for years or months, and done nothing about it. i don't think they're going to be able to get the jump on this.

as for secret trojans, i don't see how they'll be any worse now than they are already. the only way they really get caught is that you have paranoid people who check everything that goes in or out of their computers. if a new trojan comes out, the same people who catch them now (and turn them over to the AV folks) will catch them again.

to me, the Slammer style of attack is much more dangerous. a worm that spreads via an unpatchable hole in Windows will spread much faster than any AV crap can come online. last time slammer almost shut down the internet backbone due to the traffic increase. i wouldn't be surprised if a solidly written worm, with a look at the innards of windows couldn't do ten times worse than slammer did. i guess time will tell.
  • Reply 60 of 90
    Vox Barb, I'm not quite sure I know what the hell you're saying (but I think you took charm lessons from some of the guys in AO).

Yes, "reality counts".

But I don't think it would be an overnight, sudden "30 million people switching to the Mac...". Reality, indeed. Grab some. I don't think I ever envisioned a mass, overnight migration that would cause Apple to implode and crumble.

It would be over the course of months, maybe a year or so (even more?), so yes...just because RIGHT NOW Apple has their little slice of the pie (ha!), doesn't mean that if they saw trends swinging their way, they couldn't ramp up and address the oncoming wave. I'm sure that's a "problem" they'd love to be confronted with. That's what businesses do. They hire people to notice that kind of stuff.

Point remains: people looking for a tighter, more secure, less troublesome and more-fun-to-use computer might do well to look Apple's way at some point. Or not. Let 'em suffer if they choose to, I don't care. But I'm betting the smarter ones who value their time, productivity, etc. will eventually realize that Windows doesn't have to be the end-all/be-all of their computing lives. They've just known nothing else to this point. So some of those smart people might find themselves wandering into an Apple store at their local mall, just to see what all the fuss is about.

Apple isn't creating or causing all this. It's a weakness and flaw in Microsoft and their product. Apple should maybe think about using it as a subtle reminder to people tired of all that to look elsewhere.

It's called "marketing" and "going after the competition" and so forth.

Or Apple could put their hands in their pockets and be a nice guy about it all and act like it's not happening and continue staying at 3% for the next 20 years. Fine, but I'd rather not.