Windows source code leaked? Beginning of the end

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 90
    So has this died out and become a non-event? I didn't even find out about it until today.
  • Reply 82 of 90
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    no idea whether it has or not. you have two major problems.

the first being that since the code is illegal to look at, a lot of white hat folks won't touch it. if they won't look at it, they aren't going to be finding holes.

the second problem is related to the first. just because the nice hackers aren't going to touch it doesn't mean the black hats won't.

i'm sure they're all happily plugging away at the source code, trying to find holes here and there. it's over 13 million lines of code, should take them a while to get through it all. of course, when they find something it's not going to end up published anywhere, it will either just be directly exploited by the person who found it, or passed around among hackers.

the only way we'll find out about those kinds of exploits is when they start to happen.
  • Reply 83 of 90
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    And what was M$'s response to the IE 5 problem? Upgrade to IE 6?
  • Reply 84 of 90
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quick question - does anyone know what language(s) are in the source?

C? C++?
  • Reply 85 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Quick question - does anyone know what language(s) are in the source?

C? C++?

I think I read somewhere that it was C++, but the two languages are so syntactically similar that it's sometimes hard to tell one from the other. If you have the code, search for "new", "delete", "cout", or something related to class declarations. If any of those words pop up on their own (ie. "new", not "newer"), then it's almost certainly C++.
  • Reply 86 of 90
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

I think I read somewhere that it was C++, but the two languages are so syntactically similar that it's sometimes hard to tell one from the other. If you have the code, search for "new", "delete", "cout", or something related to class declarations. If any of those words pop up on their own (ie. "new", not "newer"), then it's almost certainly C++.

I've heard that its assembly.
  • Reply 87 of 90
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

I've heard it's a mix of the two...
  • Reply 88 of 90
    Quote:

even easier trick is to look at the file extensions. ".c" for c code (iirc, its the only extension used for c), ".C" ".cpp" ".CPP" ".cc" (and probably a lot of others) for c++. assuming, of course, that ms follows such standards. i think the file listing was released, but i dont remember what was in it. if i had to guess, i'd say asm, c and c++ are used in different portions of the code, probably favoring c by quantity, and i'd like to think that the asm is nearly scarce.
  • Reply 89 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

even easier trick is to look at the file extensions. ".c" for c code (iirc, its the only extension used for c), ".C" ".cpp" ".CPP" ".cc" (and probably a lot of others) for c++. assuming, of course, that ms follows such standards. i think the file listing was released, but i dont remember what was in it. if i had to guess, i'd say asm, c and c++ are used in different portions of the code, probably favoring c by quantity, and i'd like to think that the asm is nearly scarce.

You're probably right. I'll bet some of the core routines in the kernel or boot-loader are in asm, but nothing else.