Aluminum Display - (Apple slideshow leak?)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I attended an "event" recently and during several of the presentations, a slide was shown that showed a 23" or larger aluminum display beside an Apple Tower.

I asked someone about the display and they said, "I don't know what that is... (name deleted) put this slide show together and no telling where ____ pulled that image from..."

I've recreated the image below, (the original had a black background like the G5 images)

I saw the sllide for about 2-3 secs and an Apple guy clicked right by it without flinching. In case your wondering if a bunch of people stood up immediately and said "HEY! AN ALUMINUM DISPLAY!!!!", this was not the case, the room was full of mac users but not any hardcore future hardware types like me. Was mostly an older crowd wanting to know hot to start using OS X, etc, you get the idea.

Things to note, i couldn't remember the height in comparison to the tower but it was at least a 23 inch display, maybe bigger.

There was no support foot in the middle back showing.

Here it is: Higher res version

here

I realize that WrongRobot posted the image below in another thread..

But as you can see here, this is just a current Cinema Display, although with an odd looking support from underneath the G5.

At any rate , just thought I'd do a mockup of what I saw.

No buttons on the front were showing. and the image looked very "official" especiallly on the black background...

MSKR

Here's a closer looking example of what I saw, although I added the headline.

High -Rez

Enjoy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 115
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Teh sexy I say! I want one.
  • Reply 2 of 115
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    A mock story and pic, excellent!
  • Reply 3 of 115
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

A mock story and pic, excellent!

Tell us how you *really* feel.
  • Reply 4 of 115
    Masker, Where's the BEEF?
  • Reply 5 of 115
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    It's most likely coming soon, probably with the next G5 upgrade in April.
  • Reply 6 of 115
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Mmmmmmm....even less adjustable! Just what we all asked for!

Sorry, as fun as it is to have it match the G5, I rather suspect it will not have the exact G5 love handles. Too flat and immovable.

One would hope they could iMac-ify the displays with optional beefed up swing arm, but also allow a fixed semi adjustable stand (i.e. no built-in legs YUCK) - plus - allow it to be wall mounted!

So make it flat backed, no built in legs, optional iMac arm and base (sold separately!) and I'll be happy.

My dream desk is bar style with wall mounted display.
  • Reply 7 of 115
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Yes- I love the look of these displays, but they're not adjustable enough.

I'd like to see apple making something like the iMac arm for the displays (I have no idea how, but I'm sure apple can engineer something that everyone else can copy).

I'd like to see wall mountable too- but how is that any more adjustable than the current displays? I'd say its even less.

I'd also like to see a TV tuner built in because I'm never buying anything with a tube again. My next computer display is going to be used as my TV (I'm planning on getting the 20" apple and maybe an eyeTV or a tuner card for my 3GHz G5).

My parents got the gateway 42" plasma last summer and it rocks (yes I know if doesn't have the best black display, but the color saturation is great after some color tuning and a progressive scan DVD player with some Monster component video cables)! So I'm planning on getting something wide and flat for my next TV/Computer monitor. Hopefully a 20", wall mountable, iMac arm, aluminum, apple display to match my shiny new dual 3GHz G5!
  • Reply 8 of 115
    Non-adjustable is fine as long as it is optional.

1. iMac-like arm/base (optional, sold separately), super adjustable

2. Included external stand, moderately adjustable

3. Wall mounted, non-adjustable.

All 3 would be possible in one unit.

Non-built-in legs makes it attractive as 1 or 3 (currently it's hideous, IMHO, in those situations although fine by itself as intended). 3rd party arms with current displays looks goofy to me, sorry. And a wall mounted Cinema display with little legs sticking out would of course be visually asinine.

Making the iMac are/base optional would save a lot on shipping since it would need to be very heavy. Since not everyone would use it, keep it optional.
  • Reply 9 of 115
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

Yes- I love the look of these displays, but they're not adjustable enough.

I'd like to see apple making something like the iMac arm for the displays (I have no idea how, but I'm sure apple can engineer something that everyone else can copy).

for the record, apple didn't actually engineer the imac swing arm. it was engineered by a palo alto company called function. a friend of mine worked as a mech engineer on the team (they also did the cubes underside spring-handle, the magnetic powerbook latch, and the original adjustable stands for the cinema displays. luckily, he said they didn't have steve lording over them saying "you call THAT a SUNFLOWER??!!??"

not sure if apple still uses function, as function removed every shred of evidence they did work for apple from their on-line portfolio right after the flat-panel imac was released. apple is still listed in their range of clients. function has also done some cool engineering like danger's hiptop case and hinge display and the fold-out palm portable keyboard.
  • Reply 10 of 115
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

for the record, apple didn't actually engineer the imac swing arm. it was engineered by a palo alto company called function. a friend of mine worked as a mech engineer on the team (they also did the cubes underside spring-handle, the magnetic powerbook latch, and the original adjustable stands for the cinema displays.

not sure if apple still uses function, as function removed every shred of evidence they did work for apple from their on-line portfolio right after the flat-panel imac was released.

That's fairly normal in the industry though isn't it? See XBOX and Microsoft or Gillette razors etc. Usually a 3rd party design firm is in the mix somewhere.
  • Reply 11 of 115
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

That's fairly normal in the industry though isn't it? See XBOX and Microsoft or Gillette razors etc. Usually a 3rd party design firm is in the mix somewhere.

well, yeah. i just think some folks (myself included) get led to believe that apple does all the cool stuff, whereas they just go to places like function and say "um, steve wants a sunflower. make it happen..."
  • Reply 12 of 115
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

well, yeah. i just think some folks (myself included) get led to believe that apple does all the cool stuff, whereas they just go to places like function and say "um, steve wants a sunflower. make it happen..."

True. That's marketing for ya.

What then of HP:Invent?

Since Apple contracted out for iPod and HP is licensing iPod from Apple it seems like the biggest joke is HP's logo/slogan.

Should be HP:License
  • Reply 13 of 115
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Ok, what is wrong with the first link...
  • Reply 14 of 115
    macjedaimacjedai Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

Did it get yanked, ala "steve'd"?
  • Reply 15 of 115
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

It's "http://http//". Just remove the last "http//", and you have a perfectly functioning link. :-)
  • Reply 16 of 115
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    That just looks freaking sweet! I can say no more.
  • Reply 17 of 115
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

It's "http://http//". Just remove the last "http//", and you have a perfectly functioning link. :-)

Noticed that the link is fixed now. Thanks for pointing out the problem.
  • Reply 18 of 115
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacJedai

Noticed that the link is fixed now. Thanks for pointing out the problem.

Masker, sweeeet mockup. I still would like adjustability of the screen. Not sure if the iMac arm is "the" answer, but something that allows that amout of flexibilty would sure be nice.

I go along with the idea for the display to have no built-in legs, be wall mountable, and have at least one desktop base.
  • Reply 19 of 115
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    It looks very awesome, hopefully Ive gets right on that!
  • Reply 20 of 115
    sorhedsorhed Posts: 38member
    aluminum is so 2003.

we need a new metal.