Aluminum Display - (Apple slideshow leak?)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 115
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Apple needs to introduce a new line of displays. The current line is like three years old! While I like the image shown (having seen the same mockup floating around the internet for some time) it represents another non-adjustable display. I like the idea of a removable adjustable stand so that the display can be free-standing or hung on the wall to be used as a HDTV monitor. I have a very small desk and hanging a nice 23" flat panel on the wall would work well for me for both computer use and as a TV. I know others would want the flexability of an adjustable iMac-like arm or something similar. Most would not use a computer display as a TV but the option should be available if you buy a separate tuner. I hope Apple has thought of all this, that there will be a new multi-use display lineup with inputs other than just ADC, and soon! I've been saving my pennies and if something like this isn't available soon, I'll probably get a HDTV set instead.
  • Reply 22 of 115
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Apple will probably just re-style the look of the display, not try and reinvent the wheel (iMac) and just update it. The reason they havent done this already? Why not milk an existing classic and good looking unit? That's my guess, expect display changes upon the next G5 rev. I'll be happily surprised if Apple does come up with a new type of display ergonomic.
  • Reply 23 of 115
    ADC only, has got to go. I just sold a 17" Studio Display and it took months. Nobody wants anything to do with ADC. It's nice if you have a recent Mac tower, but only then.
  • Reply 24 of 115
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

ADC only, has got to go. I just sold a 17" Studio Display and it took months. Nobody wants anything to do with ADC. It's nice if you have a recent Mac tower, but only then.

Exactly. I've always wondered why Apple did that and lost out on potential PC users who wanted to buy a Cinema Display (unlikely, but possible).

And while the current monitors are robust, they are getting dated in styling...especially with the big fat bezel frames.
  • Reply 25 of 115
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

If it has to have DVI it also needs a power supply - and that's exactly what Apple's DVI-ADC adapter really is.
  • Reply 26 of 115
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    I think it'd be kinda neat if they were redesigned so that a new DVI-ADC converter could be snapped on to the back of the display. That way you'd have one less little box banging around behind your desk.
  • Reply 27 of 115
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

If it has to have DVI it also needs a power supply - and that's exactly what Apple's DVI-ADC adapter really is.

While trying to sell my 17" with ADC, I had a few Wintel users look at it and say "wow, nice monitor!" When I showed them the DVI adapter they'd have to use with it, they waved their hands and said "no thanks."
  • Reply 28 of 115
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    On the other hand, I know a 3D guy who just bought a 23" Cinema HD display for his PC, adapter and all, because it's just that sweet.
  • Reply 29 of 115
    Quote:

Originally posted by sorhed

aluminum is so 2003.

we need a new metal.

My vote is for Beryllium.

As long as Apple puts a standard VESA mount on the back of their displays, I'm happy. And if they wouldn't put "feet" underneath them so the display doesn't look so lame when I mount it on a VESA arm, well, that would be pretty swank as well.
  • Reply 30 of 115
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

My vote is for Beryllium.

Nah, not ductile enough.
  • Reply 31 of 115
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Anything but the radioactive columns of the table... and maybe Sodium. And Lead.

Unununium !!!
  • Reply 32 of 115
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I'm waiting for marble, stone or wood.

I'd love a wood Powerbook with marble keyboard.

<-- Note lack of smilies, denoting seriousness
  • Reply 33 of 115
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

I'd love a wood Powerbook with marble keyboard.

Didn't Fred Flintstone have one of those?
  • Reply 34 of 115
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Nerfbook!
  • Reply 35 of 115
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    How about Mercury (the SplatBook) ?
  • Reply 36 of 115
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Messiahtosh, I think you're looking too hard and exerting quite a bit of energy for such small returns. Pull back on the reins a tad: a slideshow "leaks" a new display AND an official Apple T-shirt points the way to a new iPod? Both in one day?

Will you see a new iBook design in your Pop-Tart tomorrow morning?

• Reply 37 of 115
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    Nice looking mockups, but i'm 99.9% sure you just saw a regular Cinema Display reflecting the light funny or something. It's not the first time that the Cinema Display has been mistaken for aluminum in a photo.

I do not think many people at Apple have access to secret new products. Least of all some guy doing a 'learn to use OS X' presentation to a MUG.

-robo
  • Reply 38 of 115
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Thank you. That's what I was trying to say, but kept tripping and stumbling on sarcasm.
  • Reply 39 of 115
    sopphodesopphode Posts: 135member
    I dont know about the display, but could someone post that desktop image
  • Reply 40 of 115
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Thank you. That's what I was trying to say, but kept tripping and stumbling on sarcasm.

Sometimes the lure of sarcasm is a devilish delight. Kinda like your sig...