Aluminum Display - (Apple slideshow leak?)

Comments

• Reply 61 of 115
    kikaidakikaida Posts: 17member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sorhed

aluminum is so 2003.

we need a new metal.

Not a metal but... dilithium!

Or there is always mithril...
  • Reply 62 of 115
    Quote:

Originally posted by kikaida

Not a metal but... dilithium!

Or there is always mithril...

...or Plutonium!

"Mommy, why does the computer glow green? ..and why do I have chest pains so much?"
  • Reply 63 of 115
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    I have a problem, not with the story which could be true but with the concept. Having used G4 iMacs and Powermacs i must say how much I prefer the additional height of the iMac screen. I am looking straight ahead not down.

I cannot think of an elegant way to achieve this with a standalone screen, but there is no doubt that the iMac is better for ones posture.
  • Reply 64 of 115
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

I cannot think of an elegant way to achieve this with a standalone screen, but there is no doubt that the iMac is better for ones posture.

Correct, the iMac has by far the best ergomonics of any computer available today. I would love to work on such a machine just for this reason. I have difficulties to imagine another, more efficient, computer-display arrangement. However, it is not at all obvious how this design paradigm could propagate to standalone displays.
  • Reply 65 of 115
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 570member
    Sony have had a display like this out for over a year now, and I reckon it's a pretty good match for the G5.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...U=SDMP232W%2fB

PLEASE don't let Apple's new display have two feet.....
  • Reply 66 of 115
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasonfj

Sony have had an adjustable display like this out for over a year now, and I reckon it's a pretty good match for the G5.

Looks like it would tip over with the slighest bump.
  • Reply 67 of 115
    I've seen in a store and it doesn't.
  • Reply 68 of 115
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

Looks like it would tip over with the slighest bump.

With a sneeze I would say.

EDIT: OK, already replied.
  • Reply 69 of 115
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    quote:

"Why would a LCD display need the mesh? i could see a little on the back, but there would be no need for it aesthetically."

I never said that an LCD would need the mesh. I was actuallty commenting that the mockup pic looked GOOD without it unlike a post a while back which also claimed to have the inside scoop on the new display design and that post has an image of a display with the chese grater design on the front. Personally I hope the new displays have a thin bezel than a thick one so placing two displays togeather allows for a better viewing when monitor spanning.

Quote:

"Also, a couple of points to emphasize... I did not make this story up, it actually happened. "

If you say so than it must be true.... frankly who cares... Im not calling you a liar... but question why do you believe that apple would release an update now ie end of the month instead of at WWDC when they have all the media attention...If thats what you are saying...

"let the stones fly"

...No need... there seems to be to many pigs flying....

Lighten up... its only FH ... realise i was complimenting the artwork...
  • Reply 70 of 115
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Before they actually come out, I want to get on record here...

1. I think new Apple displays WILL a) be covered in aluminum and have less curvy edges, better matching the PowerBooks and G5.

And I've posted this before (but lost it, so doodled a quick new one here at work ), but I can't get a away from some sort of bisected "cradle" design. The below display could swivel side-to-side and it could tilt back and forth (like a laptop screen).

The display's sides are halved and it sits on a wide "U" base, tilting at the vertical half point (see side drawing). The base could (and should) be some sort of dense, heavy material (covered in nice G5 aluminum, of course) that is itself split: the base stays put while the top portion of itswivels on a secure, heavy-duty pinot rod.

I'm no engineer, so go with it.

The styling isn't there in my drawing (just showing the mechanics) and also keep in mind: Apple would do a clean, visually seamless take on the below, so don't let the lines fool you into thinking it's too "busy" or cluttered. In the below state (a line drawing, showing every part), it certainly is. But I would imagine Apple rolling and smoothing the parts to butt to each other nicely, resulting in a clean, tight look.

Again, just an idea that allows for simple tilt and swivel, which is what most people probably want.

In case something like this DOES come to be, I jus twant to be in the clear...

• Reply 71 of 115
    Masker, If your rendering has the scale right, that could be the 30" display Apple's rumored to have been working on. It figures a new model would get the updated look we've been expecting, and that the look would get spread down to the rest of the line. I hope it also comes with a price drop to, say, $1799 or so for the 23". I have quotes sitting on my desk for 8 G5s with 23s and I find myself now leaning towards waiting for the new round, instead of taking discounts now, largely on the strength of this idea of what the new displays might look like. (the 8 G5s are for 8 designers and they LOVE the look of that display.) Your post may end up costing us a bunch of money!

By the way, I remember being at an Apple Event a couple years ago and seeing a slide that showed an Xserve Raid, several weeks before that product was announced.
  • Reply 72 of 115
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

1. I think new Apple displays WILL a) be covered in aluminum and have less curvy edges, better matching the PowerBooks and G5.

And I've posted this before (but lost it, so doodled a quick new one here at work ), but I can't get a away from some sort of bisected "cradle" design. The below display could swivel side-to-side and it could tilt back and forth (like a laptop screen).certainly is. But I would imagine Apple rolling and smoothing the parts to butt to each other nicely, resulting in a clean, tight look.

Looks like it would tip over with the slightest bump.
  • Reply 73 of 115
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Something like a... mirror ? It will need perhaps some screws to fix it on the table . Otherwise, it's nice.

EDIT: now I am thinking about it, is there any manufacturer having already displays with this design? Or it is something completely new?
  • Reply 74 of 115
    Are there not materials out there that could be used for the base? I have a neat little lamp that I bought at IKEA about four years ago. It's a "dual mount" type of thing, in that I can clamp it to a desk or table OR insert it in to this small round base that came with it. This base is about a 6" circle and no more than 1.5" tall...IT IS THE HEAVIEST THING THAT SIZE I'VE EVER LIFTED.

I don't know what it is made of, but it's ridiculously heavy (I'm talking "hold it with both hands and grimace" heavy).

That's just a 6" circle. Couldn't a 12-18" long "bar", maybe 4" or so deep and an inch or two tall, made from something this dense, support the device? Also, I could imagine the "U" cradle being heavier than the bezel and the "top" part of the display, so all the weight and bulk would be at the bottom. Nothing should tip.

That IKEA lamp is a jointed architect type of lamp, about 4-feet long when fully extended. When I insert it in to its base and tilt it over as far as it reaches, it doesn't come close to tipping. Ever.
  • Reply 75 of 115
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sorhed

aluminum is so 2003.

we need a new metal.

My vote is for half copper, half zinc...if the batter goes just squeeze a lemon on the keyboard and you get 5 more minutes of power.
  • Reply 76 of 115
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

My vote is for half copper, half zinc...if the batter goes just squeeze a lemon on the keyboard and you get 5 more minutes of power.

Batter? Lemon?? What are you talking about, fish & chips?
  • Reply 77 of 115
    A more fleshed-in take...

• Reply 78 of 115
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasonfj

Batter? Lemon?? What are you talking about, fish & chips?

Batter-y.....sorry.
  • Reply 79 of 115
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    I prefer the 'original' design! I think the aluminium design shown doesn't work. I hope apple come up with something a little more stylish and flashy!
  • Reply 80 of 115
    I think you need to make "bow" say "box" in your sig...