Macrumors: PowerMac/display updates imminent

Comments

• Reply 21 of 151
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by machem

Of course. I just bought a Formac 17" display. I'm willing to fall on a grenade for the rest of you, however, especially if new dualies come out next week.

ummm if you'v been here anytime in the last 6 months you would know that display updates are soon. dumb purchase if you ask me.
  • Reply 22 of 151
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tomb of the Unknown

I could believe shipping dual Xserves and new (updated) Displays. I doubt speed bumped PowerMacs.

Why?
  • Reply 23 of 151
    Quote:

I could believe shipping dual Xserves and new (updated) Displays. I doubt speed bumped PowerMacs.

Considering Apple sent out emails today to it's educational lists for $200 off the (already discounted) single 1.6 GHz PowerMac, good until March 23rd...

yeah, pretty good bet that we'll be seeing new PowerMacs (all dual?!) on the 23rd.

A single 1.6 GHz PowerMac for $1399 isn't bad. Or $1193 if you drop the modem and 'superdrive' (which are both useless to me). Of course, I've still got a developer discount to burn, which might be nice with a new dual 2.whatever GHz PowerMac. What to do...
  • Reply 24 of 151
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally posted by concentricity

Considering Apple sent out emails today to it's educational lists for $200 off the (already discounted) single 1.6 GHz PowerMac, good until March 23rd...

yeah, pretty good bet that we'll be seeing new PowerMacs (all dual?!) on the 23rd.

A single 1.6 GHz PowerMac for $1399 isn't bad. Or $1193 if you drop the modem and 'superdrive' (which are both useless to me). Of course, I've still got a developer discount to burn, which might be nice with a new dual 2.whatever GHz PowerMac. What to do...

I got that email over a week ago. Even posted about it here.

Quote:

ummm if you'v been here anytime in the last 6 months you would know that display updates are soon. dumb purchase if you ask me.

I didn't ask you. But, not so dumb, as it is a bit larger than the Apple 17" for less, and it looks a bit nicer (IMHO). I (we) have been hearing new display rumors for a year. Plus, it's an institutional purchase. I don't need acres of screen space. I will, however, hold out for a bit for a PM update.

Like I said, if this is what it takes to draw out an update (any update), I'm happy to do it.
  • Reply 25 of 151
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by machem

I didn't ask you. But, not so dumb, as it is a bit larger than the Apple 17" for less, and it looks a bit nicer (IMHO). I (we) have been hearing new display rumors for a year. Plus, it's an institutional purchase. I don't need acres of screen space. I will, however, hold out for a bit for a PM update.

Like I said, if this is what it takes to draw out an update (any update), I'm happy to do it.

he was being S A R C A S T I C.
  • Reply 26 of 151
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    There's a spelling error on Apple's front page concerning the G5 (superhero assitant?). Seems like a rushed job...

..or it could be a hint. The article that the quote comes from says this:

Quote:

So while I know it's hard for people who have been anticipating this G5 for years, I'd recommend waiting three more months unless your time is money and you just don't want to wait any longer. At the very least, at Macworld, Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs is likely to invite software company executives onstage to demonstrate how fast their G5-optimized software will be, and tell when it will be ready.

It's very unusual for a review to say such a thing.
  • Reply 27 of 151
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

he was being S A R C A S T I C.

That wasn't sarcasm. That's just being a jerk. I'm pretty sure I have a handle on sarcasm, and my detector is reading 0%.

Unless YOU'RE being sarcastic, to which I have to say "nice post".

**sarcasm detector blips**

• Reply 28 of 151
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Now in Colors:

Not really
  • Reply 29 of 151
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Now in Colors:

Not really

Insane!
  • Reply 30 of 151
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Now, something starts to move!
  • Reply 31 of 151
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Why?
  • Reply 32 of 151
    The March 31st IBM POWER architecture meeting could be the beginning of exciting happenings for Apple. We should get an inside look at where IBM is taking chip technology and possibily a roadmap and timetable.

8) 8) 8)
  • Reply 33 of 151
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Bob

The March 31st IBM POWER architecture meeting could be the beginning of exciting happenings for Apple. We should get an inside look at where IBM is taking chip technology and possibily a roadmap and timetable.

8) 8) 8)

And hopefully March 30th will unveil new Mac's using new processors, and IBM will tell us more about the processors on March 31st, and their roadmap.
  • Reply 34 of 151
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Finally! I usually don't put much faith in rumor's, but I'm a little excited at the possibility of faster PowerMacs, and seeing what directions IBM is headed with the future PPC's. Maybe well get a better idea of what the PPC 976 G5, is all about - like how the dual core processors are going. And possibly some performance estimates.

Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Now, something starts to move!

• Reply 35 of 151
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

Insane!

i'll take one in pink! Where are the matching displays?
  • Reply 36 of 151
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwdawso

And hopefully March 30th will unveil new Mac's using new processors, and IBM will tell us more about the processors on March 31st, and their roadmap.

new Mac's what using new processors?

Quote:

Finally! I usually don't put much faith in rumor's,[/B]

much faith in rumor's what?
  • Reply 37 of 151
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

They just changed the front page to a generic G5 Promo. Betcha we'll have news next week on Tuesday. Then a month later in April new iPods and iTMS Europe.

i think along will come new PowerBooks before april 18 :-) i'll get a new 13.3" 16:10 PowerBook or something like that... coooooooooool!!!!!!
  • Reply 38 of 151
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Thats what i am thinking too, sure will be an interesting few days I go back to the 2.5ghz banter that IBM was supposed to have mentioned at the chip expo b4, and maybe even in that they didnt let all the speeds out of the bag (at apples request, since it really wouldnt matter to ibm if they didn mention the odd extra 300mhz or so..) and we might go thru that speed and then some in a week and a bit.
  • Reply 39 of 151
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Hope springs eternal. I hope Apple will announce the 3 GHz Power Macs as the next revision. And I hope it will be before the end of March, as the timeframe rumors indicate. Do you realize how cool that would be?

I know, I know. The liklihood of that happening is low, but with Apple you can just never be too sure of what's coming along...given the unexpected PowerBook SuperDrive back in Nov 2002 when everyone predicted that no, it coudn't happen.
  • Reply 40 of 151
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

Sounds right, Im buying the 30th instead of the 23rd (still in Q2), the 30th is not. I would love to see G5 Powerbooks as well, except, Im thinking WWDC (June 28th) for them.

Here's hoping!