Violation of "Retarded Post" sticky in AO by new sticky in AO

Comments

• Reply 41 of 89
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I liked Fellowship better when he wore his staunch conservative, Christian beliefs and principles on his sleeve.

I've noticed that all the AO Brain Trust members suddenly "accepted" Fellowship (and deemed him "cool") once he started sounding a little more like them.

Been meaning to talk to you about that, Dale...

A "thoughtful moderate"? Ugh...no, anything but THAT! You play in the middle of the road and you eventually get squashed by oncoming traffic.

But I still dig Fellowship...easily the most mature, down-to-earth guy at AppleInsider, and the one person I'd turn to if I was ever in need. It's no accident that there's a connection between that and what/who he is...

Something to chew on for all you wise-ass heathens and brickthrowing nimrods.

I just don't want to wake up one day and find that you've become the Dallas headquarters of ShawnPatrick Inc. Keep it real, brother man. Keep it real.

• Reply 42 of 89
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I liked Fellowship better when he wore his staunch conservative, Christian beliefs and principles on his sleeve.

I've noticed that all the AO Brain Trust members suddenly "accepted" Fellowship (and deemed him "cool") once he started sounding a little more like them.

Been meaning to talk to you about that, Dale...

A "thoughtful moderate"? Ugh...no, anything but THAT! You play in the middle of the road and you eventually get squashed by oncoming traffic.

But I still dig Fellowship...easily the most mature, down-to-earth guy at AppleInsider, and the one person I'd turn to if I was ever in need. It's no accident that there's a connection between that and what/who he is...

Something to chew on for all you wise-ass heathens and brickthrowing nimrods.

I just don't want to wake up one day and find that you've become the Dallas headquarters of ShawnPatrick Inc. Keep it real, brother man. Keep it real.

Thanks pscates, You have the best way of saying things of all the folks I have seen here at AI. I have always loved to read your clever posts written in great style. The whole "A "thoughtful moderate"? Ugh...no, anything but THAT! You play in the middle of the road and you eventually get squashed by oncoming traffic." I tend to believe I have found great balance by not being tied to a party. I know what I stand for and why I stand for it.

You stay out of trouble pscates. It is always great to see you around.

fellows
  • Reply 43 of 89
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Believe me, I've tried.
  • Reply 44 of 89
  • Reply 45 of 89
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    There's at least one thread laying around here gathering dust in the Suggestions Forum where I suggested that we consider running a special "Election Year" forum to pull the partisan threads away from AO. This was, of course, simply a ploy on my part to bring AO back to its simpler, less-political roots.

I have made a conscious effort in the new year to make less "from the gut" posts in AO, to contribute to discussions in a more level manner and to a degree I think that I have succeeded despite the continuing spew of vitriol from the Usual Suspects.

It was the recent aforementioned stickies that surprised ME last week. I made a passing reference about the English having bad teeth, a joke that is perhaps BIGGEST amongst the English themselves and found that Fellowship had edited out my "offensive" post and gave me a (very) friendly rebuke to let everyone know this kind of behavior can't be tolerated. I counted myself as the baby-in-the-bathwater and kept moving along....but it was troubling. I don't have ANY problem with Fellowship, he's just enforcing the current policy that you guys have hashed out.

I respect that. I wouldn't want to be a moderator of AO if the backstage is as pissy as Lo Cash describes it.

One solution would be to make a "special access" area for these political debates and stand ready to revoke access to THAT area. But it's really just the same as AO with more admin headaches to manage...and the end it's really just another incarnation of Fireside Chat.

If Fireside Chat can't return then so be it.

Just don't close AO.
  • Reply 46 of 89
    We were just going to recreate Fireside Chat, and then whoever participates in it we were going to ban. Brad thought too many innocent bystanders would get baited, but I say, "Things gotta get worse before they can get better".
  • Reply 47 of 89
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Cuppula things to add?

If anyone has a particular problem with the moderating or a particular mod, tell other mods or the admins in a PM or e-mail. They're the ones who have the final say on this.

Also, consider yourselves lucky that I can't revoke privileges unilaterally. It would be like that episode of Gilligan's Island when Gilligan is elected sheriff and he and the Skipper lock everyone up and then Gilligan locks up the Skipper and then?
  • Reply 48 of 89
    Why can't you create a separate forum for the political stuff and NOT moderate it? Just let them do their worst to each other but out of everybody else's way. Whack up a sticky saying something like:

"Abandon all hope ye who enter here"

Mods have less work, AO can get on with other business and the political animals are happy.
  • Reply 49 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

Why can't you create a separate forum for the political stuff and NOT moderate it? Just let them do their worst to each other but out of everybody else's way. Whack up a sticky saying something like:

"Abandon all hope ye who enter here"

Mods have less work, AO can get on with other business and the political animals are happy.

Because people would still complain. I remember one day when we were building the set for the regional Emmy Awards, my boss was about to flash the "Lightning Strikes" (Lights that use a ton of power to simulate lightning.), but before he did, he shouted, "Attention everybody! Do NOT turn around!"

Of course two seconds later everyone except our boss is holding their eyes in pain. There would still be mod work for us. Furthermore, it isn't only our intention to lessen our work. We're trying to clean up AI as a whole. You know how cats look all cute, then one climbs up on your chest, turns around, and graces you with a point blank view of its asshole? It's the cat's only shortcoming. That's what a new Fireside Chat would be like, and currently, that is what AO is like.

As I said before, the crap we're trying to get rid of is embarrassing to all of us. It's just disappointing that the main offenders cannot exhibit enough self discipline to have prevented this in the first place.
  • Reply 50 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

Because people would still complain. I remember one day when we were building the set for the regional Emmy Awards, my boss was about to flash the "Lightning Strikes" (Lights that use a ton of power to simulate lightning.), but before he did, he shouted, "Attention everybody! Do NOT turn around!"

Of course two seconds later everyone except our boss is holding their eyes in pain. There would still be mod work for us. Furthermore, it isn't only our intention to lessen our work. We're trying to clean up AI as a whole. You know how cats look all cute, then one climbs up on your chest, turns around, and graces you with a point blank view of its asshole? It's the cat's only shortcoming. That's what a new Fireside Chat would be like, and currently, that is what AO is like.

As I said before, the crap we're trying to get rid of is embarrassing to all of us. It's just disappointing that the main offenders cannot exhibit enough self discipline to have prevented this in the first place.

So if they complain -> automated reply "Please see sticky at top of forum".

To take your cat analogy one step further. How do you stop a cat sticking its arse in your face? Shoot it. Hey you know what cats are like (and humans).

I just don't see how this is going to work. Even if you start placing permanent bans on people there will be new members joining that will potentially undermine any controls already in place. If this is what it's like now, I think you're going to have your job cut out for you given the US election isn't until November.

But good luck! You're a braver man than me, Gunga Din!
  • Reply 51 of 89
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Maybe the "Election 2004" forum outside of AO is an idea worth pondering. Sure would make things a little less vicious for people who aren't down with the bloodletting, "Fight Club" atmosphere. I have decided that it is really not worth getting deep into political discussions in AO. No minds are being changed either way. It is an exercise in futility.

I, for one, appreciate the lock-down of all the BS in AO. At some point, a forum becomes almost unusuable... for all but the politicos. And that just sucks for the other 11,000 people on this board. It is sad where the state of discourse is in the world right now, and AO was no different.

I think the Mods do an excellent job of keeping things sane, with all the "Crazy Ones" that tarry here.
  • Reply 52 of 89
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Maybe you should come up with a list of names that might be safe to allow people to call each other? Make them up like Pokemon names so they're cute and powerless in comparison to existing English/Yiddish/etc words. The shame of using these words would certainly give these folks pause...

Here's a starter set:

Glumfarper - a person who just doesn't "get it"

Murboddity - morbid consumption of beer

Phlibaknievel - person who performs reckless stunts with logic

Pa-shisker - truth bender

Pingg - person with whom I disagree

Rumtiddler - person who wears tinfoil on their head
  • Reply 53 of 89
    Wow, I thought I disliked AO. LoCash seems to be completely sick of it!

He's referenced everything from Fox News to a kitten's butthole to help illustrate his disdain. You don't get that kind of passion anywhere else, folks.

Good show, my man!

Hell, I can't wait to read his next post...
  • Reply 54 of 89
    _ alliance __ alliance _ Posts: 2,070member
    no comment.
  • Reply 55 of 89
    Then why bother posting anything? Do you go around in real life saying "I'm not talking...listen how quiet I am"?

"No comment" usually means anything but...
  • Reply 56 of 89
    Quote:

Then why bother posting anything? Do you go around in real life saying "I'm not talking...listen how quiet I am"?

"No comment" usually means anything but...

read between the lines.

if you dont understand, then dont reply. thanks.
  • Reply 57 of 89
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:

Originally posted by _ alliance _

read between the lines.

if you dont understand, then dont reply. thanks.

Well I understand and I'd suggest if all you want to do is play games with people to try to prove a point, don't post at all.
  • Reply 58 of 89
    I still don't get it. I don't even know.

Maybe it snuck? A mystery thing or something. Or a point prover? For someone I don't even know, quite the smart-ass, in any case.

Hmm.
  • Reply 59 of 89
    Quote:

I still don't get it. I don't even know.

why edit?

and why you starting stupid bickering over nothing? sounds like AO...
  • Reply 60 of 89
    a) because I thought better of it (and it WAS like AO) and b) just wondering why the beef out of nowhere and the snide angle, that's all.

I didn't say anything to you.

Past life, I guess.