PowerPage: New PowerBooks this week

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    what doesn't make sense to me is that the 1.4 G5 draws less power, ie less heat created, than a G4 at the same speed.

If new G5's aren't released with the next rev of the PB, why not?

The 17" and 15" enclosure are big enough for the G4 and not the G5?

That doesn't make sense. Something else is going on in a big way if the next rev PB is a G4. I now find this issue so confusing as to believe that we are being toyed with by Apple.

• Reply 22 of 91
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    It will be a pathetic day in Apple history if Apple released another G4 Powerbook. The G4 simply cannot compete with Centrinos for thin and light, aka portable, laptops, and Pentium 4s in the desktop replacement categories [17" PB]. The G4 is an all around loser---it doesnt even have DDR FSB support in the year 2004!
  • Reply 23 of 91
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

The 17" and 15" enclosure are big enough for the G4 and not the G5?

That doesn't make sense.

Yes, it does, since there is not only the processor. You seem to forget about the monster system bus of the G5, which can be up to 6 times faster than the G4 bus.
  • Reply 24 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

It will be a pathetic day in Apple history if Apple released another G4 Powerbook. The G4 simply cannot compete with Centrinos for thin and light, aka portable, laptops, and Pentium 4s in the desktop replacement categories [17" PB]. The G4 is an all around loser---it doesnt even have DDR FSB support in the year 2004!

Well, let's be patient until this summer or a little after that, to see if Motorola or Freescale now, can deliver what they promised.
  • Reply 25 of 91
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Except for marketing, the Centrinos are not "all that and a bag of chips either"....
  • Reply 26 of 91
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Beats the hell out of me why Centrinos are so supposed to be so great.

Anyay, the PowerPage is always wrong nowadays. Ol' O'Grady just doesn't have the sources he used to, and hasn't gotten anything right it seems since 1997.
  • Reply 27 of 91
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

what doesn't make sense to me is that the 1.4 G5 draws less power, ie less heat created, than a G4 at the same speed.

There's a heat pipe on the CPU daughtercard in the PM G5. It's not for the 970. It's for the controller chip.

Even if the 970fx is itself small and cool, it implies a high-bandwidth architecture that is not. Getting a 970fx into a PowerBook is probably not that hard; I'd guess that it's getting the rest of the system in that's causing a lot of late nights in Cupertino.

In the meantime, whatever its faults, the G4 is a known quantity in a laptop. Whatever its faults, the PowerBook sold a record-breaking 197,000 units last quarter, so going by the last word in market acceptance it doesn't appear to be a liability, MaxBus notwithstanding. And just because we don't know where Freescale is going with the PowerPC doesn't mean that they aren't going anywhere. We didn't know about the 970 until the 11th hour, either.
  • Reply 28 of 91
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    So if a new PB is released tomorrow, without a G5, what could be added to make them a better system?

This is a general question.

More RAM, better video, etc etc
  • Reply 29 of 91
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

So if a new PB is released tomorrow, without a G5, what could be added to make them a better system?

This is a general question.

More RAM, better video, etc etc

Better video .... and a 10" formfactor
  • Reply 30 of 91
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Well, murbot, O'Grady's PowerPage posted pre-release pictures of the Wallstreet PowerBook weeks before Apple announced it in May 1998. These days, there are less rumors and O'Grady's record is no longer immaculate.

However, MacGeneration is reporting that some French Mac resellers have dropped 12-inch PB prices by 300 euro. This wouldn't be unheard of, and MacGeneration reporting on it isn't surprising. What made me think twice is that MacMinute re-reported this. MacMinute has always been spot-on with the few rumors they have posted, usually the day before a major announcement. So, IMO, MacMinute's quote of the MacGeneration story suggests that they know about an imminent PowerBook update. MacMinute is hinting at it for the benefit of their regular readers, without an explicit statement that would draw Apple's ire.

Hope springs eternal. I'm optimistic...

Escher

Is that iBook getting a bit long in the tooth murbot ?

Let me second the initial questioning of PowerPage. I seem to remeber a lot of false leads by O'Grady recently. Here's one I was able to find.

Of course, I'd love to have my doubts proven wrong.
  • Reply 31 of 91
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    If this is true, we will see the new powerbooks tommorow. We all know apple is famous for releasing new stuff on tuesday. If we don't see it tommorow all hope is lost for O'Grady. Also if the new speeds are around 1.5 Ghz we will see the G5 operate around 2.0 Ghz.
  • Reply 32 of 91
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gabid

Let me second the initial questioning of PowerPage. I seem to remeber a lot of false leads by O'Grady recently. Here's one I was able to find.

There's a difference between that instance and this instance. "Waiting in the wings" is a lot different than "New PowerBooks this Week." The Powerpage story seems to be definitive to state that it will happen this week.
  • Reply 33 of 91
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gabid

Is that iBook getting a bit long in the tooth murbot ?

2 months man.... we're talking freakin' dracula-fangs long-in-the-tooth.

It's as good as gone, baby. I feel like moving up a class. A new PowerBook would be cool.
  • Reply 34 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

There's a difference between that instance and this instance. "Waiting in the wings" is a lot different than "New PowerBooks this Week." The Powerpage story seems to be definitive to state that it will happen this week.

Again, I hope to be proven wrong. But I had a nagging suspision that they've made "this week" predictions before and been wrong. Looks like they have. Mind you, those were the good old days of 2003 when a week couldn't go by without someone predicting new PowerBooks that week. We shall see...

As a total aside, I'd just like to say how impressed I am with the Apple section I saw in a CompUSA today. You can actually play with everything, they have all sizes of everything, and the software and accessories are right there in front of you to pick up and touch, not locked away behind glass as it tends to be back home. Heck, they even had Logic displayed, not the type of software you see in an Apple section in a chain store, or, heck, even an Apple store, in Canada. If this is any indication of what an official Apple Store is like, I say bring them on up to Canada. It'll give local dealers a good kick in the pants. Again, I don't want to hijack the thread, just wanting to give Apple a thumbs-up. Now back to pontificating about PowerBooks...
  • Reply 35 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

It's as good as gone, baby. I feel like moving up a class. A new PowerBook would be cool.

I know what you mean. Since I now have a tower at home, I much prefer the 12'' form factor of the iBook I'm typing on right now over my old 15'' PB. But I'm still hit with a touch of envy every time I see someone boot up a PB next to me Mind you, for the price the iBook is still quite a nice machine. Especially when you boost it to 640 MB of RAM. Yay Crucial.
  • Reply 36 of 91
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    It would seem to me that it is very risky for a news and rumors site to be positive about anything, it might make more sense to say, "maybe," rather than definitely.

O'Grady is risking a lot of future hits and viewership by putting up false information, if it indeed is false, yet in the meantime the site is being gorged by hits.

Hope he's right.
  • Reply 37 of 91
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

You just HAD a PowerBook, you hardware-sellin', eBay-posting whore!

Man, you've got the whole "gettin' a new Mac!" thing down to an art. AND a science!

Hell, half the reason I don't get new Macs any more often than I do is because I hate the whole registration/initial preference/software installation/configuring/third-party installation routine. It DRAINS me.

Once every 3 or 4 years is all I can stomach.

• Reply 38 of 91
    Now, Croquer says the same thing. They should stop reading so much the rumor sites !
  • Reply 39 of 91
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    That's why I got a 40GB iPod... store all my files, prefs, etc on there. I have this hardware moving thing down to a science.

Man, if they do come this week... another perfectly timed sale. heh heh
  • Reply 40 of 91
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Are you gonna buy the best of the best iPod, when it comes out? You cant have that piece of crap 40 gigger forever!