PowerPage: New PowerBooks this week

Comments

• Reply 61 of 91
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Keep in mind that even IF apple does update their machines some time during our natural lives, you'll have to wait until well past the time you're good and buried before you actually GET it in your hands. :/

Apple's got to do something about these long product lifecycles (understandable, mostly) and the long delays to get product in their customers hands (completely unacceptable).
  • Reply 62 of 91
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yes, it's really become S.O.P., huh?

I mean, it's bad enough we STILL have these 8, 9 or 10 month gaps between updates. Then when they finally ARE released, it seems like more often than not there's then this huge backorder or wait situation.

\

The G5 last fall, the iPod minis, the PowerBooks, the iMac G4 when originally announced...and probably many more I just can't recall at the moment.

So basically you end up often looking at an entire year (maybe more!) when you factor in both product update span AND shipping/availability issues.

I know, I know...there are all sorts of business and manufacturing reasons that explain this. Spare me. I'm just bitching on principle...

I guess, in a way, it's good that Apple is only at 3% or so. They couldn't handle having being a 10-15% marketshare company.
  • Reply 63 of 91
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Yes, it's really become S.O.P., huh?

I mean, it's bad enough we STILL have these 8, 9 or 10 month gaps between updates. Then when they finally ARE released, it seems like more often than not there's then this huge backorder or wait situation.

As long as they don't make me wait nine months, like they did with my PM 8600 - during which time they bump the CPU speed by 50% at the same price, but still ship me the old model - I won't complain too much. My expectations in this department have already been thoroughly defeated.

Quote:

I guess, in a way, it's good that Apple is only at 3% or so. They couldn't handle having being a 10-15% marketshare company.

Ha! They could hardly be more dysfunctional than they were when they actually did have 10-15% market share...
  • Reply 64 of 91
    The PowerPage updates again (thanks, MacSurfer!):

Quote:

We were obviously wrong about the PowerBook speed bumps coming out last week. According to sources there was a shipping issue after the manufacturing ramp up and that is why the 'Books have not been released when expected. A source tells me that the assembly factory in Taiwan was slow to ramp up production and that caused them to miss a critical shipping deadline.

One part of the report states that Apple is unwilling to pay for air freight, so the pallets are on a dock waiting for the next ship. This conflicts with something Fred Anderson said in a conference call when the PowerMacs were shipping: PowerBooks, unlike PowerMacs, are shipped air freight all the time because they're small and light enough that the premium is negligible. Apple was taking a bath in air freight costs by shipping PowerMacs that way, but that's hardly surprising.

So, unless Apple has ratcheted the cost controls up a notch, this explanation doesn't wash.
  • Reply 65 of 91
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    It is obviously a BS statement made by O'Grady. He knows nothing, or next to nothing about future hardware.
  • Reply 66 of 91
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    How about those new PowerBooks this week.
  • Reply 67 of 91
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

• Reply 68 of 91
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Maybe next week? \

Hope springs eternal...

Escher
  • Reply 69 of 91
    Spring's eternal hope...
  • Reply 70 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

The G5 last fall, the iPod minis, the PowerBooks, the iMac G4 when originally announced...and probably many more I just can't recall at the moment.

Well, now you see why it's a bad idea to announce things at expos and conferences. Apple is locked into dates for unveilings and the products may not be ready. But announcing a product with later availability is NOT the same thing as shipping a product late.

With non-expo launches, products are usually available immediately. I ordered a new PowerBook right after they were introduced in September and had it a week later. The last two revs of the iMacs and the G4 iBooks were also available immediately.
  • Reply 71 of 91
    mordakmordak Posts: 168member
    /me crosses his fingers
  • Reply 72 of 91
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    i want a new 13" 16:10 now!!!
  • Reply 73 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by Krassy

i want a new 13" 16:10 now!!!

Me too!
  • Reply 74 of 91
    mordakmordak Posts: 168member
    whats a 16:10 lol
  • Reply 75 of 91
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mordak

whats a 16:10 lol

Screen ratio i.e. PowerBook 15 & 17 screens.
  • Reply 76 of 91
    Actually, isn't only the 17" 16:10? I thought the 15" (at 1280x854) was 16:11.

The 15" isn't nearly as "wide aspect" as the 17", relatively speaking.

Someone confirm that, but I think it's so...according to my calculations (which are best accompanied by a big, honkin' grain o' salt).
  • Reply 77 of 91
    Your calculations are correct, squire.

16/10 = 1.6

16/11 = 1.46

1280/854 = 1.50

Close enough for me!
  • Reply 78 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by Waragainstsleep

Your calculations are correct, squire.

16/10 = 1.6

16/11 = 1.46

1280/854 = 1.50

Close enough for me!

Of course, 1.5 is more commonly written as 3:2 (as a ratio, or 3/2 as a fraction), but who's counting?
  • Reply 79 of 91
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Who knows, maybe powerbooks will be this week.

The freakin apple front page has to change sometime!

All year they've managed to have a lame front page, and keep it there for far to long.

Only to replace with something as bad or worse!
  • Reply 80 of 91
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

The freakin apple front page has to change sometime!

All year they've managed to have a lame front page, and keep it there for far to long.

Only to replace with something as bad or worse!

Maybe they're going backwards.