What is your political party and your stance on the abortion issue?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Haha, here's something no one has ever talked about: abortion. I consider myself a democratic almost by the book, but am pretty much pro-life. the issue isn't as important to me as it is to so many people (I would never vote on a candidate simply based on this issue)...I was searching around and found that something like 43% of democrats view abortion as manslaughter (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04024/265080.stm)

anyhow, why is the party so hung up on the candidates being pro-choice? It seems to alienate a lot of potential democrats, particularly the christian labor, which is a significant portion. blah. anyhow, i'm wondering how we stand around here

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

anyhow, why is the party so hung up on the candidates being pro-choice? It seems to alienate a lot of potential democrats, particularly the christian labor, which is a significant portion.

The party is hung up because they have to cater to a rather large part of their constituency. But I think they can go a third way by proposing an abortion ban after 8 weeks with an health exception.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    i think females only should decide the abortion issue. or at least should be deciding this as much as males.

i don't know what political party i am, but i think people should be able to have abortions, 'pro choice'

i don't think the very small child feels anything, i mean. . . i don't think a fetus counts as a human really.

even if abotions are not allowed for the casual mistake, i think they should certainly be able available to rape victims, ect. . .

i don't think that the availability of abortions would encourage unsafe sex either.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    MANDATORY ABORTIONS.

heh. (but this has got to be the fourth or fifth abortion thread at least.. but none recently)
  • Reply 4 of 53
    I really don't have a political affiliation. I just want everybody in the government to mind their own business. If a woman wants to have an abortion, she should be able to. Can abortions lead to psychological problems? Yes. So can drinking. So can bad relationships. If a woman wants to have an abortion, let her. She just needs to be able to deal with the feelings she has after the fact.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    You forgot the choice " I'm to young to vote ) Oh well i voted Im an idependent which I really meant I don't want to be in your poll.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

You forgot the choice " I'm to young to vote ) Oh well i voted Im an idependent which I really meant I don't want to be in your poll.

Explain to me what kind of independent you are, and the difference between a democrat and a republican and you'll get a gold star.

Seriously though little dude, you're too young. Stay as far away from politics as you can (not really though, just get your young butt out of AO...this is for your own good.)

Get interested in politics, learn what you can, but don't get caught up in the partisan crap that goes on. Make your own decisions based on your own thoughts and convictions.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    Oh, and for the record...

Republican,

pro life
  • Reply 8 of 53
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Explain to me what kind of independent you are, and the difference between a democrat and a republican and you'll get a gold star.

Seriously though little dude, you're too young. Stay as far away from politics as you can (not really though, just get your young butt out of AO...this is for your own good.)

Get interested in politics, learn what you can, but don't get caught up in the partisan crap that goes on. Make your own decisions based on your own thoughts and convictions.

What I've heard republicans are for tax cuts and low taxes. But so far Bush's tax cuts benifit the rich . Even though I'm somewhat rich I still see it as unfair to the lower classes to pay higher taxes. Democrats are more liberal. They tend to be more concerned about are own protection and stay out of things if we don't get attacked first. Even though I see myself as a democrat, I want Bush to win so we can show the f***king terroists that were not afraid of you.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

What I've heard republicans are for tax cuts and low taxes. But so far Bush's tax cuts benifit the rich . Even though I'm somewhat rich I still see it as unfair to the lower classes to pay higher taxes. Democrats are more liberal. They tend to be more concerned about are own protection and stay out of things if we don't get attacked first. Even though I see myself as a democrat, I want Bush to win so we can show the f***king terroists that were not afraid of you.

"Bush's tax cuts benefit the rich." - you have no doubt heard this on television, probably from John Kerry. Tax cuts were given proportional to the tax rate- people who paid more in got more back. Which brings us to this concept:

Progressive Income Tax

It IS unfair for lower classes to pay more taxes. In the United States, they do not. As a percent of total govt income, the majority of revenue comes from "the rich."

Hope this helps, and I am sure you are going to hear a whole lot more from everyone else regarding these points.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    we declare people dead when their heart stops, so i say once a heartbeat starts in the fetus (~3 weeks into the pregnancy) the pregnancy needs to go all the way through to delivery--no abortions.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    we can't force women to be incubators, just like i can't cut of the testicles of a boy if he get one of my daughters pregnant...

maybe we should just give all woman lobotomies when they get their first menstrual cycle...that way we won't have to worry about them thinking for themselves and making their own decisions or something silly like that...

g
  • Reply 12 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

we declare people dead when their heart stops, so i say once a heartbeat starts in the fetus (~3 weeks into the pregnancy) the pregnancy needs to go all the way through to delivery--no abortions.

rape?? incest??? we tell woman to wait till marriage or wait for the man you love...and then we tell her that she has to carry the child of a rapist inside her for 9 months? nice..."don't worry little girl, not only are you just an incubator, but you are an incubator for a person that defiled and abused you and has scarred you for life"

g
  • Reply 13 of 53
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

rape?? incest??? we tell woman to wait till marriage or wait for the man you love...and then we tell her that she has to carry the child of a rapist inside her for 9 months? nice..."don't worry little girl, not only are you just an incubator, but you are an incubator for a person that defiled and abused you and has scarred you for life"

g

ok i was assuming abortions in cases of incest and rape would be acceptable--i should have pointed that out. i definatley think that abortion in those specific situations is the right thing to do.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    but why do you feel that way if you think abortion is murder and that life begins with that fetus' heartbeat?? it's not the fetus' fault that it's papa is a rapist....

5 week fetus...

4 weeks ...

and here is a freaky page that shows a human fetus at 31 days compared to a fetal pig at 21 days...

here

sure they look alike, but some people 31 years old, not 31 days old, still look like pigs, so no big discovery there

g
  • Reply 15 of 53
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

sure they look alike, but some people 31 years old, not 31 days old, still look like pigs, so no big discovery there

hehe, very true.

I think there should be another poll asking if the same "pro-life" people also endorse the death penalty... - Pro-life my a**.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

hehe, very true.

I think there should be another poll asking if the same "pro-life" people also endorse the death penalty... - Pro-life my a**.

I'm pro life all the way. No death penalty, no abortions. Although it's very un-republican of me to say no to capitol punishment, that's where I stand on it.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Here's an interesting spin:

I think the government should sponsor a policy that makes abortion legal only until the fetus is deemed sentient. I think there's some noticeable point in development where this happens, and a scientist could give you a pretty reliable window.

Personally, I'm Pro-Life, and I'd never want anyone to have an abortion. But the government shouldn't take a religious stance on any issues. Government policy should stay purely scientific.
  • Reply 18 of 53
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Party: Independent

Abortion: Nobody's damned business except the patient and her doctor. End of story.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

we can't force women to be incubators, just like i can't cut of the testicles of a boy if he get one of my daughters pregnant...

maybe we should just give all woman lobotomies when they get their first menstrual cycle...that way we won't have to worry about them thinking for themselves and making their own decisions or something silly like that...

g

But g... I saw you sharping that knife after that one boy looked at your daughter's piercing... you know that one you DON'T know about yet.

Nick
  • Reply 20 of 53
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

hehe, very true.

Would you apply the same sort of mockery for the hypocrisy of those who claim that abortion is okay because the children are unwanted and not likely to be well cared for, we already have overpopulation, etc. In otherwords killing is okay when it makes life better, but then complain that you shouldn't touch a hair on the head of people who have usually committed multiple murder/rapes/molestations/etc.

The reasoning seems VERY consistant to me to be pro-choice and pro-death penalty. Not the opposite.

Nick